Amazon to pay $500 million in 'thank you' bonuses to front-line workers

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
I wonder what the catch is, probably a contract selling your soul to Bezos.

No job is perfect. But any bonus is welcomed.

In healthcare the frontline workers don't get bonuses for just doing their jobs.

I've never quite understood why there's an expectation of sorts for bonuses for people to do their jobs, including the good and bad natures of the beast.

"Frontline" workers should have known that such a situation, or worse, could come. It has been talked about in various forms for decades. Remember the mega bug or whatever it was called?

What stinks for these folks, especially in the medical field, is the expectation to be there, mandatory attendance, yet the daycares and schools are closed. Given the growing number of single parent households, I don't know how they do it. That's a stress and concern no bonus money can buy your way out of...

For delivery people... if they have a dedicated vehicle, I'd suspect their chance of exposure is low and it's probably a decent way for some folks to stay employed and active. Child care remains an issue, and these folks probably have a worse time because I'd doubt that these are high paying jobs.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I wonder what the catch is, probably a contract selling your soul to Bezos.

In healthcare the frontline workers don't get bonuses for just doing their jobs.

I've never quite understood why there's an expectation of sorts for bonuses for people to do their jobs, including the good and bad natures of the beast.

"Frontline" workers should have known that such a situation, or worse, could come. It has been talked about in various forms for decades. Remember the mega bug or whatever it was called?

What stinks for these folks, especially in the medical field, is the expectation to be there, mandatory attendance, yet the daycares and schools are closed. Given the growing number of single parent households, I don't know how they do it. That's a stress and concern no bonus money can buy your way out of...

For delivery people... if they have a dedicated vehicle, I'd suspect their chance of exposure is low and it's probably a decent way for some folks to stay employed and active. Child care remains an issue, and these folks probably have a worse time because I'd doubt that these are high paying jobs.

It's not that we expect a bonus for doing our jobs. Well, speaking for myself anyways. What it IS, is that we are disgusted by trillions of dollars going to people who arent working---often bolstering their "income" to levels they dont even attain while they are working---and to large corporations, wallstreet, etc. who use and abuse us on the daily, and are then told to "just shut up and do what you signed up to do. You should have known. By the way, heres some trash we made with a marker and a posterboard calling you a hero. You like it?"

That's what the issue is.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by JHZR2

It's not that we expect a bonus for doing our jobs. Well, speaking for myself anyways. What it IS, is that we are disgusted by trillions of dollars going to people who arent working---often bolstering their "income" to levels they dont even attain while they are working---and to large corporations, wallstreet, etc. who use and abuse us on the daily, and are then told to "just shut up and do what you signed up to do. You should have known. By the way, heres some trash we made with a marker and a posterboard calling you a hero. You like it?"

That's what the issue is.

Loud and clear.

My wife does specialized healthcare work, and more or less our entire circle of friends, and much of our family, has at least one spouse in healthcare as a therapist, nurse, or doctor. So we are all living challenges associated with having to do jobs, how to manage childcare with other working spouses or family members, etc.

Ive found that its the folks making signs, with opinions on how things "should be" that spout a lot about throwing others' money about, while the folks living the challenge of working and keeping their kids engaged, educated, and safe have real challenges that are different than a few bucks in a bonus.

Not to change the subject.... lots of people got into healthcare and are now miserable how 'corporate' things have gotten.

Don't like it ?

The front door is open, get out !!!!!

All doctors are beholden to the healthcare organization they are at.

Not to change the subject.... lots of people got into healthcare and are now miserable how 'corporate' things have gotten.

Don't like it ?

The front door is open, get out !!!!!

All doctors are beholden to the healthcare organization they are at.

Agreed and great idea. What suggestions do you have that will pay equivalently and one can walk into without lots more school? Work is called work because it's miserable. Otherwise it would be called "hobby".

Why do corporations give out bonuses?
Because they want to keep workers happy and on board.
It is purely a calculated business decision.

