How much play on a CV axle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a CV axle replaced about a couple years ago. Now I hear a clunking sound when my car goes over depressions like manhole covers. When I removed the wheel and checked, I could fell the axle move along the length of the shaft and clunk. Is there supposed to be this movement?

Typical lifespan of front driveshafts are 2 years. That clunking could also be the front bearings or the the lower balljoint.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken4:
Typical lifespan of front driveshafts are 2 years. snip....

On what? My Phoenix, Grand Am, and daughter's Beretta all were approaching 200K at 10 years with the original front drive line except for a couple of boots. Even my son's Hyundai only got him for a timing belt. There were other problems, I lost count of wheel bearings on the Grand Am. Maybe that was because of cheap ones from Advance auto.

cv joints seldom wear out from normal driving. what usually kills them is a ripped boot which lets grease out, and dirt and water in. rarely have i seen a cv joint wear out from age and not contaimination. only one time as a matter of fact, my friends 1.8L jetta which he rallycrosses. high joint angles coupled with lots of first gear made his joints start clicking even though the boots are in fine shape.

for most people, check your boots every couple thousand miles for cracking or rips. if its getting worn, replace it. a $7 boot is alot cheaper than a $50 cv joint.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
....except for a couple of boots.

That's the problem, the boots are always the first to go, then it's only a matter of time before the CV joint runs dry. I remove the driveshafts and bring it to the shop. It costs me S$120 per driveshaft to replace new boots, new grease, new straps and new CV joint. If I decide to reuse the old CV joint, it costs S$70. The difference is not great, so I dont mind paying for new CV joints.

No one has mentioned play yet.

CV axles do not last 2 years. The passenger side is still original with a new boot, 14-15 years old and approx 300,000 km. The problem is that I lent my car to my sister for two years and she never got the car checked out and drove with a cracked boot and that did it in. She replaced it with a refurb.

My wheel bearings are OK and I just got some new lower ball joints.

When I remove the hub nut, the lower balljoint nuts and lift the hub out of the lower suspension arm, yes the CV joint can move in & out quite a lot. But I didnt hear any clunking sound on mine.

yes the joint should slide in and out a wee bit. If you look at the suspension geometry the half-axle is somewhat of a hypotenuse (sp?) that is required to change in length.

A quick & easy to check your boots is to look for grease when you are changing your oil or doing other service. If you have a torn boot, grease will sling everywhere.
cheers.gif

Well maybe most on this board. Judging by how many axles are sold "most" people don't even inspect boots for years and then they hear this clicking sound.........

There should be no slack in the joint. You should have no slack at all. You didn't say what this was on (did you?). My Caravan's CVs went bad because of bad motor mounts (caused extreme angles ..and yes, it had cut boots). Those axles just slip out of the transaxle...while on my Taurus ..the are "retained" by an internal clip (you don't have to go internally to fit them ..they snap in and need coaxing to remove).

Are you sure that you don't have bad bearings in the transaxle that is responsible for the slack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back