JD Power Initial Quality Rankings

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Starman2112
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by gfh77665
The biggest scam in the automotive world is Scotty.

Scotty = 100% clickbait.

The absolute worst. He kept coming up on my recommended videos since I clicked on a few here, so I blocked his channel.

Discredit Scotty all you want but it doesn't mean he's wrong about JD Power.

Doesn't mean he's right either.
In this case, he is.

Originally Posted by wag123

In this case, he is.

As the saying goes, a broken clock is still right twice a day. Quoting Scotty is like quoting Greta, being loud and having a platform doesn't make you an expert.

Originally Posted by itguy08
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

This site tells you why these cars are showing up at auction. The MY, the mileage and the issues tell you a lot about the vehicle.

Does the paid portion give more insight?

For example, the free stuff here is very lacking: http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Hyundai_Genesis.html

What's the difference between a "Powertrain issue", "Engine Issue", and "Transmission Issue"?

The metholodgy makes little sense - "Let's take auction cars, apply some voodoo to only the powertrain and get a "quality score". Really? It may help spot trends but it's of no better value than JD Powers. If anything CR is the best since they may still report on the areas of the various systems (AC, engine, trans, body, etc).

It's on their site but I'll tell you.

Powertrain Issue: Engine or Transmission issues, "These defects are severe enough to impact the operation of the vehicle"

They then give you the break down of which percent as a whole have engine or transmission issues. Now the percent with only engine or only transmission issues won't equal the powertrain percentage because obviously some vehicles could have both.

They also tell you the mileage at which the vehicles which show up. For the Genesis they get a ton of these vehicles at auction with only 72k miles on the odometer but only 12 percent have some sort of drivability issue.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by itguy08
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

This site tells you why these cars are showing up at auction. The MY, the mileage and the issues tell you a lot about the vehicle.

Does the paid portion give more insight?

For example, the free stuff here is very lacking: http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Hyundai_Genesis.html

What's the difference between a "Powertrain issue", "Engine Issue", and "Transmission Issue"?

The metholodgy makes little sense - "Let's take auction cars, apply some voodoo to only the powertrain and get a "quality score". Really? It may help spot trends but it's of no better value than JD Powers. If anything CR is the best since they may still report on the areas of the various systems (AC, engine, trans, body, etc).

And then you come across nonsense like this on that site... At best they get generations of vehicles correct, but sometimes there is a big powertrain change in that generation which can drastically change the ratings but they don't differentiate that either.
[Linked Image]

If you just scrolled down it breaks out by model year so you can cross reference that with changes in power train.

So for your example starting in 2012 the Charger scored out above avg and has been ever since.

IMO the biggest issue with this site is that it could use a tad more granularity. For example you don't know if the problem Chargers are the V6 or the V8 and people are dumping the V8's.

In any case it tells you at what mileage these cars are going to auction and a general idea of in which mechanical condition.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

In this case, he is.

As the saying goes, a broken clock is still right twice a day. Quoting Scotty is like quoting Greta, being loud and having a platform doesn't make you an expert.

If you believe the JD Power nonsense then that says all I need to know about your "expertise".

Originally Posted by Starman2112
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

In this case, he is.

If you believe the JD Power nonsense then that says all I need to know about your "expertise".

Didn't say I believed JD Power either, my comment was with respect to Scotty. I'm actually more likely to side with itguy08 on this one with Consumer Reports likely being the most honest take.

There are multitudes of marketing research studies, many of which aren't publicized, or used as marketing tools like JDP's are, and those who have studied marketing are familiar with their design, scope, and subsequent limitations. I would trust that the OEMs who buy the research from JD Power and others also recognize this, and find value in them.

JDP is but one source, and one may take them for what they're worth, but they did make John David a rich man. He sold his firm to McGraw-Hill for hundreds of millions, and a bit over a decade later, it flipped the company for more than double what it paid.

If it's nonsense, it's spelled with a $.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Still waiting for the breakdown of our 2018 VW Tiguan now with 62k. Flawless!

Well, you actually own a VW, so by BITOG standards your experience is not a valid data point.

I agree that 'Initial Quality Results' mean very little.....I would have more faith in a survey done after.... say....7 or 8 years of ownership...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pbm
I agree that 'Initial Quality Results' mean very little.....I would have more faith in a survey done after.... say....7 or 8 years of ownership...

Exactly!

lol @ JD Powers. Their ratings haven't correlated with the quality of vehicles EVER...or at least since the early 90s when their ratings were heavily advertised by the "winners". Initial quality is a useless accolade of a daily use product kept five years or more on average.

Originally Posted by buster
I guess IQS gives you some measure of quality. I feel like it changes so often I'm not that confident in it.

The CX-30 I have that was built in February of 2020 has been solid but did have two minor issues - front caliper bolts weren't properly torqued. I also randomly noticed that the bolt that holds the passenger side rear brake light was loose. Other than that, no issues so far.

For quality, I try and look for proven powertrains more than anything else. Usually engines that have been on the market for quite some time you can get an idea of how well they hold up.

So it's interesting to think about this finding of yours. I guess if we extrapolate you're experience to 100 people, Mazda would have a score of 200, for really not much of anything (well maybe the brake was).

I've thought about it the other way too. My accord hybrid has been perfect. Thus if I extrapolated out it would be zero.

The numbers seem to show overall that every car has a flaw or reason for a recorded "interaction". I don't know that I believe that.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Unless they list the defects, their numbers are meaningless.

Agree. I had read at one point that one vendor, maybe Honda or Saab (?) had been suffering quite a bit because of issues with infotainment. Not necessarily bad or failed systems, just user error and incompatible tech. My understanding was that essentially if a person couldn't get their phone to pair to Bluetooth, and went to the dealer for help, it was an incident.

Interesting how this site, as well as JD Powers, goes against everything I've read/been told about Jeep Wranglers. It's tough to get good quality/reliability data it seems.

Didn't say I believed JD Power either, my comment was with respect to Scotty. I'm actually more likely to side with itguy08 on this one with Consumer Reports likely being the most honest take.

I can't trust CR anymore - I bought a robot vac that was a CR #3 or #4 rated for reliability. This CR recommended robot vac that was ~$550 when new is on its last legs ~3 years later due to a severely degraded battery pack, can't really find a replacement battery either.

Comparing the IQS and Dependability posted above I have to say VW has made some huge strides from the dark days of the B5 Passat and MKIV Jetta/Golf/New Beetle. They were still even not too dependable the first part of the MKV - J/G/NB. Now top #10 in IQS and right there under Toyota on dependability.

But.....But.....But.....

.>

Can't anyone just pony up $25k to buy a JDPower award?

I was pondering just that to claim the stake of "Best In Class Belly Button Lint Extractor".

JDPower "Awards" are a joke when thery're bought as often as any company wants, ad nausium infinite x bazillion.

Back