Fireworks and dogs

It appears a few neighbors took put a second mortgage on the house to fund their fireworks display. I'm retired now but I used to be the City Fire Marshal and used to confiscate truck loads of them. Highlight of my career was giving a city councilman a ticket. He told me he'd call the Mayor so I helped him out and called the Mayor for him and handed him my phone.

Our dog is terrified of them as well, and some of my idiot neighbors start celebrating around the 15th of June and continue until the 15th of July. I have come to hate the 4th of July.

Originally Posted by ammolab
Took my dog to the rifle range as a puppy. Kept him out of ear damage distance. He now rests or even sleeps through the fire works. The UPS truck wakes him up a block away. Barking fit! He HATES the UPS truck.

Our dog is terrified of UPS trucks but not of FEDEX or other similar shape vehicles. I'd love to figure out what it is about the UPS truck that causes her to react to them so differently than the others.

Took my dog to the rifle range as a puppy. Kept him out of ear damage distance. He now rests or even sleeps through the fire works. The UPS truck wakes him up a block away. Barking fit! He HATES the UPS truck.

My uncle's beagle is one confused dog right now. Every time he hears fireworks, he runs to the coat rack where his leash hangs. My uncle is a competitive shooter and usually brings the dog when he practices...therefore, the dog associates fireworks and gunshots with getting to ride in the car.

Originally Posted by dbias
It appears a few neighbors took put a second mortgage on the house to fund their fireworks display. I'm retired now but I used to be the City Fire Marshal and used to confiscate truck loads of them. Highlight of my career was giving a city councilman a ticket. He told me he'd call the Mayor so I helped him out and called the Mayor for him and handed him my phone.

Around here, the cops always had the best fireworks. Not this year...they are not doing much about it.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

My uncle's beagle is one confused dog right now. Every time he hears fireworks, he runs to the coat rack where his leash hangs. My uncle is a competitive shooter and usually brings the dog when he practices...therefore, the dog associates fireworks and gunshots with getting to ride in the car.

My girl launches herself into the ups truck looking for food. They driver asked once if she'd like a biscuit.

We have two German Shepherd mixed. The female was always scared of them and curls up in a corner. We wrap her in a blanket and she usually settles down. The male was not always afraid until a couple of years ago. He curls up next to me no matter where I am--can be tough to move with a 90 pound dog who does not want to be moved.

My "fearless and noble" Norwegian Elkhound first saw fireworks at about 9 weeks old. I was trying to leash train her, and a neighbor set off a beautiful, red firework. She saw it, stared at it, and basically "locked up". I had to carry her home
smile.gif

She will fly in my plane anywhere with me, do anything, ride on the tractor, in the trailer, in my arms, play all day. But god forbid the fireworks start..... Then she goes into "dog-land" and cannot be brought back into the real world for some time.

[Linked Image from cujet.com]

[Linked Image from cujet.com]

Last edited:
Hate to see the 4th arrive. Wish city council would do away with the whopping, popping and banging. Thing is some of the vendors like service organizations have too much influence over the council. Some are part of the council. Entire neighborhood looked like a heavy fog had enveloped everything. And this AM there was *@$#@&^% all over the grass and flower beds. Need to find a better way to celebrate nation's birthday. BAH HUMBUG fireworks.

Those M80s are the closest sounds to 155s impacting. Big wump followed by a tremor from a block away. Some of those had the cats and horses running last week. None of them ever minded fireworks but those big booms did the deed.

Our usually utterly fearless Great Pyrenees was reduced to cowering fear by the sound of fireworks.
He'd run upstairs and cower in the bedroom that was as far back in the house as he could get.
I'd sit on the floor in physical contact with him while reading The Economist or WSJ to him in dulcet tones.
Last night did sound like a rough night in Baghdad, I fell asleep but the intermittent booms kept wife awake.
Only around the fourth and the last day of each year is this a real annoyance, so I'm not going to call the cops and make them end the fun of others by stopping what they're already aware of but aren't inclined to intervene in unless someone complains.
Some of those fireworks both sounded and looked like professional grade. Maybe not the ideal thing for the neighbors to be handing.
As they say, it's all fun until someone loses an eye.

Fireworks were held to a minimum. My cats were scared but not too bad.

Local fire departments had a busy night, mostly small brush fires.
There was a 150 acre fire near Gilroy believed to be set by fireworks.

Last edited:
One of my cats last night decided that if she was being kept awake, I could be of some use by scratching her behind the ears. So she yowled in me ear at the top of her lungs. At 2:30am. Thanks a bunch, Briza.

I woke up later, hand still against the cat, who was sleeping with her paws around my wrist, purring.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Fireworks were held to a minimum. My cats were scared but not too bad.

Local fire departments had a busy night, mostly small brush fires.
There was a 150 acre fire near Gilroy believed to be set by fireworks.

The Gilroy fire is over 1,000 acres now and containment is not in sight.
This is about 30 miles south of me.

They need to be outlawed. I'm not one for more laws and regulation, but it gets to a point that its disturbing the peace and its selfish to those who have to get up early for work.

Originally Posted by maximus
They need to be outlawed. I'm not one for more laws and regulation, but it gets to a point that its disturbing the peace and its selfish to those who have to get up early for work.

I kind of reluctantly agreed with you.
Not bad where I'm at now but previously lived in Cook county IL.
One local jerk would set off some huge blast at 3 or 4 in the morning. Then ten or fifteen minutes later when you're about to fall asleep another one. This went on for months.

They are outlawed in Santa Clara County.
They even have some kinda trackers that pin point their location.
The fire departments were very busy.
In Gilroy there are 250 fire fighters, planes, choppers, like 50 trucks.
Luckily they say it is not expanding any more. 50% contained.

I guess people don't know Northern CA is really dry; it is fire season.
Geographically we are high desert.

Last edited:
My friend's dog, as well my my roommate's dog (does that make it my dog too?) don't get phased by the fireworks at all. Doesn't bother me at all either; it's one day [or week] set for the year for fireworks. Anything outside of +- a week is inconsiderate though.

Last edited:
Back