Generator oil

yes dlundblad, That is what I said and B&S seems to draw the line at a 30 weight oil for portable generators and lawn tractors. I don't have recommendation on other B&S units. Ed

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
If it were my generator, I'd go with the highest quality 10w-30 HDEO (diesel oil) you can find. The diesel spec oils run on the thicker side of 30 weight and typically have more anti-wear additives that are limited in passenger car oils (due to potential catalytic converter poisoning.) No such catalyst issues on a generator engine.

This. I run Rotella T5 10W-30 in my lawn tractor and generator. Generator gets used in winter too and it has no trouble turning over when it's cold.

Originally Posted by Eddie
yes dlundblad, That is what I said and B&S seems to draw the line at a 30 weight oil for portable generators and lawn tractors. I don't have recommendation on other B&S units. Ed

Then perhaps a 5/10w30 HDEO. Possibly a 0/5w40 HDEO or Euro A3/B4 oil if you feel like going against the grain. Euro oils are nearly like a 5w30.

Change it on time and sleep well. Add an hour meter too.

Last edited:

5w-30 vs 10w-30 makes no difference in Florida.

Originally Posted by OilReport99

5w-30 vs 10w-30 makes no difference in Florida.
Not necessarily. A 10w-30 may have a higher HTHS viscosity, which is what he needs in the heat. 10w-30 Mobil 1 High Mileage has a 3.5 HTHS. They no longer publish that figure for the 5w-30, but I seem to recall it being 3.1 or thereabouts.

I run amsoil HDD 5w 30 in my generator, but i need to start it in below freezing. Other summer ope will get 15w40. My pressure washer, will also get that once broken in.

Back