GMC Sierra Tires

I am basically in the same boat as @PontiacHO.

I'm also looking for replacement tires on our 2017 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3.

Stock size also 275/55/20, though I may upsize to 275/60/20.

We pull a 7000# travel trailer,l on 450 mile round trips around 4-7x a year. Live in South Texas, so no ice or snow.

Discount Tire has 10% off Michelin and if you use their credit card, another 10% off in the form of a pre-paid card.

I saw the LTX M/S Defender mentioned several times in this thread.

I was considering the LTX A/T 2's.

Anyone have experience with those?

@PontiacHO, if you live near a Discount Tire & Wheel, consider getting Michelins from there to get the 10%+10% off deal.

My brother has a 17' Sierra DC and he just bought a set of Pirelli ATRs. He likes them a lot. Quiet and good in the wet.

Since they are a slightly older generation tire they are very affordable on EBay as new sets.

I have Mastercraft Courser AXT2 on my Silverado and I'm happy with them overall. They are pretty quiet on the highway for an A/T tire.

I have the Michelin Defender LTX on my supplied work vehicle (Dodge Durango) and they came stock on my Tundra. I have around 8000 miles now on both vehicles and I like the LTX's quite well. Very quiet, ride nice and perform well in all conditions. My Tundra sees mild off roading with rutted, rocky, muddy, low-maintenance service roads. However, the Michelins are pricey. On my last truck I installed KUMHO Crugen HT51's. For the price difference between them and the LTX's, which is significant, I was extremely happy with their performance and, if I had to right now, I would probably buy them again over LTX's because I felt I got the same performance for a lot less $$. You might take a look at them; they were a very quiet tire and would be well suited for your climate. If you want a stiffer sidewall look to see if they have a E load range model in that size, but I don't think you'll need it. I will say that one thing that bothers me is that the KUMHO is made in Vietnam, where the LTX is made in the US.

I happen to run the Michelin LTX as well and it is extremely quiet and comfortable. It does seem to give up a bit of off road traction but if your not frequently offroading for fun i don't think it will hurt. My truck has a lift and runs the 35x12.50x20 size and they are wearing well even under heavy throttle 6.2 liter power.

If it was me and I towed with a 1/2 ton truck, I'd look at an extra load or an LT-metric tire for some extra load margin. I've been recommending the Michelin Defender LTX(X LT A/S at Costco), Firestone Destination series or the General Grabber HTS/ATx/AT2 for friends with trucks.

You don't need an LT-based on what the payload of typical half-tons are. The OP probably has a payload of around 1,4000 pounds.

Back