Tesla Crushing It - Again

Originally Posted by PimTac

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-jd-power-initial-quality-study-ev-rank/

JD Power initial quality results are a joke. They do not even state what the issues are.
An issue can include "I don't understand (or like) the way it works". Hardly a quality issue.

You might agree a far more important measure is customer satisfaction. Tesla is far ahead of the pack, according to Consumer Reports.

Originally Posted by PimTac

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-model-s-battery-problem-safety-investigation/

We will have to see about the battery investigation. Have you heard of any results?

Your points have hardly hurt sales deliveries or market results.
Again, this is the basis of my post.
The point is, Tesla's Q2 results are staggering, especially with the on-going pandemic.
The market has rewarded those results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Because they're a black hole for SRI* investors? With billions of funding trying to find a place to go in order to fulfill SRI goals Tesla truly is the ONLY game in town and there are a ton of people piling in to ride this train hoping to jump off before the Robinhood investors have figured it out.

* SRI: "Socially responsible investing, or social investment, also known as sustainable, socially conscious, "green" or ethical investing, is any investment strategy which seeks to consider both financial return and social/environmental good to bring about social change regarded as positive by proponents"

Now this is a good one.
Perhaps you deserve extra credit for this novel reason for Tesla's market success.
As of 2017, I believe $21T was invested in SRI vehicles. So perhaps there are a few other strategies beyond TSLA?

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Owners dont seem to care as Tesla consistently ranks highest or close to that in owners satisfaction polls.

UD

This can also be very misleading. No one drops big money on a Tesla without really wanting one. Everyone I know that has a Tesla, and they're pretty popular in my office and around Dallas in general, have always really wanted one. Even when something is wrong with the car, it doesn't matter because they still own a Tesla. It's an awesome car because they believe and want them to be an awesome car- it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'm not saying that they aren't great- I can't speak to the quality as I don't own one. However, I trust 3rd party reviews (which haven't been super positive, especially regarding build quality) more than I trust most owners when it comes to Tesla.

Originally Posted by JustN89

This can also be very misleading. No one drops big money on a Tesla without really wanting one. Everyone I know that has a Tesla, and they're pretty popular in my office and around Dallas in general, have always really wanted one. Even when something is wrong with the car, it doesn't matter because they still own a Tesla. It's an awesome car because they believe and want them to be an awesome car- it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You can say this about any expensive car, right?
All good...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

I think it applies to every niche car manufacture/model. Ferraris, Porche, or even any 'non-expensive' models like an STi, Evo, Vettes, etc.

Originally Posted by Pew

I think it applies to every niche car manufacture/model. Ferraris, Porche, or even any 'non-expensive' models like an STi, Evo, Vettes, etc.

Years ago I drove my '68 Vette L36 Roadster by Ferrari of Los Gatos (owner later went to prison for fraud).
In the shop, I mentioned, "You probably saw my '68 Vette go by, right?"
He said, "No..."

68 side.jpg

Owners dont seem to care as Tesla consistently ranks highest or close to that in owners satisfaction polls.

UD

I'm not saying that they aren't great- I can't speak to the quality as I don't own one. However, I trust 3rd party reviews (which haven't been super positive, especially regarding build quality) more than I trust most owners when it comes to Tesla.

I dont call the cost of a model 3 long range "big money".
For sure its not an economy car but It's less than what my Rx400H sold for and about what I paid for my Ridgeline.

S&X are big bucks, but those have been a minority of the models for a while now.

As far as 3rd parties go - thats a give and take as well.
They aren't always trustworthy as Tesla doenst pay to play or advertise like many do, so teslas often becomes targets - look at what the guys at Top gear tried to get away with.

UD

All good...

Or subarus

UD

For sure its not an economy car but It's less than what my Rx400H sold for and about what I paid for my Ridgeline.

S&X are big bucks, but those have been a minority of the models for a while now.

They aren't always trustworthy as Tesla doenst pay to play or advertise like many do, so teslas often becomes targets - look at what the guys at Top gear tried to get away with.

UD

Right, but you're comparing apples and oranges. No one is dropping roughly $40k on a compact sedan, unless they just absolutely must have a Tesla Model 3. Your Rx400H and Ridgeline are completely in a completely different category. With the exception of the top of the line VW GTI, no other top trim compact car comes within $9k of a base model Model 3.

