Is Liquimoly Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by TiGeo
Originally Posted by BucDan
Liqui Moly has always had a cult following in the VW community. Same goes for Motul, as they both heavily advertise to the VW car communities. Nothing wrong with it, but doesn't make it any more superior than the other brands. It's basically more hip to use liquimoly in your VW car, which is fine, but test numbers don't lie, they are all within margin of each other.

Trust me, owning an Audi and being part of Audizine and Audiworld, yeah it's LM and Motul advertising galore in the hivemind. I just dumped Motul XCess for Penn Plat Euro 100 miles ago, car feels the same. It's no different with Shell/Pennzoil advertising here and "surprisingly" everyone recommends PUP or PP.

In the end, use whatever meets specs and helps you sleep at night. Who cares what anyone else says. If spending that extra $5 for that brand makes you feel good, then you do your thing.

Someone that gets it.

So basically you are buying it bcs. it is is cool?
Remember, that LM pales in comparison to other oils. It is in PDS. All this is just to figure out reason why so much hype. That is why I am asking you in topic "Is LM overrated."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
I don't believe I've said I buy LM to "feel cool" or ever used the word cool...maybe being sarcastic at some point? I don't buy LM to be cool/look cool/have you think my garage is cool - that's something a few folks here seem to be fixated on w/r to me? I've been clear why I have chosen LM in my car, it's not very exciting b/c it's not based on NOACK or HTHS. It's a popular oil for VWs within the enthusiast community that mod their cars/add power etc. It has the correct approval(s) indicating it meets the requirements necessary and I like the places I spend my money through to get...that's all it really is as hard as that may be to believe. If we all only bought based on logic, we'd all be driving Toyotas. Emotion plays into purchases, even for oil. Enjoy your M1 (I used to in my MKIV Jetta!) and I'll enjoy my too-cool-for-school LM. Both our cars will run forever I'm sure....unless I put an even bigger turbo on it next year then maybe I'll send a piston to Mars!

Enthusiast community is set definiately more for Motul than Liqui Moly, if Liqui Moly at all. It is pushed by few vendors who make a buck on it. However, what you saying is that if "enthusiast community tomorrow moves to Costco Extra Virgin oil you will too?

Recent poll on our MK7 wagon page. Extra virgin Costco...yum...

Online enthusiast community? If one is not there is not enthusiast?
Sample of how many?

I don't believe I've said I buy LM to "feel cool" or ever used the word cool...maybe being sarcastic at some point? I don't buy LM to be cool/look cool/have you think my garage is cool - that's something a few folks here seem to be fixated on w/r to me? I've been clear why I have chosen LM in my car, it's not very exciting b/c it's not based on NOACK or HTHS. It's a popular oil for VWs within the enthusiast community that mod their cars/add power etc. It has the correct approval(s) indicating it meets the requirements necessary and I like the places I spend my money through to get...that's all it really is as hard as that may be to believe. If we all only bought based on logic, we'd all be driving Toyotas. Emotion plays into purchases, even for oil. Enjoy your M1 (I used to in my MKIV Jetta!) and I'll enjoy my too-cool-for-school LM. Both our cars will run forever I'm sure....unless I put an even bigger turbo on it next year then maybe I'll send a piston to Mars!

Enthusiast community is set definiately more for Motul than Liqui Moly, if Liqui Moly at all. It is pushed by few vendors who make a buck on it. However, what you saying is that if "enthusiast community tomorrow moves to Costco Extra Virgin oil you will too?

Recent poll on our MK7 wagon page. Extra virgin Costco...yum...

Online enthusiast community? If one is not there is not enthusiast?
Sample of how many?

