Hand Sanitizer warning : Methanol

It's got to be that foreign made stuff I have been seeing in the stores. Right next to the chinese made masks.

Read the language again. It is the 'ingestion" of methanol products that cause problems. i have yet to see any hand sanitizers made with methanol.

Most are made with either ethanol and or isopropyl alcohols with some carbamates, glycerins, etc.

I make my own with the Green Soothing Gel with Aloe and 99.8% Technical Isopropyl alcohol or with the Green Soothing Gel with Aloe and 80% ethanol alcohol.

Many distilleries are now selling 80% ethanol in 8 to 12 oz. bottles.

OT: Methanol was used in the 1980s to spike Italian wines resulting in more than 20 deaths and permanent physiological damage to hundreds, so yes, toxic when ingested

Seeing that play out on the news in real time, i cannot even think of methanol without evoking that memory.

Last edited:
Back in my healthcare days methanol ingestion was a regular occurrence among diehard alcoholics. Their desperation sometimes led to liver failure. At that time and maybe it is still prescribed, we would dispense Alcohol iv solutions. 5% and 10% in dextrose.

Unfortunately there were those who were beyond treatment.

We would also get calls from vet hospitals for the same solutions.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Back in my healthcare days methanol ingestion was a regular occurrence among diehard alcoholics. Their desperation sometimes led to liver failure. At that time and maybe it is still prescribed, we would dispense Alcohol iv solutions. 5% and 10% in dextrose.

The vet calls were to treat animals that had consumed anti-freeze. The alcohol keeps the anti-freeze from destroying the kidneys.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
Read the language again. It is the 'ingestion" of methanol products that cause problems. i have yet to see any hand sanitizers made with methanol.

Most are made with either ethanol and or isopropyl alcohols with some carbamates, glycerins, etc.

I make my own with the Green Soothing Gel with Aloe and 99.8% Technical Isopropyl alcohol or with the Green Soothing Gel with Aloe and 80% ethanol alcohol.

Many distilleries are now selling 80% ethanol in 8 to 12 oz. bottles.

If it's correctly made, yes. But some unethical makers have been using or spiking with methanol because it's cheaper, then mislabelling it. Also - there's a risk of getting sick from inhalation and skin absorption that doesn't happen from ethanol.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ershdb/emergencyresponsecard_29750029.html

Originally Posted by PimTac

I thought that Sterno was fairly commonly consumed even though it had methanol in it.

The other issue is with liquor where the first cut isn't properly disposed.

https://www.acsh.org/news/2017/06/06/throw-away-first-cut-popcorn-sutton-chemistry-moonshine-11386

[Linked Image from acsh.org]

there as SOOOO many TOXIC ingredients + products today!! SODAS are VERY bad!! why do you think SICKCARE is SOOO BUSY as CANCER + everything that causes OBESITY is SOOO common. one look around + you see many SUPERSIZED person slowly DYING!!! check out Dr Sten Ekburg to learn how we are slowly killing ourselves!!

Oh please. That doctor you mention is a chiropractor not an MD and seems more interested in increasing his YouTube count and running seminars than actually treating people.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
OT: Methanol was used in the 1980s to spike Italian wines resulting in more than 20 deaths and permanent physiological damage to hundreds, so yes, toxic when ingested

Seeing that play out on the news in real time, i cannot even think of methanol without evoking that memory.

Methanol is a natural part of fermentation and is present in all wines.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

The stuff my work is handing out is methanol based sanitizer.

It has terrible scents added to it so people don't drink it

Originally Posted by Miller88
The stuff my work is handing out is methanol based sanitizer.

It has terrible scents added to it so people don't drink it

Are you sure? I just can't imagine a legitimate hand sanitizer using MeOH. Per the FDA:
Methanol is not an acceptable active ingredient for hand sanitizers and must not be used due to its toxic effects.

You're not supposed to consume methanol. It's poisonous. The bad scent is added so people don't drink it because they're too stupid otherwise.

On a side note, I know of someone who drank rubbing alcohol. Supposedly it cases bleeding of the lower intestine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
It's got to be that foreign made stuff I have been seeing in the stores. Right next to the chinese made masks.

You are correct, the products come from Mexico

Industrial "denatured alcohol" which is very common and inexpensive is ethanol mixed with about 5% methanol to make it poisonous. It is not allowed as an ingredient in cosmetics. For that, there are several types of "SD Alcohol" with less toxic denaturants.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
You're not supposed to consume methanol. It's poisonous. The bad scent is added so people don't drink it because they're too stupid otherwise.

On a side note, I know of someone who drank rubbing alcohol. Supposedly it cases bleeding of the lower intestine.

They add bittrex, too.

Back