I am not saying "good or bad"; just why bonuses, profit sharing, stock options, etc. exist.
In Silicon Valley, these are part of your compensation and are negotiable.
"Golden handcuffs" can be VERY rewarding.
Stock options are how people buy million dollar properties.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

I am not saying "good or bad"; just why bonuses, profit sharing, stock options, etc. exist.

Nobody is giving Amazon working class folk stock options. They don't even get a bottle to pee in because they can't go to the bathroom and have to bring in their own soda bottle.

Nobody is giving Amazon working class folk stock options. They don't even get a bottle to pee in because they can't go to the bathroom and have to bring in their own soda bottle.

Everyone at Amazon can participate in the stock plan, from day 1. Of course this is not options...
My point was, companies pay out what they have to in order to keep employees.

Everyone at Amazon can participate in the stock plan, from day 1. Of course this is not options...
My point was, companies pay out what they have to in order to keep employees.

Not in healthcare they dont. Not until they end up so short staffed and unsafe that people begin a mass exodus, they have to call in travelers, etc. and then the cycle repeats every 3-7 years. The best functional definition of a healthcare worker I have seen is "you are the most worthless trash to ever save a life." That is exactly how your employer and the public will treat you if you give them even an ounce of leeway to do it without coming down HARD and keeping them in line. Most healthcare workers lack a union, etc. to truly make that happen.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Not in healthcare they dont. Not until they end up so short staffed and unsafe that people begin a mass exodus, they have to call in travelers, etc. and then the cycle repeats every 3-7 years. The best functional definition of a healthcare worker I have seen is "you are the most worthless trash to ever save a life." That is exactly how your employer and the public will treat you if you give them even an ounce of leeway to do it without coming down HARD and keeping them in line. Most healthcare workers lack a union, etc. to truly make that happen.

That is really sad. It also seems like bad business to me.
I don't get it. Healthcare workers around here that I have dealt with or known, are very happy in their careers.
There are many who left lucrative high tech to get into nursing and other health care professions.
Compensation is good and there are many jobs.
That's my understanding.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

That is really sad. It also seems like bad business to me.
I don't get it. Healthcare workers around here that I have dealt with or known, are very happy in their careers.
There are many who left lucrative high tech to get into nursing and other health care professions.
Compensation is good and there are many jobs.
That's my understanding.

Some areas have unions. CA has unions. They get lunch breaks and other breaks, mandatory staffing ratios, and likely have institutions that protect them from physical and verbal violence better. Healthcare in CA is much more pleasant than elsewhere, where healthcare staff is just a disposable commodity, you can't just wipe out union employees and get some new grads that will cost you less and put up with BS for 1-2 years and then wash-rinse-repeat.

Healthcare is not always sunshine and roses. I meet with CFOs and COOs to get their signatures.... some of these people are not very friendly.

Yes, unions do help their members to a certain point, that doesn't eliminate the incompetence and hostility towards the non management, hourly staff.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Some areas have unions. CA has unions. They get lunch breaks and other breaks, mandatory staffing ratios, and likely have institutions that protect them from physical and verbal violence better. Healthcare in CA is much more pleasant than elsewhere, where healthcare staff is just a disposable commodity, you can't just wipe out union employees and get some new grads that will cost you less and put up with BS for 1-2 years and then wash-rinse-repeat.

I have been in Silicon Valley since fall '66, when everything was orchards and houses started a $3,000. My Dad was an aerospace engineer at Lockheed.
So I really don't know first hand how much of our country operates, especially regarding healthcare.
I do know that people who have left for other states do tell me just how good healthcare is here vs other states.
A few women have even told me they come here just to get reasonable check ups because they cannot afford them at home.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I have been in Silicon Valley since fall '66, when everything was orchards and houses started a $3,000. My Dad was an aerospace engineer at Lockheed.
So I really don't know first hand how much of our country operates, especially regarding healthcare.
I do know that people who have left for other states do tell me just how good healthcare is here vs other states.
A few women have even told me they come here just to get reasonable check ups because they cannot afford them at home.

