2012 Mustang 3.7L V6 - Unknown Oil, 6,857 miles

This is the first sample taken from my wife's 2012 Mustang that we bought back in February. It has >136k miles currently with >6,800 miles on the oil.

We purchased it from a dealership who changed the oil before we bought it so I have no idea what oil they used. It held up well though, whatever it is. I replaced this oil with High Performance Lubricants HDEO 5w-20 which I posted a VOA of on here a few days ago.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Chris142
you are brave! no way would I run an unknown oil that long. No idea what they are putting in used cars.

Seems unlikely to me that a dealer (assuming this was an OEM dealer, not a dirtbag used car shop) would put in anything that wouldn't meet the spec.

Excellent uoa and looks like a great oil! Lots of moly. You should call their service dept and ask what oil they use.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Excellent uoa and looks like a great oil! Lots of moly. You should call their service dept and ask what oil they use.

I agree
Best looking bulk oil I've seen

you are brave! no way would I run an unknown oil that long. No idea what they are putting in used cars.

Dude any decent oil can go that long. Even the cheapest bulk from Firestone, MIdas, ect

I agree, it's a good oil that they are using

Originally Posted by nascarnation

Seems unlikely to me that a dealer (assuming this was an OEM dealer, not a dirtbag used car shop) would put in anything that wouldn't meet the spec.

Used Car dealer? Is this light duty diesel oil? Doubt this add-pack meets SN Plus. But plenty-good for OPs nine year-old vehicle.

I called the service department at the dealership where I bought the car. They pulled up the service record for it. The oil is Pennzoil Syn-Blend 5w-20.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I called the service department at the dealership where I bought the car. They pulled up the service record for it. The oil is Pennzoil Syn-Blend 5w-20.

Yep,definitely looks like Pennz. Good oil!
thumbsup2.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Being a syn-blend, I'm impressed with how good it looks at 6,800 miles. That would be a good 7,500 mile oil. This is a lightly driven vehicle also. My wife never takes it over 2500 rpm and usually cruises at 1200-1500 rpm.

With the moly being at 200 ppm, I suspect that's dinuclear MoDTC.

thumbsup2.gif

I did a VOA on PennGold 5W-30
Very nice oil !

Just follow the IOLM. That 3.7 would.have been exceediny happy with 10,000 mi / 1 year changes with that oil.

5W-20 HDEO?

Must be something new. My newest HD Engines recommend 10W-30 and allow 5W-30 (Synthetic).

Originally Posted by Gene K
Just follow the IOLM. That 3.7 would.have been exceediny happy with 10,000 mi / 1 year changes with that oil.

5W-20 HDEO?

Must be something new. My newest HD Engines recommend 10W-30 and allow 5W-30 (Synthetic).

Here's the VOA.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...rmance-lubricants-hdeo-5w-20#Post5463270

HTHS? Wanted a password when I went looking for the MDS.

5W-20 HDEO?

Here's the VOA.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...rmance-lubricants-hdeo-5w-20#Post5463270

HTHS? Wanted a password when I went looking for the MDS.

It's sold through their distribution arm, Advanced Lubrication.

https://www.advlubrication.com/coll...vy-duty-motor-oil?variant=31346076778519

The HTHS of the 5w-20 is 2.9 cP.

Back