Burned and boycotting!

Seem's many folks on this board have been burned on Amazon, Ebay, Rockauto etc etc..... It also seems that it's the same folks that are repeatedly shafted by all different manner of circumstances within their lives. After dire threats of no longer utilizing a specific venue they are quick to trash for all others seeking advice. I am curious what these folks do when they run out of viable options to hate? Sit on a stump in the woods and stare at their feet in the dark?
It's always the same people in misery, over and over and over. Inexplicable.

I have one company I will go out of my way to avoid based on their poor customer service back in the late 1980s. I wouldn't say it's a frequent occurrence for me, so I'm not sure I fall into the "repeatedly shafted" cohort. (Or I'm blissfully unaware?)

Remember, half of all people are below mean intelligence. This is true for both consumers and people who work for companies, so there is all manner of experiences and how they are interpreted.

The OP's point is clear. Many people make their own bad luck.

Do keep in mind that there exists a "forum skew" to the negative. In other words, people tend to post about problems.

Back in the '50's and '60's the "phone company" and the Post Office were frequently cited as bad.

Well guess what? There are other players in the game now.

Boycotting? Sure, people gotta stand for something. Anger is the new oxygen.

"Put ones money where ones mouth is."

If you are truly wronged by a person or entity, make sure you're sincere and don't spend money with them. Companies survive by income and profit.

Originally Posted by javacontour
I have one company I will go out of my way to avoid based on their poor customer service back in the late 1980s. I wouldn't say it's a frequent occurrence for me, so I'm not sure I fall into the "repeatedly shafted" cohort. (Or I'm blissfully unaware?)

Remember, half of all people are below mean intelligence. This is true for both consumers and people who work for companies, so there is all manner of experiences and how they are interpreted.

It's not necessarily true for people who work for companies.

I see, you haven't been to many companies.

Given some of the stuff I've seen, it's hard to make the case that all of the folks working there are above the mean.

They may have been good test takers or interviewers. But the evidence for above the mean intelligence is often lacking.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by javacontour

It's not necessarily true for people who work for companies.

I just heard about the psychos in the front office of ebay. Death threats and dead animals mailed to critics? Fn crazy! Def. done with them.

Eddie Bauer too. I like their stuff but twice they say stuff in stock then don't ship main items claiming no stock. Wrote them a lovely email after second time and haven't ordered since.

****'s Sporting Goods is off-limits to my whole household, per my edict. Their stance on the 2nd Amendment was it for me...that, and their pricing is silly high anyway. Not a fan of Amazon, but dang they run a lot of freight into and out of CVG and the quick "free" delivery is seductive.

Be on the lockout for ...959. I predict he is coming.
grin2.gif

Pretty soon, I ain't gonna have anywhere to shop....

Last edited:
I think if we could ever obtain accurate data (not feasible for a million reasons) you'd be surprised how many of those cases have a component of an undiagnosed mental illness, such as bi-polar or a myriad of other conditions I can't name.

What you're describing with the consumer/business relationship is the same as the friend/friend relationship when they say "If you don't have any friends, maybe it's YOU."

I've had a couple"friends" over the years who would surely and consistently burn thru EVERY relationship in their lives, reasoning people were irredeemable for small slights where an apology would have more than sufficed.

Some of these were prone to fits of joy and mania, others were officially diagnosed as bi-polar but at least one of the latter did not take his meds regularly I know for a fact.

I am NOT mocking mental illness in ANY way - merely saying "mild" cases can go unrecognized.

Well, in truth every company ( and every customer) has made errors from time to time ( even serious, malicious and even fatal ones)

Things happen- and not often good and then people get defensive (as do companies). The days of 'good faith' settlement of dispute is on the wane.

But its important to state that most often only one side is presented and often "selectively orchestrated" to favor a particular position.

Then there is the innocent effort or perception.

Then there is responsible acceptance of the results of ones own actions.

Those who chronically complain and it 'always seem to happen to them" types always wanting "revenge" ( in whatever form) have other issues in my opinion beyond the one they claim with a product or company.

I've kind of fallen into my own trap so I have to also look at myself in the mirror from time to time and take stock. I stopped utilizing Sears many years before their demise. You will not hear me say a kind word about Ford as they became a personal enemy in 1991. I forgive many transgressions if they happen honestly or without malice. These include every popular online shopping venue. I still use Amazon as it is unmatched as a marketplace and I will not cut off my nose to spite my face but am now clear in the knowledge they will protect their bottom line at all costs. I left a disparaging review of a novel by John Grisham, utter dung that must have been written by a 9th grade ghost writer. They immediately and perpetually banned me from offering literary reviews. Remember that Amazon started out as a bookseller and that old guard is still there and jealous of every penny lost due to non-sales. When a consumer is buying a luxury disposable item like a novel or movie. It doesn't take much negative sentiment to push would be customers to other products.

BTW, the novel that has had the highest percentage of vacuum per dollar spent in the last century is called, The Rooster Bar.

Back