2013 Toyota Highlander

I have a 2013 Toyota Highlander with 118000 miles. I had to replace the water pump again at 118000. I replace it at 52000. Seems it should last longer. Is this a fluke or does Toyota water pumps not last that long?

thanks

Toyota has had issues of late. But I have not heard much about having to do the job twice. What did you use for a replacement pump? Aisin or other?

Originally Posted by millerbl00
I have a 2013 Toyota Highlander with 118000 miles. I had to replace the water pump again at 118000. I replace it at 52000. Seems it should last longer. Is this a fluke or does Toyota water pumps not last that long?

thanks

My dad gave me his 96 Toyota Tacoma and in the 19 years we owned it it never needed a water pump and my 2006 Tacoma still has its original water pump but the 1992 6 cyl Toyota truck I had needed a water pump with in the warranty period and failed just before the cam belt needed changing ,,about 55,000 miles like clockwork.

I've driven quite a few older cars with lots of miles on the odometer over the decades. Only two ever needed water pumps, both were inexpensive Mopar cars, one a 1979 the other a 1981.

The car still had a warranty. the dealership did it

Hmm. Should have been an OEM part then. Dunno.

Could just be a fluke--as in, some percentage of parts will fail early, and somehow you got to be the lucky guy who got two bum parts in a row. If you toss a third part in and it too fails early... again, luck of the draw but at that point I'd be rather miffed.

Right now I have 3 Toyotas, granted none of them are related in the least to yours, but two have original pumps, one at 160k (despite being one of the problem Toyota engines) and the other at 206k. The third gets a new pump every 90k as part of its timing belt job so maybe it doesn't count... There have been plenty of complaints about short life on Toyota water pumps, but as to what the actual failure rate is, I do believe it is "low" and not something like 52% of all Toyota's will need a pump before 100k sort of statistic. Much higher than other brands, yes, but I suspect it's single digit percentage. Just a SWAG.

It was leaking from weep hole. I am hearing they have a high failure rate

Well, they do have a "high" failure rate, yes.

Have you priced out the repair? I believe this is a 2GR-FE V6 that you have? I don't know if the AWD aspect changes anything, but I was watching a vid on how to do it in a (Sienna? RAV4?) and it didn't look bad. The book says to pull the engine but I don't think anyone does that anymore--instead, after getting junk out of the way, you support the engine, remove the top engine mount, undo all the bolts that can be done, loosen the problem one that won't come out, then lower the engine an inch, and then it comes apart. It's still a few hours shop time but I'm not sure it's actually worse than other typical water pump jobs.

Not sure if you want to get rid of this vehicle over this problem, or if you just want to vent about a problem that just shouldn't happen.

Just venting. Its been a good vehicle. the steering shaft was replaced under warranty too. But the roads are very bad here

On my Sienna, the original went the 103K till timing belt was replaced (along with water pump). That second one went out at 65K. The original in my highlander lasted till 90K, when it was replaced along with timing belt. I'm hoping that one lasts till the next timing belt replacement.

So 2 out of 3 lasted until about when it was time to replace timing belt. That's not a great ratio, but better than 52%, so I suppose I should be happy.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by paulri
On my Sienna, the original went the 103K till timing belt was replaced (along with water pump). That second one went out at 65K. The original in my highlander lasted till 90K, when it was replaced along with timing belt. I'm hoping that one lasts till the next timing belt replacement.

So 2 out of 3 lasted until about when it was time to replace timing belt. That's not a great ratio, but better than 52%, so I suppose I should be happy.
smile.gif

Are the newer Toyota water pumps still being manufactured by Aisin? If so that is unfortunate that they are failing early, Aisin was always my go-to for water pumps due to their superior quality.

Not uncommon for dealers to source parts from local parts stores. Maybe that is what they did?

A few years ago I ordered a radiator from the chevy dealer per the customers request.

They charged us the full GM cost but they just called 1800radiator and brought us a Lynol brand .

Originally Posted by paulri

smile.gif

The OP's Highlander engine uses timing CHAIN. So the Water Pump is actually replaceable without removing the timing cover.

In my 2004 Sienna, the first time the Timing belt was changed at 145K and the water pump was still good.
The mechanic who did it just wiggle the impeller to test for some play.
Small play but bad yet.

Last edited:
The car still had a warranty. the dealership did it

Unfortunately you will never know if the replacement WP failed due to a defect or installation error. Maybe the original WP was not even replaced? I have been on the receiving end of some very dishonest and incompetent warranty work by two different Lexus and one Toyota dealerships.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
Did you put in the correct coolant?

Could a different coolant than the one recommended by the manufacturer be the primary cause of the part failing?

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by JMJNet
Did you put in the correct coolant?

Could a different coolant than the one recommended by the manufacturer be the primary cause of the part failing?

If it has silicates and borates, it could. However, both SLLC (pink) and LLC (red) Toyota coolants are silicate and borate free.
I would assume Toyota dealership used one of these.

Factory water pump on my 2006 Tacoma 4-cylinder started weeping around 150k miles. I wish it had gone longer but I can't really complain much. Replaced with Aisin OE pump, now 13k miles later and no issues. Seems odd that any vehicle would need two water pump replacements in 120k miles, regardless of brand.

Back