Honda Accord MAP sensor question

2010 Honda Accord 2.4l 4 cylinder
Responding to a neighbor's claim of high idle in his 4 cylinder I took my ScanGage to it while it was still warm.

Ignition ON, engine OFF it read 14.6 MAP.
Engine running it read 3.8

I let it warm the rest of the way (water temp from 175 to 190) and the MAP reading went to 24.0

No CEL.

I shut it down and the engine wouldn't stay restarted for 3 seconds.

I want to go through reading what I can tomorrow morning with a dead cold engine

So for it sounds like a bad MAP, no?

Should it be the MAP sensor, where is it located? thanks

Good morning, The car ran great today through startup and 10 miles of driving. The MAP read as I would expect.....

.....then my trusted friend, my ScanGage (1st generation) appears to have died.

On a non-turbo car, the manifold can't go over atmospheric pressure, so any reading of 24 psia is wrong. If that is even physically possible to register in the ECU it would throw a code.

UPDATE: Just now I spotted my neighbor's MAP sensor.

It's on the left (driver's side) of the manifold's forward edge and was MUCH smaller than I expected.

We spoke and he mentioned asking his daughter to drive the car. She agreed with the "high idle" or forward lurching tendency.

He booked an appointment at the Honda dealership. That's fine with me.

I'm dying to hear what a pro-diagnosis will be.

Since I saw what I thought were inconsistent MAP numbers that's what my money's on but it could be a vacuum leak too.

At 115K I won't be surprised if the dealership pressures them toward buying a new car.

What will you consider normal readings for this Honda MAP sensor reading at idle cold and operating temperature???

Don’t skip over the simplest things…I think they’re known to rip the air intake tube between the air box and throttle body.

What will you consider normal readings for this Honda MAP sensor reading at idle cold and operating temperature???
MAP data is temperature independent. At non running engine it is show actual local atmosphere pressure in psi and should be about same with the BARO data. When engine runs it show pressure in the manifold lower at idle and higher at high rpm's.

Back