At this point not much more I can say to help you understand why folks may want to use LM vs. other oils and those reasons are driven by other things than you find on the PDS and this isn't b/c those folks think they are cooler than you. You think it's overrated - I'd say it's overpriced and that's why folks on BITOG aren't a fan - b/c you can buy oils that do the same thing (or more according to you!) for less money. Obviously one can be an enthusiast without being on a FB page or a car club - come on man....you're just being a [censored] now. The VW MK7 wagon page is about 3K folks and the regular MK7 page is about 20K with all the GTI kids. Of those, you are getting a few hundred that participate regularly. The polls usually get 50-100 folks at most. It's a cross section of the group. You will see similar spread if you did the same poll on vortex or other prominent online VW forums. You made a comment that Motul is the one and LM isn't popular at all - that is not accurate based on what I have seen. While Motul is popular and is discussed a lot, it's not going to supersede LM in those groups. It's been stated here by others that LM markets heavily in this community and that is 100% correct and part of why you see the heavy LM use in the groups I have mentioned. The vendors and shops (the high-end Euro shop that does the bits on my car uses/promotes it) that advertise, do DIY videos, run sales, sell aftermarket performance parts etc. all sell LM so no surprise folks use it and like it. Enjoy you M1, I know it worked well for me in my Jetta and I always mention it as the go-to if you just want to go to Walmart or Costco and pick up an oil change kit vs, order LM online.

At this point not much more I can say to help you understand why folks may want to use LM vs. other oils and those reasons are driven by other things than you find on the PDS and this isn't b/c those folks think they are cooler than you. You think it's overrated - I'd say it's overpriced and that's why folks on BITOG aren't a fan - b/c you can buy oils that do the same thing (or more according to you!) for less money. Obviously one can be an enthusiast without being on a FB page or a car club - come on man....you're just being a [censored] now. The VW MK7 wagon page is about 3K folks and the regular MK7 page is about 20K with all the GTI kids. Of those, you are getting a few hundred that participate regularly. The polls usually get 50-100 folks at most. It's a cross section of the group. You will see similar spread if you did the same poll on vortex or other prominent online VW forums. You made a comment that Motul is the one and LM isn't popular at all - that is not accurate based on what I have seen. While Motul is popular and is discussed a lot, it's not going to supersede LM in those groups. It's been stated here by others that LM markets heavily in this community and that is 100% correct and part of why you see the heavy LM use in the groups I have mentioned. The vendors and shops (the high-end Euro shop that does the bits on my car uses/promotes it) that advertise, do DIY videos, run sales, sell aftermarket performance parts etc. all sell LM so no surprise folks use it and like it. Enjoy you M1, I know it worked well for me in my Jetta and I always mention it as the go-to if you just want to go to Walmart or Costco and pick up an oil change kit vs, order LM online.

Let's look at it a different way. Let's say you are comparing two oils, one from LM and one from ExxonMobil that both carry Mercedes-Benz 229.5 approval. Back to your comment about cost and "other things", why would you purchase the LM product? What makes it better and what are those other things?

Going after members personally is not allowed.
Hey kschachn, looks like you are a Castrol fanboy lol here is one of your posts from 2017 and it doesnt make sense...

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by minis
just bought a C300 and was wondering which oil would be best to use to meet the 229.5 oil spec?
Amsoil European oil
Schaeffer's 8000 series
Mobil 1
Liquid Moly
or something else

Up to you, but I would go to Walmart and buy the least expensive thing on the shelf that actually carries the required specification. It really isn't going to matter much after that, any oil that carries the specification is going to be much like any other. Does the Shaeffer's actually have the specification or is it "suitable for use"?

Castrol Edge 0W-40 would be my pick, or I think there is still a rebate going on for M1. If there is then go for that instead.

Last edited:
TiGeo 400rwkw I don't know how that is relevant to my question? But to give an answer to a facetious question, the reason I said that was because at the time the Castrol product still had Longlife-01 approval whereas the Mobil 1 product did not. A recommendation based on technical reasons.

Perhaps it is impossible to have a factual conversation about this without reverting to "fanboy" and other non-technical remarks. That's usually where the discussion goes when there are no other arguments remaining.

Trolling.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back