Jet fuel as a fuel injector cleaner

An STP ad came up on my Facebook feed touting it's use of jet fuel as the primary ingredient in the Super Fuel injector cleaner (and a pinch of PEA). SDS confirms it

https://www.stp.com/sites/default/files/STP%20Super%20Concentrated%20Fuel%20Injector%20Cleaner%20%282015-02%29.pdf

Screenshot_20200627-165426.png

Originally Posted by irad
Jet fuel can be anything from J1 to JP7. I assume they mean cheap Kerosene.

When I worked at General Dynamics - Convair, cruise missiles used JP9 - $100 /gallon. Well that was on the test stand.

Complete analysis:

https://petroleumhpv.org/~/media/PetroleumHPV/Documents/2012_nov15_kerosene_hydrodesulf_product_composition.pdf

"Hydrosulferized" is the process; Kerosine is the final product. Whoopie.

so i'd be just as well off to put a pint of K-1 in my fuel?
around here K-1 is about 3.99/Gal... or 3 cents/oz... so that pictured 12 oz bottle.... 36cents...
local Autozone that bottle is $6.49, or 54 cents/oz.

The marketing wankateers really went home on this one, I'm not sure the "jet fuel" does a whole lot when you only have like an ounce of it per gallon, maybe it helps a little with the injectors, but mostly the petroleum distillates are a carrier for the detergent (PEA,PIB, PIBA, etc..).

Originally Posted by earlyre
so i'd be just as well off to put a pint of K-1 in my fuel?
around here K-1 is about 3.99/Gal... or 3 cents/oz... so that pictured 12 oz bottle.... 36cents...
local Autozone that bottle is $6.49, or 54 cents/oz.

If we are discussing fuel system cleaners and combustion enhancer-cleaners, use a can of Berryman's B-12 and a bottle of Regane every 5th fillup.

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by irad
Jet fuel can be anything from J1 to JP7. I assume they mean cheap Kerosene.

When I worked at General Dynamics - Convair, cruise missiles used JP9 - $100 /gallon. Well that was on the test stand.

Tax dollars well spent...

I don't think there is any issue with it having jet fuel in it. Also has benzene.
As far as being injector cleaner the fact that it has some PEA is a benefit. Most are solvent only.

So, not a terrible product, but not one that i will be putting in my vehicle.

LMAO, IIRC Mag1 had a fuel cleaner for like $2.00-2.50 that had "Jet Fuel" in it. Picked them up when ever I made a stop at Atwoods farm

I used 2-3 bottles a month in my fleet and was hoping it could make my KITT "turbo boost" at least once !! But no cigar

Dave

Back