NAPA Gold vs. WIX

I've seen comparisons before that say NAPA Gold and WIX are the same oil filter, but have saw stuff coming more recently that say they are no longer the same.
Does anyone have a for sure answer?

Originally Posted by DCMotorsports
I've seen comparisons before that say NAPA Gold and WIX are the same oil filter, but have saw stuff coming more recently that say they are no longer the same.
Does anyone have a for sure answer?

Mann & Hummel now owns Wix (who has made most/all of NAPA filters in the past), but there have been isolated examples of Chinese made Wix filters, and examples of Mann & Hummel made NAPA Gold filters- https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-gold-oil-filter-made-by-mann-hummel-now
It's going to require detective work to determine who makes the NAPA ones now, not that Mann is automatically bad, but IMO not as good as the old Wix/NAPA Golds were. Mann does own Wix now, so I'm sure cost cutting is occurring!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I wouldl guess that would all depend on the application.

I would look at it, and you will see.

What do you like about WIX/NAPA?

What's not to like, I run NAPA/Wix filters on all my vehicles.
11.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
It's all Mann & Hummel.

Fortunately (thus far), M+H has not allowed the Purolator issues to creep into the WIX/Napa lines and let's hope it stays that way. I do like other filters, but like to have alternatives and WiX/Napa has been it.

If they cheapened the Napa Gold filter, they probably cheapened the Wix-branded version too
cry.gif

The Platinum (Wix XP) has not changed and is on sale this month for $6.49, even the cartridges
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by PimTac
It's all Mann & Hummel.

Fortunately (thus far), M+H has not allowed the Purolator issues to creep into the WIX/Napa lines and let's hope it stays that way. I do like other filters, but like to have alternatives and WiX/Napa has been it.

I like the NAPA GOLD that fits my 4.2 V6 (#1516). It has the base end bypass which I prefer over the dome end bypass. IMO, I think it's built better than the M1 oil filters, and cost A LOT less.

Originally Posted by Malo83

11.gif

I Preface this by: myself being an Engineer and engine builder with no" Fan Boy-isms" or " My Choice - take a hike" mentalities

1) In the smaller sizes, the base -end bypass assembly ( great design, BTW ) takes up too much real estate from the
filter paper available surface area; with the new Asian brand cars using tiny "fuel filter" sized oil filters - this is a BIG issue.

2) The flat gasket is well know to leak in some applications.

3) Some wish for higher efficiency media ( I am not one of those folks )

Other than those listed above - which are not in-significant,
They are nice filters in the larger " classic" form factors.

- Ken

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Malo83

11.gif

I Preface this by: myself being an Engineer and engine builder with no" Fan Boy-isms" or " My Choice - take a hike" mentalities

1) In the smaller sizes, the base -end bypass assembly ( great design, BTW ) takes up too much real estate from the
filter paper available surface area; with the new Asian brand cars using tiny "fuel filter" sized oil filters - this is a BIG issue.

Another thing about the WIX/NAPA Gold filters with the base end bypass is that there is only a thin area of just metal-to-metal contact where it seals on the filter cartridge end cap. Could be why their efficiency is in the 95% @ 20u point. Motorcraft filters with the base end bypass have a better sealing design IMO.

I've used the normal WIX/NAPA Gold filters, and they are nicely built, and the efficiency is OK.

Napa Golds are one of my personal favorites. Well built, Napa discounts, and haven't had any real issues using them on the cars. Only complaints i have is that i did get a Wix XP (napa platinum) that was leaking at the seams but that seemed to be the one that was the luck of the draw. Only other thing i am not a fan of the Wix/Napa golds is that it can be a mix of where the filter was made if that is important to you.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Another thing about the WIX/NAPA Gold filters with the base end bypass is that there is only a thin area of just metal-to-metal contact where it seals on the filter cartridge end cap. Could be why their efficiency is in the 95% @ 20u point. Motorcraft filters with the base end bypass have a better sealing design IMO.

Good observation. Maybe WIX engineers are concerned about gasket blow out and subsequent migration of material.

Good point and a nice reminder of Motorcraft employing a base- end bypass also..

- Ken

Back