Filled wrong spec oil in S55 motor

Hi all,

Oil noob here. I filled Penrite ten tenths 0w-30 in my M4 not realising it's not an LL-01 oil.

Will this warrant an immediate change? I've done enough research now to settle on M1 0w-40 (not ll-01 anymore but apparently still a good option).

Thanks

Originally Posted by nolube
Oil noob here. I filled Penrite ten tenths 0w-30 in my M4 not realising it's not an LL-01 oil.

Will this warrant an immediate change? I've done enough research now to settle on M1 0w-40 (not ll-01 anymore but apparently still a good option).

That's odd since it doesn't appear that the 10 Tenths product is offered in a 0W-30. Maybe check again and get back?

In the United States the BMW dealership are instructed to use LL01FE (A5/B5) for the S55.

LL01 is NOT required for the S55.

The S55 can use:

LL01 (A3/B4)
LL01FE(A5/B5)
LL04(C3)
LL12FE(C2)

If the car's under warranty then use something with the appropriate specs, if not, I don't see what harm a Euro spec 0w30 would have in it just maybe don't go super long on the OCI, But 0w30 and 0w40 oils tend to be very similar the 0w40s tend to be just a smidgen thicker and barely meet as 40 grade viscosity, I'm guessing they're not really formulated with SAE viscosity grade in mind but more in line with euro car specs which seem to want an oil around 12-13CSt with a higher HTHS viscosity which puts them on the fence between being a 0w30 and a 0w40, M1 0w40 tends to shear back to being a 0w30 pretty quickly anyways.

Hi all,

Thanks

Yep, I would.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
In the United States the BMW dealership are instructed to use LL01FE (A5/B5) for the S55.

LL01 is NOT required for the S55.

The S55 can use:

LL01 (A3/B4)
LL01FE(A5/B5)
LL04(C3)
LL12FE(C2)

In Australia it is LL01.

Originally Posted by kschachn

That's odd since it doesn't appear that the 10 Tenths product is offered in a 0W-30. Maybe check again and get back?

My bad, nice pick up. It's actually Ten tenths, Racing 5, 5W-30. Thanks for all your responses so far.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/10-tenths-racing-5w-30-100-pao-ester

Last edited:
Back