NOACK

Do any of the labs give NOACK results?
I'm guessing not.
Many manufacturers don't list their specs
on this although some certifications give
you a clue on the maximum spec allowed
for that cert.

I haven't seen NOACK testing in any VOA or UOA from a user submission. Some motor oil companies provide the test data and some don't. PQIA use to test it but they don't seem to publish NOACK results on more recent test.
The Russian motor oil website might be more gung-ho about testing NOACK and other things?

One thing about BITOG too much info out there. People READ WWAAYY into things.
Keep it simple to keep your anxiety down. Look in your owners manual. See what spec oil your engine requires. Go buy oil that meets that spec. DONE.

Now if we are talking full on RACE build? Then you should know what to use by the person who built the engine. Otherwise? Don't lose sleep over specs that really mean nothing to the average Joe consumer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
I haven't seen NOACK testing in any VOA or UOA from a user submission. Some motor oil companies provide the test data and some don't. PQIA use to test it but they don't seem to publish NOACK results on more recent test.
The Russian motor oil website might be more gung-ho about testing NOACK and other things?

Pqia just started testing Noack again in their last couple of tests.

PP and PUP seemingly have some of the best NOACK ratings. For my GDI I use it. Supertech for my 03 Matrix.

Originally Posted by rob1715
PP and PUP seemingly have some of the best NOACK ratings. For my GDI I use it. Supertech for my 03 Matrix.

Be sure those are the latest numbers. Formulations change and they just went through a change this year.

SOPUS' "best" (by which I merely mean most expensive) products have had higher NOACK than their less expensive products for many years now. So, clearly there's a whole lot more to a fully formulated engine oil than NOACK.

Was just wondering what the Noack spec
is on the Pennzoil euro platinum 0w40
I'm currently using is. Have the SN+
version currently but now they've come
out with an SP version with different specs.
I was thinking of sending a VOA out but
didn't know of any companies that report
the Noack specs with their oil analysis.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cristo
Was just wondering what the Noack spec
is on the Pennzoil euro platinum 0w40
I'm currently using is. Have the SN+
version currently but now they've come
out with an SP version with different specs.
I was thinking of sending a VOA out but
didn't know of any companies that report
the Noack specs with their oil analysis.

Well, 0W40 is approved for MB229.5, which means it has to be up to 10%.

Back