EcoGard x4615 can l "use it with confidence"?

I unexpectedly came into possession of two(2) Ecogard x4615 filters.

I was researching Subaru bypass spec filters and came across a discussion of Beck/Arnley 041-0859 on the internet. This is one of the few filters out there that meets Subaru bypass spec. I know it probably doesn't matter, but my personality type steers me towards buying filters that meet this spec.

Anyways, l thought that this would be a Nippon filter in a B/A box based on what l read and the Asian lettering in the pictures. When l unboxed the filter that l ordered online, it looked nothing like the pictures l saw in the description, and instead it was an EcoGard X4615 filter in a B/A box. I researched this filter and it does indeed meet Subaru bypass spec.

All l know is that the filter is from China, but seems to be built well. Is this thing "OEM quality"? Can l "use it with confidence" for a 6 to 7k OCI? Again, l was expecting a filter from a different manufacturer, which is why l am asking.

I used several Ecogard filters on my wife's Nissan Altima. (we sold that about a year ago) I cut the first one open and it looked great, good
sturdy construction. I ran them about 6500 miles each. Since you already confirmed that the bypass setting meets your Subaru's requirement, I would use it with confidence.

A sudden cold start rattle will tell you it's limitations. My rattle began at 3k.

Where did you buy it...... rockauto? That's where mine came from. It looked well built new out-of-the-box and heavier than any other filter I put on my 04', since it was new 16 years ago.

Probably was well built - everything but the crappy nitrile ADBV.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I guess I'm old fashioned but if I get a Beck Arnley box then I expect a Beck Arnley filter inside.

This.

The Ecogards I have used have been decent filters as far as I can tell.
The "x" filter is their standard cellulose media. I would have no issues running that for a 5000 mile interval, 7500 miles would be OK if it is in a 6 month or so period.

Originally Posted by dadto2
I used several Ecogard filters on my wife's Nissan Altima. (we sold that about a year ago) I cut the first one open and it looked great, good
sturdy construction. I ran them about 6500 miles each. Since you already confirmed that the bypass setting meets your Subaru's requirement, I would use it with confidence.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll run it for 6k as that is the owners manual recommended OCI.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Use it for one OCI, 6000 miles tops.

Thanks! I will heed your advice.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
A sudden cold start rattle will tell you it's limitations. My rattle began at 3k.

Where did you buy it...... rockauto? That's where mine came from. It looked well built new out-of-the-box and heavier than any other filter I put on my 04', since it was new 16 years ago.

Probably was well built - everything but the crappy nitrile ADBV.

Are there telltale signs of a cold start rattle that l should be on the lookout for? My level of mechanical ability is strictly novice.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I guess I'm old fashioned but if I get a Beck Arnley box then I expect a Beck Arnley filter inside.

I've read that B/A doesn't manufacture parts and that they are sourced from other manufacturers. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Back