Tesla also doesn't have to advertise, the folks who want them to succeed do that enough for them. Essentially, this just boils down to who you want to trust. I've chosen to trust unbiased (as far as I can tell) reviews versus people who own them because I can't trust those that own them to hold Tesla accountable for mistakes. There's a Model 3 in my office's parking lot every day that has a near half inch panel gap between his fender and the hood. Yet if you ask the guy who owns the car about how he likes his vehicle, you've never ridden in a better made car than his Model 3. Don't get me wrong- I'm glad he loves his car. As a car guy, it pains me that I don't have a car that I love that much. However, that doesn't make him right, either.

All good...

Or subarus

All good...

I don't really think so, but I see where you're going. My point would be that with other expensive cars, buyers have options that they can cross-shop. When it comes to luxury electric- there's only one real game in town right now (or has been for a while- I know Audi, Jag, and a few others are getting their offerings out now).

UD

UD

Right, but you're comparing apples and oranges. No one is dropping roughly $40k on a compact sedan, unless they just absolutely must have a Tesla Model 3. Your Rx400H and Ridgeline are completely in a completely different category. With the exception of the top of the line VW GTI, no other top trim compact car comes within $9k of a base model Model 3.

Tesla also doesn't have to advertise, the folks who want them to succeed do that enough for them. Essentially, this just boils down to who you want to trust. I've chosen to trust unbiased (as far as I can tell) reviews versus people who own them because I can't trust those that own them to hold Tesla accountable for mistakes. There's a Model 3 in my office's parking lot every day that has a near half inch panel gap between his fender and the hood. Yet if you ask the guy who owns the car about how he likes his vehicle, you've never ridden in a better made car than his Model 3. Don't get me wrong- I'm glad he loves his car. As a car guy, it pains me that I don't have a car that I love that much. However, that doesn't make him right, either.

I was comparing money to money - lets look at how a segment comparison looks.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-us-midsize-luxury-car-sales-figures/

The auto industry segments the model 3 as a midsize luxury sedan, and no one is dropping 40K (or more) on anything BUT the model 3 anymore.

Its completely wiped the floor in its segment. (they haven't reported Q2 yet like many)

UD

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 2.37.19 PM.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't take one blog as the "automotive industry". Nearly everyone (beside this blog) classifies the Model 3 as a compact car, and rightfully so. The EPA classifies a "Compact Car" as a car with between 100-109.9 cubic feet of combined passenger and cargo volume. The Model 3 offers 102 cubic feet- indisputably placing it in the Compact Car category.

They also grouped the Lincoln Continental in as a "mid-size sedan" in that link.
lol.gif

I wouldn't take one blog as the "automotive industry". Nearly everyone (beside this blog) classifies the Model 3 as a compact car, and rightfully so. The EPA classifies a "Compact Car" as a car with between 100-109.9 cubic feet of combined passenger and cargo volume. The Model 3 offers 102 cubic feet- indisputably placing it in the Compact Car category.
They also grouped the Lincoln Continental in as a "mid-size sedan" in that link.
lol.gif

Happy to see alternative data in the form of links.

Goodcarbadcar is the most often quoted source for comparative segments sales I've seen.

https://europe.autonews.com/sales-s...t-21-increase-still-trails-german-rivals
"midsize"

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-model-3-california-best-selling-car/

UD

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 3.02.28 PM.png

Last edited:
lol.gif

Happy to see alternative data in the form of links.

Goodcarbadcar is the most often quoted source for comparative segments sales I've seen.

UD

I mean, everything is a google search away. However, I'll do the leg work for you:

Model 3 combined Passenger and Cargo volume

Vehicle Class Sizes

This one will require you to click a drop down, but I figured that I'd go the extra mile and attach a picture of the drop down text as well.

[Linked Image]

Well I'm not sure how much stock I'd place in an outfit that calls a Lincoln Continental a mid-size sedan, regardless of how many people quote them.

Last edited:
From the very link you provided - " large car"

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 3.05.00 PM.png

Last edited:
From the very link you provided

And they're wrong in their classification. However, I posted that link not for their classification, but for their dimensions, which, if you would continue down, will place it in the Compact Car classification.

From the very link you provided

And they're wrong in their classification. However, I posted that link not for their classification, but for their dimensions, which, if you would continue down, will place it in the Compact Car classification.

So multiple comparative docs list it a medium, one lists it as large (your link) but the EPA has it right?

It would seem the more people will part with 40K for whatever size it is than any other sedan slightly smaller or slightly larger.

UD

Last edited:
So I continued down and I looked at that link you sent again out of curiousity.

It has total passenger volume as 97 cubic feet
Cargo volume 15 feet

Thats 112 - which according to the EPA link you also provided is a mid sized car.

You said 102 in post #5468063.

UD

Back