Not sure on the consumer end of things, as I do all I can to stay out of a hospital. I do know that since UHC, my insurance has gotten far worse and costs me far more so that I can have the privilege of paying for everyone who isn't as conscientious about their health or bills as I.

I forgot to mention with respect to healthcare , unions (nurses, assistants) gets the Protective equipment, bonus etc and also were able to retain the 3% 401k match. The match is gone. My wife fortunately has been working because half her group was out sick for weeks with a certain positive test including supervisor which wife took Interim role of.

That all being said Amazon workers really bust to get stuff done and giving out bonuses is great for moral and retention.Quality Corporations are made up of happy employees iwho perform. Talent acquisition is a very expensive and time consuming process.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I forgot to mention with respect to healthcare , unions (nurses, assistants) gets the Protective equipment, bonus etc and also were able to retain the 3% 401k match. The match is gone. My wife fortunately has been working because half her group was out sick for weeks with a certain positive test including supervisor which wife took Interim role of.

That all being said Amazon workers really bust to get stuff done and giving out bonuses is great for moral and retention.Quality Corporations are made up of happy employees iwho perform. Talent acquisition is a very expensive and time consuming process.

Agree 100%. Everyone who works their are off to get stuff done should be rewarded/appreciated in some way.

I work for a small company and I always feel appreciated when I go the extra mile. Sometimes it's a thank you, sometimes a generous bonus, sometimes a basically free 2005 Silverado. I definitely work harder and continue to put in extra effort because I know it's not unnoticed.

Originally Posted by madRiver

That's AWESOME! I get to buy discounted insurance at $380/mo with a $7K deductible. Otherwise, screw me, right? Wished I had a union.

Reading all these comments, I am sure some agree.
I dont care what kind of work anyone does. Its a job and if they are unhappy, then you find a new one or new career.
Simple as that.

As far as Amazon and their "bonus" good for the workers. To me its a nice gesture but lets face it people, that money is gone in a week :eek:)
Just like every other big company out there, at least the ones I know, the bounces have been better then Amazon.
Even Walmart is now on their second round of bonuses.

Its all good, Im just not praising Amazon for being so "late to the game." Lets face it, they had gross income of 115 billion dollars last year, 500 million expense is nothing once the accountants are done with it.

I even laugh at the USA stimulus check. Are you kidding me? A 2 trillion dollar program and the taxpayers got some left over scraps in the form of stimulus checks, plus the hardworking people are going to pay back the full 2 trillion that they got scraps out of *L*

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
I dont care what kind of work anyone does. Its a job and if they are unhappy, then you find a new one or new career.
Simple as that.

As far as Amazon and their "bonus" good for the workers. To me its a nice gesture but lets face it people, that money is gone in a week :eek:)
Just like every other big company out there, at least the ones I know, the bounces have been better then Amazon.
Even Walmart is now on their second round of bonuses.

Its all good, Im just not praising Amazon for being so "late to the game." Lets face it, they had gross income of 115 billion dollars last year, 500 million expense is nothing once the accountants are done with it.

I even laugh at the USA stimulus check. Are you kidding me? A 2 trillion dollar program and the taxpayers got some left over scraps in the form of stimulus checks, plus the hardworking people are going to pay back the full 2 trillion that they got scraps out of *L*

Maybe you like certain aspects...yet hate others. Nothing is ever 100% anything.

Simple as that.

Yep. + 10000000 %

If you don't like where you are currently employed.... quit and find a much better job. Too many people stay in a dead end job for many years cause they get comfortable where they work.

I've been at the same company for over 30 years, if things were bad I would have quit within 3 weeks.

Amazon and Wal-Mart should get bonuses every 3 months like I got when I worked for Publix Supermarkets a very long time ago. All part-time employees working a minimum of 20 hours got a quarterly bonus and Publix stock ESOP.

I don't know if Publix still has quarterly bonuses....

Back