change interval DIesel Fuel FIlter

hallo..

as subject,

id like ask y'all about fuel filter change interval if in my place, the diesel fuel contain max 3500 ppm sulphur and B20 (biodiesel 20%)?

thank you..

A friend of mine is a service writer at Toyota, I called her up and asked and she said officially its 3 years/50,000 miles but they get sold more frequently than that.

Here's my fuel filter at 30,000km, under somewhat "severe" service, with 15l of used engine oil having gone through it as well.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...in_#Post3875071

I reckon 40-50,000km, or another 15-20L of used oil would have done it in.

I'm using the Nippon Max as it's a spiral wound media type.

The Ryco and Baldwin are just regular elements in a can....I wouldn't use either, and especially not for 30,000km.

Sulphur content doesn't matter in this respect. I change fuel filter on my 1.6 hdi in about 80k km. Never problem. On FIAT Multijet I happily leave it for 100k. It's expensive [censored].
On 2.2 hdi and 2.3 jtd powered vans 100k or about was normal.
Never a single problem with injectors or fuel management as whole except that 2.2 hdi, but that's another story.

toyota recommends for 40000 kilometer for the change interval..i never see it as a suggestion because the fuel condition in my place cant represent the manual book says..
thats why i asked u all the best advice for my case..

some of my friends told that the fuel filter indicator shows up between 10000 to 20000 kilometers with the diesel fuel data that ive given to you..

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Sulphur content doesn't matter in this respect. I change fuel filter on my 1.6 hdi in about 80k km. Never problem. On FIAT Multijet I happily leave it for 100k. It's expensive [censored].
On 2.2 hdi and 2.3 jtd powered vans 100k or about was normal.
Never a single problem with injectors or fuel management as whole except that 2.2 hdi, but that's another story.

that i bold, really surprising me..why u think that the sulphur content doesnt effect the fuel filter? i mean we know that the fuel filter makes sure that particulate and the sulphur had filtrated, right? or am i wrong this whole time?or the sulphur content can detain the filter perpetually

20150919_21275311_zpscmjsypbp.jpg

that is the example for the fuel filter for 10000km...i dont think it can last longer..

Originally Posted By: nyumski

that is the example for the fuel filter for 10000km...i dont think it can last longer..

Hmmm, that does look nasty for 10k. This is how it looks with 80-100k over here. Lower quality fuel have many different contaminants in them, not just sulphur. Simply, refinement process isn't as good.

I remember in the early nineties people changed filters more often, maybe every 15k.

Hmmm, that does look nasty for 10k. This is how it looks with 80-100k over here. Lower quality fuel have many different contaminants in them, not just sulphur. Simply, refinement process isn't as good.

I remember in the early nineties people changed filters more often, maybe every 15k.

15k is quite longer here..we mostly change in 7000 to 10000 kilometer..

15k is quite longer here..we mostly change in 7000 to 10000 kilometer..

Well, better to change filters that injectors or pumps. Euro trucks often have two fuel filters, than had it even when fuel was similar in quality to your.
Maybe you should consider installing additional filter/separator before OEMs one.

Last edited:
No one-size-fits-all filter interval is correct due to the many combinations of filters, fuels and environmental conditions. A fuel pressure gauge is a good indicator under any circumstances.

Originally Posted By: Uber_Archetype
No one-size-fits-all filter interval is correct due to the many combinations of filters, fuels and environmental conditions. A fuel pressure gauge is a good indicator under any circumstances.

And volume of fuel filtered, mine on my truck gets changed around 20k. I've tried to go longer but it always seems to need it shortly after the 20k mark. Bio blend diesel and cold weather makes it even worse, I've had them plug at less than 5k if I get a tank with too much bio and not enough winter additives in it. Never gelled up but I've had filters wax up, fuel was flowing fine but started to cloud and plugged a filter.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Or maybe, the injectors on diesels are far more delicate than that of a gas engine.

Bingo. At least on the newer diesels. There's a reason why the smarter of us upgrade to a CAT 2-micron system.

hallo guys,

i would like to update the condition of my fuel filter. it run 6500 km on it..

let the picture tells you all..

20160402_082207_zpso9vd6prt.jpg

in my place the sulphur content contains maxx 3500 ppm..still have no yet the particulate content on diesel fuel

so what do you think guys?

lol, I'd show you mine but you'd have a heart attack. On nearly 70.000 km now but I'm not changing it yet as there's still no loss of fuel pressure. I did order a replacement (expensive, as chrisri said).

Like oil and air filters, the filtration efficiency goes up as the filter cakes, and there's no bypass on these that could open like with an oil filter.

I got my diesel fuel filter changed after 60000 km / 3 years, as car manufacturer recommends. Filter element was totally black of dirt, not good. Car has used Finnish diesel fuel, both summer and winter grades over three years.

With ne filter car got a bit better responsiveness
smile.gif
I'll shorten the change interval to 45000 km / 2 years.

Picture of the old one:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

150 k km using Neste pro diesel (Fame and RME free). But since Neste dont sell it anymore, i will start using Shell GTL diesel and go down to 60 k km. The higher the Bio diesel % is in the diesel the sooner it will be clogged.

Back