Kia, Hyundai, Mazda - Used Car Candidates

Hello Everyone,

Looking for some advice for replacement vehicle for my son. Looking at used models from the three brands above. I have since ruled out most Nissan's due to past and recent CVT reliability issues, Honda questionable quality in last 5 years and major component sharing with other makes where said components had questionable quality, Toyota - generally beyond my price / budget for equal size models and mileage, Mitsubishi - few dealers here in major metro area where I live, and seems to have the lowest used population to pick from.

Given my focus, I also want to stay away from any models from these makes that may have CVT transmissions, direct fuel injected engines that have proved problematic due to valve deposits, and any other model specific issues.....i.e. my belief is Kia had huge problem with door latch / striker corrosion a few years back.

Kia, and Hyundai are also starting to use CVTs in some of their smaller platforms.....no doubt be cause of cost and MPG requirements. I am not sure if these are of their own design or they use Aisin as the supplier. Also, are there any issues / recommendations to stay away from regarding models with direct injection that also have questionable reliability?

Thanks in advance to all for your thoughts.

Whats your budget? Many times when a budget gets low how someone took care of the car, or did not, affects its reliability as much or more than the car itself.

Is the 3rd gen Mazda3 in your price range? It's a great car, although I'd probably hit it with some of the CRC GDI cleaner. Every 15-20k.

Kia/Hyunai use an in-house transmission. Their 6 speed auto is a very solid, reliable transmission. They're the only two of the 3 you listed that have a MPI engine option, at least in the Elantra. Mazda only offers a GDI in recent years, at least that I'm aware of. Mazda is a good driver's car- it handles well, give good feedback in acceleration, steering, and breaking, and so on. Upper trim models for Mazda have good fit and finish and in my opinion, it's made of quality parts. However, I've found the Mazda interiors in their base models to be chintzy and full of rattles. My Mazda3 had a rattle in the dashboard that would drive me absolutely crazy. While Hyundai isn't using premium parts on their base model vehicles either, I much prefer the interior fit and finish, as well as the design, of the Elantra over the Mazda3. However, Mazda is a brand favorite on here so I'm sure many will disagree with that.

Having owned both a Mazda3 and the Elantra, I don't regret going from Mazda to Hyundai in the slightest. However, that's just my preference. In my opinion, you really can't go wrong with either car, although, since you didn't mention what specific models you were looking for, I'll leave you with this. Mazda does GDI better than Hyundai/Kia, in my opinion. If you are looking at the mid-size sedans for your son, go with Mazda. Hyundai/Kia only offers GDI in their mid-size sedans (at least that I know of), and so I'd go with the Mazda6. If you're looking at the compact cars, I'd go with Hyun/Kia. That said, let your son drive each and buy the one he likes the most. No car is perfect and it's amazing how much more leniency you'll give a car that you actually like driving over one that you're indifferent towards.

=1 on Mazda. I was and still am in love with VW's but we have 2 mazdas now . We have a Mazda 5 and a CX5. No problems and fun to drive.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Nothing wrong with GDI, those "issues" are overblown.

I didn't say that there was necessarily anything wrong, but it's hard to argue that Mazda doesn't do GDI better than Hyun/Kia.

Originally Posted by JustN89

I didn't say that there was necessarily anything wrong, but it's hard to argue that Mazda doesn't do GDI better than Hyun/Kia.

Hyundai, for whatever reason, sells many times more GDI vehicles than Mazda. The number of issues per percentage on the road needs to be included in that argument.

Check out 'Carcomplaints.com".....If you are looking for a car in the $3000 range....the 2007 and 2008 Elantra can't be beat....certain years of Mazda3 don't do as well as others.

If your budget is more than $3000 you can do well with either or even a Corolla (avoid 2009)...

Have had five HyunKia products without incident and family is currently driving a Soul, and Optima and an Accent-- all Hertz cars and all trouble free. Intrigued by Mazda, and maybe some day but troubled by lack of brand loyalty by Mazda owners. It might just be body integrity in the rust belt.

In the used car market, liking an individual car and getting it at a good price might trump brand loyalty.

Last edited:
The Yaris and Versa used a regular 4-speed automatic up until a few years ago
smile.gif

The Chevy Spark has a CVT, but the engine is still non-DI and no turbo. The first-gen Spark has a 4-speed auto.

What is wrong with Mazda GDI?

Originally Posted by PimTac

What is wrong with Mazda GDI?

Nothing... Please re-read. Mazda, in my opinion, does GDI better than Hyun/Kia.

Again, we're arguing brands here. If I was looking for a used car I might just choose from these three myself. But, having decided that, I would be looking at the best deal for the cleanest car, not continuing to argue brands. HOW GOOD IS THAT CAR? HOW CHEAP IS THAT CAR?

Back