2012 Toyota Highlander - tire, door ajar indicator is on

Recently purchased a 2012 Toyota Highlander with 35K miles. The tire, door ajar, and interior light started randomly coming on when hitting a bump and now is on continuously. Tips and tricks on what to check?

I know the low tire pressure warning will come in in my parents 2013 Highlander if the spare tire is low. We couldn't figure out why it said low tire after we checked all of the tires and they were fine. On a whim, we checked the spare and it was low. Turns out it has a TPMS sensor in it as well. Put air in it, and it was fine ever since.

As far as the door ajar and interior lights staying on, sounds like a door latch issue or something. Is the tailgate fully latched/secure?

Originally Posted by JDMorgan
Recently purchased a 2012 Toyota Highlander with 35K miles. The tire, door ajar, and interior light started randomly coming on when hitting a bump and now is on continuously. Tips and tricks on what to check?

I would start with the simple things then dive deeper. Maybe a Toyota Highlander web sight would be a better source of information than a motor oil site

Checking the door switches might reveal one that is not closing fully. It might be loose in the mount. Same with the lift gate.

Years ago I had one door on a car that was cattywumpus. It would signal that it wasn't closed either. The quick and cheap fix was electrical tape strategically placed to ensure the door switch was fully closed.

WD40 in the door jams holes to free up the door open/closed switch. You can usually isolate which door but if not spray em all and open and close each door about 15 times to free them up. This might not be a Toyota resolution but this has been the solution for Fords that do that for the last 2 decades.

Has the vehicle been wrecked? That's abnormal for Toyota. Could also be a battery getting ready to fail or loose connection.

I like the idea of checking the spare tire(TPMS) and the door(s) jamb buttons for adjustments.

Also, e.g., my wife's Lexus RX dash(infotainment) clock would reset back to 1:00(not 12:00) when the battery was getting weak. I believe this is a Toy/Lex thing.

Another question I have with any vehicle with(even minor) electric gremlins is, has there been any other non factory(non-OE) electrical components installed in this vehicle such a Remote Engine Start(RES) or radio amplifier etc.?

Last edited:
Was an aftermarket alarm ever installed? Many Toyota and Honda dealers love to install SWDS/KARR or similar alarms for "inventory management" but also a easy $500-1000 at the F&I office. They are spliced onto the factory wiring.

Good to know about the spare tire. It has no after-market parts, etc. I'll spray those doors, check the spare and battery. It's a like-new vehicle. Thank you for your advice.

Last edited:
Back