Near New Echo GT-225 Fouls Plugs

I have a nearly new out of warranty Echo GT-225 that I guarentee has had an issue since new hence why I got it with rotten fuel and a bad carb. The OEM carb pumped epic proportions of fuel into the crankcase to a point you simply could never start it. I replaced it with my carburetoer for testing and got it to run. It runs very well but will not start reliably. It will wet foul the plug. The magneto gap is perfect, and I installed my air filter.

It usually starts stone cold just fine, but when hot or warm it will wet foul. I already inspected the muffler and it is spot less.

Any ideas? I have it narrowed down to a leaky crankcase.....or a weak mag / flywheel., even thought the spark is perfect.

Originally Posted by Chris142
What oil and mix are you using?

50:1 with a touch of genuine echo oil to make it closer to 40:1 being the engine is new and not broke in yet. The unit is literally showroom new from prior owner never being able to get it started.

Originally Posted by Fordiesel69
Originally Posted by Chris142
What oil and mix are you using?

50:1 with a touch of genuine echo oil to make it closer to 40:1 being the engine is new and not broke in yet. The unit is literally showroom new from prior owner never being able to get it started.

Try some canned 50:1. I have an SRM-225 & PE-225(edger) . Both have only had 50:1 and work flawlessly.

My old Mantis gasses the plugs easily when flooded. Once flooded to the point of not firing, I remove the plug and pull the string to push out the mix, Then I use another plug. If that fails, I repeat the operation, this time adding a teaspoon of oil and pulling the string to oil the rings. This has been the routine for first of the season starts 2 yrs running. My guess is that over the winter, the oil drains off the cylinder and rings. I have learned to use the primer very little. I had the muffler off it 2 yrs ago and the piston is scored. 20 seasons of cultivation grit will do that.
grin2.gif

Just replace the carb with a cheap knockoff, and re-tune properly for your pre-mix. Who wants to deal with that all the time.

I would buy a Husky, Stihl or other commercial quality brand from an ope store I have 2 Husky Trimmers that are 1, 20 years old and 1 seven years old and a Husky back pack blower that is 20 years old. they always start don't use fuel stabilizer or winterize them the tank just pump gas and 32 to 1 oil mix.

Guys, not going to go out and buy one, I bought new an echo GT-225 and SRM-225 back in 2011 and 2014. I am using parts off my known good one to diagnose why this nice used one I got is always fouling plugs. I also have to constantly adjust the carb. When bolted back on my good one, I do not have to mess with it. 3 pulls to pop, and one more to run. Always since new.

Have you installed a new plug or are you drying out the original one?
Ive found once a plug is fuel soaked it can be problematic even if it looks fine.
My Echo trimmer runs great with an Ngk plug.

NGK and I bought 4 new ones. I put a new one in every time it wet fouls. I guess today will be a complete engine teardown to see if there is a stuck ring or leaky crankcase. The crankcase was stored with stale fuel down inside of it. So much that I had to hold it upside down and spray air into it and pull it over to get it all out. I guess it is certainly possible it damaged a seal.

UPDATE: Looks like I had bigger issues I did not even know. The factory carb and what I thought was a known good carburetor to use for testing also had a rock hard metering diaphram. However why it worked on my personal trimmer but not on the new one is beyond me. But the bright side is both carbs have brand new diaphrams in them and are working better than ever. More power and no more flooded starts.

Back