Mannol 9929 Ester additive

Heard of it ?
Just bought 4
smile.gif

https://www.mannol.de/products/additives/oil-additives/mannol-ester-additive

Would have been nice if they said which ester(s) it contains - there are scores of different ones and some are great and some not suitable. Also would like to know if it contains an additive package to replace what it dilutes.

Thanks for the heads-up. I can not find a US seller, but will try some as soon as it's available.

I have been using Lubegard Biotech ester additive a few years; particularly my truck known for coked rings/clogged piston oil return holes. Engine idles like glass, is smoother, and oil consumption slowly reducing. Would love a bigger dose affordably.

I was going to get some Valvoline Premium Blue Restore and pay the big $$, but the Ryder Fleet went out of business I found and haven't found anyone to get some shipped.

[Linked Image]

I am in the process of testing it
laugh.gif
Will test used oil with and without ester aditive, and see how much oil "stay on metal" with ester...

Originally Posted by Polyalphaolefin

I am in the process of testing it
laugh.gif
Will test used oil with and without ester additive, and see how much oil "stay on metal" with ester...

Looking forward to hearing results.

Why are you doing it? General maintenance, or specific issue like oil burning, etc?

I have used ester additive in engine and transmission; I have a sensitive transmission temp. gauge installed and I observed an immediate drop in temps (~5F overall). This supports the "stays on metal" as you said - helps with heat transfer. Looking forward to being able to purchase this and try it, too.

Originally Posted by Oro_O

Why are you doing it? General maintenance, or specific issue like oil burning, etc?

I have used ester additive in engine and transmission; I have a sensitive transmission temp. gauge installed and I observed an immediate drop in temps (~5F overall). This supports the "stays on metal" as you said - helps with heat transfer. Looking forward to being able to purchase this and try it, too.

I hope you didn't use it in an Automatic transmission.

You might want to explain to us the linkage between "stays on metal" and heat transfer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule

I hope you didn't use it in an Automatic transmission.

You might want to explain to us the linkage between "stays on metal" and heat transfer.

Yes, in an AT - that's what it was designed for (Lubegard). To be clear, I said I used an ester additive, not Mannol - which isn't available in the US as far as I can tell.

My limited observation supported fully what their chemists explain here about heat transfer:

https://www.lubegard.com/cool-solution/

The SDS shows it to contain 50% Di 2-Ethylhexyl Sebacate (DOS), a linear diester. This ester has excellent lubricity but is fairly light, only 3.2 cSt @ 100°C. The VI of DOS is 150 and the Noack 17%. The SDS also lists ZDDP and an amine anti-oxidant.

Originally Posted by Oro_o
Yes, in an AT - that's what it was designed for (Lubegard). To be clear, I said I used an ester additive, not Mannol - which isn't available in the US as far as I can tell.

Okay, but the OP's topic was about Mannol 9929 Ester additive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by Oro_o

Okay, but the OP's topic was about Mannol 9929 Ester additive.

Yes, yes it was. But he/we were talking about general properties of esters.

Last edited:
The SDS shows it to contain 50% Di 2-Ethylhexyl Sebacate (DOS), a linear diester. This ester has excellent lubricity but is fairly light, only 3.2 cSt @ 100°C. The VI of DOS is 150 and the Noack 17%. The SDS also lists ZDDP and an amine anti-oxidant.

well that's good news, since Mannol also has a diesel fuel additive based on their ester technology, and if that ester has excellent lubricity as TOM NJ says, that would mean that Mannols diesel ester additive is a great for high HFRR diesel fuel.

The remaining question is - how well do the diesel fuel lines and seals in the high pressure diesel system react to such an ester? They are resistant to fatty methyl acid ester - but that doesn't mean that they are resistant against other esters as well.

is it possible to use this additive on a wet clutch motorcycle ?

I am just trying to figure out what the point of this and similar products is? As best I can see its a money maker selling a feel good factor and not much else.

Back