Suspension Bushings Oil Resistant?

Hi everyone, first post....long time follower of this forum for answers!

My question is about suspension bushings. Are they generally "Oil-Resistant"? I have just installed Bilstein 6112's on the front of my Tacoma and the rear will be extended length 5100's. I have chosen to use Blaster Corrosion Stop but I generally use Fluid Film for corrosion protection everywhere else. Should I be worried about my suspension bushings on my new suspension components or other older bushings if either product is on it? I have looked for information on Bilstein's website, Tacoma World forums, 4Runner forums, Tundra forums and here to see if the bushings are generally oil resistant, but haven't found anything. I would assume they are oil resistant because of random chemicals and fluids found on the roads. I am worried long term that I am doing damage to these bushings causing swelling or it softening up the bushings in a bad way.

Thank you in advance!

[Linked Image]

IMG_1556.JPG

Last edited:
I have sprayed Fluid Film all over my car as undercoating. It is all over Whileline bushings and OEM Hyundai rubber bushing and nothing looks to have swollen or soften in the last 2.1 years.

I haven't noticed the fluid film or woolwax doing anything bad to the soft bits on the underside of my vehicles, although it's only been about 2yrs. What's in the other corrosion inhibitor product you use?

Fluid film is supposed to be okay on bushings.

But if you have an engine oil leak that reaches them, that's bad news.

Awesome! Thank you guys! I have noticed on FF (as well as blasters) site that they claim it is ok for most undercarriage or suspension bushings. But I just wanted to get an answer from others, especially from this forum. You don't just stumble upon this forum...you have to be pretty meticulously minded about automotive maintenance.

Originally Posted by eljefino
if you have an engine oil leak that reaches them, that's bad news.

Interesting. Why is this?

From my understanding, petroleum based lubricants are caustic to rubber, hence engine oil will ruin rubber bushes over time

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Originally Posted by eljefino
if you have an engine oil leak that reaches them, that's bad news.

Interesting. Why is this?

Like Spetz said, engine oil contains many detergents in that can affect rubber that is not oil-resistant or designed for direct oil contact/saturation for long periods of time. Added to that the changes that oil makes through it's life, sometimes becoming more acidic from what some Oil Analysis's I have seen.

Back