Importance of Matching Tires - Front/Rear

One thing to consider.

I tried installing a "longer treadlife" tire on my 1 series. Tried using the Michelin A/S3 with a much higher tread wear rating than the previous MPSS. Well, because the A/S3 had so much less grip, they were constantly spinning a bit when accelerating even briskly. Needless to say, they only lasted about half the mileage of the MPSS. Switched back to MPSS for current set and they are lasting much, much longer, and I can't wait for them to wear out so I can put on the MP4S, which has even better grip and longevity.

Seems like I often buy tires two at a time, for whatever reason. I just mix them in & rotate when it makes sense.

Right now on the Silverado I have two older tires on the rear. As Winter approaches they will be done for. I already have a Winter tire mix, possibly two new tires next Spring.

On Monday I’m getting new rears, Discount gave me a decent deal on some Kumho Ecsta PA51’s, anyone have experience with them? I didn’t want to go too fancy, my current rears are about bald at less than 15k miles. The skinny pedal doesn’t help as you can see.

D74ABC84-61CB-49D0-865B-714584B38621.jpeg
0EBDC007-A711-40E8-8638-A2C87C7D3548.jpeg

Seems like my Genesis isn't the easiest on tires, with the rears wearing faster than the fronts. The rears are at about 5/32" and the fronts are about 7.5/32", the tires are Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 with 8,300 miles/6 months on them. With being so hard on tires, I'm not so sure I want to spend a whole lot if they're just going to wear out so fast.

It has staggered tires, so rotations are only possible from left to right, but the current set are also directional.

What I'm wondering is, is the importance of having matching pairs of tires on a car. Does it really matter? Inclement weather here isn't much of an issue.

I'm thinking of putting a lower cost tire on the rear, something like the Milestar MS932 XP+ (seems to have pretty good ratings) and a nice set on the front to keep it quiet, something like Pirelli Cinturato P7. They would be replaced in pairs, not at the same time as they are wearing quite differently.

The Milestars are around $120 each, compared to even my current Hankook's at $206 each (put on by dealer before I bought it in December).
It's summer tire with 320 UTQG tread rating... it's not a recipe for long life, no matter what car you put it on.

With larger rim with lower profile tire sizes, getting the brick hard wearing tires isn't that easy.

I’ve done it for different reasons. With EBD and ABS in modern cars I wouldn’t say the change in braking grip between the two pairs isn’t going to lead to calamity serious there are tons of other cars out there on the road with grossly mismatched tires. If you’re driving hard or tracking the car I’d go with an even set when it comes to driving characteristics.

I had a bad flat and limped to a tire store and asked for 4 tires. The tire guy came out to my car and said the rears are like new and sold me two for the front. They are horrible tires and I'm looking forward to when they wear out so i can get quieter tires.

One thing to consider.

I tried installing a "longer treadlife" tire on my 1 series. Tried using the Michelin A/S3 with a much higher tread wear rating than the previous MPSS. Well, because the A/S3 had so much less grip, they were constantly spinning a bit when accelerating even briskly. Needless to say, they only lasted about half the mileage of the MPSS. Switched back to MPSS for current set and they are lasting much, much longer, and I can't wait for them to wear out so I can put on the MP4S, which has even better grip and longevity.

Yep, I loved the PSS on my M5, I'd recommend their replacement, the PS 4S to the OP, I think he'd be very happy with them.

I'll try to make a video. But right now it's close to freezing so 1.1G limit.

But I'm not doubting you. What I was trying to say is, spinning tyres can be fun at first but I'd get tired with that if it happens unintentionally.

I'll try to make a video. But right now it's close to freezing so 1.1G limit.

But I'm not doubting you. What I was trying to say is, spinning tyres can be fun at first but I'd get tired with that if it happens unintentionally.
That would be peak g's, not a proper measurement which a sustained average over an entire skidpad lap. And yes, it does get tiring when the rear tires light up in second gear at torque peak.

Back