Running 40 PSI vs 35

My Raptor calls for 38 but I run 35ish up front and 32-33 in the back. Rides much better that way and doesn't wear the center out of the BFGs based on forum users‘ experience. The dealer had them all at 50 when I purchased it. Stopped a mile down the road and aired them down. You could feel a grain of sand under them at 50 psi.

There are web tips for ‘high miliers' with vehicle tips. A few extra psi is only one of the items. I don't think it would make a significant difference, but it all adds up.

Yes, I'll often go a few psi above the door jam, but not beyond the sidewalk limit. If the door jam says 32 I may go up to 36-38.

Originally Posted by Eddie
That paper doesn't equate to an over-pressure of 10 or more pounds like we are referring to. Ed

In your first post you said 10% now you're talking about 10 pounds, that is a big difference. Ten pounds over the door placard would put most tires at or near the maximum PSI listed on the tire and I don't think anyone has suggested doing that, 10% over the placard is still safely under the maximum PSI for most tires. The OP was asking about going from 35 to 40, not 35 to 45.

I tend to like the way 45PSI feels in my Jag. Responsive. But they are small tires. 205-55-16 I think.

Last edited:
I run 40 in front and 38 in rear on both cars. My tires wear much better at 40, at 35 or 36 they tend to wear on both outside edges.

Coming from an old [censored] here so take it for what it's worth...
PSI rating from the vehicle manufacture is best.
Working in a Fleet setting during the Ford Explorer recall and know for fact that vehicle manufacturers have safety in mind with PSI placards.
Adjustments to the required settings are supposed to be before the tire is up to operating temp. 35 PSI at a "cold" temp will climb substantially after driving. More during hot weather of course.
Starting off with a cold setting of 40 PSI results in a tire with 45 PSI after reaching operating temp. That can be the max according to some tire manufactures.

All of this is means nothing if tire sizes have been altered from original equipment specs.

Low PSI (for cushy ride) is what caused the Ford Explorer roll overs due to tires overheating/blowout and rolling over the sidewalls etc.

Too high can also create heat due to natural heat generated expansion and the weight of the vehicle rolling on a very small center tread patch area of the tire.

Neither scenario is worth the trouble.

Opinions are like a belly button...worthless but everybody has one

Could lead to early wear on suspension and tire damage . Run ours 2 > 3 P.S.I. over the suggested inflation .

PontiacHO said:

Adjustments to the required settings are supposed to be before the tire is up to operating temp. 35 PSI at a "cold" temp will climb substantially after driving. More during hot weather of course.
Starting off with a cold setting of 40 PSI results in a tire with 45 PSI after reaching operating temp. That can be the max according to some tire manufactures.

That is incorrect info. The sidewall max PSIis for a cold tire, you are implying that anything over the max, even when tire is hot is bad, not the case The manufacturers specs say max cold PSI, they know it will rise above that when hot and that is taken into account

Originally Posted by grampi
Originally Posted by zfasts03
It's tougher on suspension components.

Maybe if you inflate to max pressure as listed on the tire, but running at the recommended pressure +5, I don't think this is true...

Then I should be OK. The tire shops wanted to run 35 PSI in my Prius C tires and I now run 40 PSI.

Back with the Ford Explorer tire issues I think they had the psi on the door jam down to 26 or so, maybe 28. That was for ride quality, at least in part.

There may be some effect with a little extra psi on shock components, I think it's minor and depends on the roads & how driven. I generally would rather a tire 3 psi high than low.

I'm really the other way … about 2 psi under and gain 3 psi when hot …

the psi stated is for the maximum load rated for the tire. bigger/wider tires than stock require less pressure than the sidewall pressure rating. many jeep guys with big tires will run only 20psi. the key issue is to monitor tire wear. wear on the outter an inner treads indicate under inflation for your specific appliction. wear down the center indicates over inflation. a good tire shop would probably recommend max pressure for a stock size tire in the front and a bit less in the rears.

Last edited:
PSI rating from the vehicle manufacture is best.
Working in a Fleet setting during the Ford Explorer recall and know for fact that vehicle manufacturers have safety in mind with PSI placards.

All of this is means nothing if tire sizes have been altered from original equipment specs.

Low PSI (for cushy ride) is what caused the Ford Explorer roll overs due to tires overheating/blowout and rolling over the sidewalls etc.

Too high can also create heat due to natural heat generated expansion and the weight of the vehicle rolling on a very small center tread patch area of the tire.

Neither scenario is worth the trouble.

Opinions are like a belly button...worthless but everybody has one

The heat thing is a bit far fetched, I think. I completely agree that pressure increases with temperature, that's simple physics. However, I've set my Volt's 215/55R17 tires at 40 PSI cold, and have never seen over a 3 PSI increase in pressure, according to the TPMS sensors. I observed this over a ~130 mile trip with speeds in the high 70's/low 80's and 90 degree ambient temps. The tires were filled at somewhere around 70 degrees ambient. It's been proven that under-inflated tires produce more rolling resistance, and therefore more heat.

Also, the "max PSI" pressure rating on the side of any given tire is a legal thing. Look how many tires have "45 PSI MAX PRESSURE" stamped on the side. C'mon... you want to believe that every tire made, in multitudes of sizes, has the EXACT same max pressure? It's no different than the gentleman's agreement between European cars way back when where they agreed to a 155 MPH speed limiter. 45 PSI is an extremely safe number, and I guarantee that any tire produced today can handle it, and probably 50 PSI consistently.

Keep in mind I'm not talking about a car that's towing, filled with 4 overweight adults, or otherwise compromised up-to and beyond it's capabilities. I'm talking about a regular vehicle in regular conditions with 2 average passengers. I, personally, noticed immediate tire wear on my Volt with the tires at the factory 38 PSI. The shoulders were wearing fast, and that was with 5k mile rotations and light driving. I upped them to 43 PSI cold, around 46-47 PSI hot, and the tires are wearing dead even. The electric range stayed the same, +/- a mile or two and the gas engine mileage is within 1%. I'm satisfied.

I play around with a couple of PSI above and below the door placard rating whenever I get new tires, but find that the sweet spot is usually very close to what the engineers recommended. I run 33psi on the front and 32psi on the rears of the 08 TL (235/45R17) and 34 all around on the '20 Forte GT (225/40R18). I do plan on selling the 18" wheels and switching to 17s on the Forte GT when the tires wear out to get more sidewall between the wheel and pavement.

Chalk test to make sure you have even contact with the tire. Over inflation leads to inside wear, under outside wear. Check PSI when the tires are cool.

Back