Opinions On This Laptop

Not bad, but not great. My last 3 laptops (which I still have all of them, just use them for different things) were bought on ebay, refurbished.

Look for:

-an i-5 processor
-8GB RAM
-128GB or larger SSD
-Windows 10

Some will have office installed (if you want/use that), and you can get great deals on a machine that is slightly used with much better specs and performance.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Not bad, but not great. My last 3 laptops (which I still have all of them, just use them for different things) were bought on ebay, refurbished.

Look for:

-an i-5 processor
-8GB RAM
-128GB or larger SSD
-Windows 10

Some will have office installed (if you want/use that), and you can get great deals on a machine that is slightly used with much better specs and performance.

I have seen some great deals on EBAY. But, are they wiped clean and ready for you to use it with no other information on them from a past owner? And, I want a warranty. Do the refurbished ones come with a warranty?

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by jeepman3071

Look for:

-an i-5 processor
-8GB RAM
-128GB or larger SSD
-Windows 10

I have seen some great deals on EBAY. But, are they wiped clean and ready for you to use it with no other information on them from a past owner? And, I want a warranty. Do the refurbished ones come with a warranty?

Wiped clean and re-imaged, yes. A warranty will depend on the seller. I've bought 3 myself and a few others for family members with no issues. I did purchase a refurbished Macbook Air last year that had a small issue (a condition blemish) and the seller made it right.

Id shop the actual manufacturers' refurbished laptop sites. Id be somewhat concerned about an ebay refurbished item and what might actually be on it.

Id look for an SSD, as it does make things much more snappy.

Beyond that, Id be looking at which has the newest generation processors, not necessarily the model (eg i3, i5, i7).

If youre not going to be hooking it to an external monitor, screen size, and more importantly, screen quality make a very big difference.

I could look at my retina macbook pros forever, while my cheap HP for work, which looks just fine on a good external monitor, is pretty hard on the eyes when using the screen... And to that end, Id actually consider an older model laptop with a better quality screen, assuming it isnt too many cycles behind in age.

You only get what you pay for. I don't know what your budget is, but I certainly wouldn't spend less than $500 on a computer even if you don't plan on doing much with it. If you didn't like your Chromebook, why do you think you'll like a cheapy Windows machine? 4GB for Windows 10 is really going to castrate the performance.

On the trackpad, the buttons are built right in. You can actually left and right click on the lower portion of the trackpad. Its kinda nice and look sleek.

"Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing."

Reason enough to turn it down if they were giving it away for free. Applies to everything linked so far.

Originally Posted by Jethro_Bob
"Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing."

Reason enough to turn it down if they were giving it away for free. Applies to everything linked so far.

You can switch off S mode and turn it into a regular Windows 10 Home OS. S mode just limits software installs to the Microsoft Store, good for less savvy users that are click happy and install 8 toolbars and other garbage.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Id shop the actual manufacturers' refurbished laptop sites. Id be somewhat concerned about an ebay refurbished item and what might actually be on it.

Id look for an SSD, as it does make things much more snappy.

Beyond that, Id be looking at which has the newest generation processors, not necessarily the model (eg i3, i5, i7).

If youre not going to be hooking it to an external monitor, screen size, and more importantly, screen quality make a very big difference.

I could look at my retina macbook pros forever, while my cheap HP for work, which looks just fine on a good external monitor, is pretty hard on the eyes when using the screen... And to that end, Id actually consider an older model laptop with a better quality screen, assuming it isnt too many cycles behind in age.

I can't agree more with all of this. I'll take a slower CPU if it means getting an SSD. And I can't stress the screen thing enough. My 13.3" Asus with a 1366x768 display, like both the HP and Lenovo linked above, looks horrific. It would be even worse on a 15.6" laptop.

I haven't had good luck with laptops but love my Chromebook....it's simple and great for surfing the net...which is basically all that I do with a computer.
I have a half a dozen old laptops sitting around....my kids were hard on them in school. I finally bought them Apples and they haven't needed a new one
since.

Originally Posted by pbm
I haven't had good luck with laptops but love my Chromebook....it's simple and great for surfing the net...which is basically all that I do with a computer.
I have a half a dozen old laptops sitting around....my kids were hard on them in school. I finally bought them Apples and they haven't needed a new one
since.

No repairs to the Apples?

I am soul-searching here. So fed up with the Iron Fist of Windows 10 on mine. Every time a major update occurs, things are missing or broke afterwards - while other things are installed that take up drive space and I'll never use.

Price.... (wait let me rephrase), ransom I paid when I allowed Microsoft to download Windows 10 for free, a year or-so after I bought the machine new running Windows 8.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by pbm
since.

No repairs to the Apples?

I am soul-searching here. So fed up with the Iron Fist of Windows 10 on mine. Every time a major update occurs, things are missing or broke afterwards - while other things are installed that take up drive space and I'll never use.

Price.... (wait let me rephrase), ransom I paid when I allowed Microsoft to download Windows 10 for free, a year or-so after I bought the machine new running Windows 8.

Apple's weird - I've been using Macs since 2006 and they've been super-reliable and the OS experience is honestly unbeatable but they're expensive and there was a long run recently where they had really terrible keyboards. My workhorse laptop is a 13" Macbook Pro I picked up off Craigslist for $625 with 6 months of the 1 year warranty still left on it. My photo-editing computer is a 2010 iMac I added some ram to, my parents still use a 2008 iMac, and my wife's 2010 Macbook Pro still works, even though the screen resolution is low. So my newest Mac is 5 years old and still running strong, and I'm regularly using a 10 year old computer. You're not going to see that with Windows machines.

Originally Posted by paqza
So my newest Mac is 5 years old and still running strong, and I'm regularly using a 10 year old computer. You're not going to see that with Windows machines.

I have quite a few.

You'd be surprised what you can find for $200 on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. I have an i5 6300, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD HP Probook on Craigslist that I don't get any bites on at $200. (shoot me a PM if interested)

[Linked Image]

...A few more pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/SYPF9jkj1trnUcHc7

Last edited:
Back