Garden Hose for Gasoline Transfer?

Could a rubber garden hose safely be used to siphon some stale gasoline into another container? Could the stale siphoned fuel then be mixed with fresh and burned in a vehicle, or would there be rubber remnants in the fuel?

Go to your local NAPA, Pep Boys, AZ, etc and buy some real fuel hose.

Plus, you would never be able to fit a garden hose in a car gas tank if that was your intent.

Last edited:
Safely? No. Stupidly? Yes. Go spend $6 and buy some fuel line hose. So what are you going to do with that garden hose after your done putting gasoline through it? Water the lawn?

No, fill up the dog dish.
cry.gif

Or use it to fill this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U38tC_-e7o

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165
Go to your local NAPA, Pep Boys, AZ, etc and buy some real fuel hose.

Plus, you would never be able to fit a garden hose in a car gas tank if that was your intent.

Yep !

I think it's fine. I don't know if after time the gasoline will eat the house rubber but the hose may be too large diameter to get suction.

Originally Posted by viscous
Could a rubber garden hose safely be used to siphon some stale gasoline into another container? Could the stale siphoned fuel then be mixed with fresh and burned in a vehicle, or would there be rubber remnants in the fuel?

I assume you mean a short section of garden hose as I doubt you could pull sufficient suction on the entire length (insert joke here). If it is just a piece of the original garden hose then you don't have to worry about the ethanol eating the rubber.

Of course it can be "safely" used to do this job, ethanol ain't gonna eat the rubber in one use.

Thats how we did it back in the day. Don't remember any issues. You need to figure out how many sucks per length of hose so not to get it in your mouth. LOL

We used a 3 or 4 foot length though.

Last edited:
Many times I've used old sections of garden hose to siphon gas (in a past life). Because the hose is relatively big, it's difficult to suck the air out of the hose. I learned to use extreme care...

After the hose gets gas in it, it hardens up over a short period of time. So the hose is pretty much ruined.

I think the key word here is "safely." "Safely" is a relative term. For someone who is even entertaining such a feat I'd say, "Yes".
Toothpaste, a little mouthwash and a stick up gum should get the taste out.

Would I do it? No way under the sun.

Last edited:
I don't think a garden hose is particularly less safe than any other hose. I suppose a cheap clear PVC hose might be safer since you can see the fluid moving if you're priming by mouth. But at that point, the over-riding safety issue is the risk of ingesting the gasoline.

I'd personally just a) use what you got (I wouldn't worry about the any dissolved rubber - the hose will probably harden a little), or b) if you're going to spend any money, buy a cheap fluid transfer siphon pump that has some hose with it.

Edit: I'd personally use the stale fuel in a vehicle at a very dilute rate, 5-10%?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by PimTac
🎹🎹🎹

You don't think Power Bait is involved, do you?

It seems to have stopped working

Back