Cost to paint house?

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I turned 72 today. And I'm thinking about how to paint my 2 story. But maybe not until next summer since I'm too busy hauling stones this year.

We know a lady who was well into her late 80s (could even have been 90) when she painted her house.

Painting just isn't that hard. But make sure you don't fall.

After a certain age anything that requires a ladder is bad news
18.gif

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Originally Posted by ecotourist
I turned 72 today. And I'm thinking about how to paint my 2 story. But maybe not until next summer since I'm too busy hauling stones this year.

We know a lady who was well into her late 80s (could even have been 90) when she painted her house.

Painting just isn't that hard. But make sure you don't fall.

18.gif

Want to laugh? I wear a bike helmet when I have to do something at 6 feet or higher. I provide my reason free of charge!
Have a friend that fell off a ladder approximately 7 feet up, hit his head on the edge of a sidewalk and went unconscious. Ambulance ride,hospital, rehab, and still has big gaps in memory and needed speech therapy.
Yes, I agree, a bit of a freak accident, but I've hit my head plenty of times so far in my life and don't know how many more "freebies" I have left.

Last edited:

People die every hurricane season installing their hurricane shutters. They fall off ladder and hit their head.

I don't blame you for using a bike helmet.

18.gif

I'm trying to tell that to my dad - my mom wants me and him to paint the house this year. I told them time === money, and sometimes it's better to pay for safety than to die saving.

Originally Posted by nthach

18.gif

I'm trying to tell that to my dad - my mom wants me and him to paint the house this year. I told them time === money, and sometimes it's better to pay for safety than to die saving.

I hate ladders. I did tree work for awhile. I would much rather be tied into a tree than to stand on a ladder.

The first 5 yrs or so,at the shipyard, I built and removed staging. Ladders were a big part of the process I inherited a 4 sections of pipe staging from my Dad. 5x7 , wheels levelers. I am well aware of falls, my dad died from a head injury caused by a fall. And I've done enough stupid stuff to convince me that caution is required for old people. I used this to re-stain the cedar clapboards 3 yrs ago. No working from a ladder for this ol' yard bird.
grin2.gif

One idea is to break it up some, even 2 sides over the Summer. Yes, maybe the colors will end up slightly off, unlikely to be noticed between the different sides.

I don't like painting, but would rather funnel the labor $$ into better quality paint. We have vinyl, some mostly just indoor painting.

Painting is hard work and skilled professionals can be worth the money. Last year we got a new to us 1970s house and i chose to DIY. I still spent 3,000 on materials and took 3 weeks off work. Its 5,000 sq feet, painted interior only, one solid color only. It was an eternity of masking. I am guessing i saved myself at least 10k but it was non stop 12+ hour days. I have a big and small sprayer, 18" rollers, 9" rollers, ect and it was still a huge endeavor. I wish i had the extra money at the time to have hired out the painting and the moving but it was all tied up in our first home.

Originally Posted by 555
Want to laugh? I wear a bike helmet when I have to do something at 6 feet or higher. I provide my reason free of charge!
Have a friend that fell off a ladder approximately 7 feet up, hit his head on the edge of a sidewalk and went unconscious. Ambulance ride,hospital, rehab, and still has big gaps in memory and needed speech therapy.
Yes, I agree, a bit of a freak accident, but I've hit my head plenty of times so far in my life and don't know how many more "freebies" I have left.

I think you're wise.

It's true that head injuries appear to be cumulative. I've heard of people making miraculous recoveries after a major head injury, but then falling apart when that was followed by a fairly minor blow.

Just a tip if someone has a lot of paint to buy. Sherwin Williams occasionally offers 40% off on paint which makes their top tier paints very reasonable. You can buy the paint and then bring it back whenever to have it tinted if you, (or your wife) aren't sure about a color at the time of the sale. This will save you a lot of doing the exterior or entire interior of a house.

I hate painting by the way. It always takes longer than I thought it would. My current house has stone and James Hardie siding that shouldn't need paint for quite some time but I'm sure my wife will want to do an exterior color change at some point. I'll be hiring that job out, steep roof and walkout 2 story is not in my comfort zone.

Last edited:
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I could use some advice.
I recently got a quote from Oahu Interior Painting, a local painting company, to paint the interior of my 1200-square-foot house, and they hit me with a price tag of $7000.
Is this quote in the ballpark of what's considered normal these days? Or am I just way off base here?

I recently got a quote from Oahu Interior Painting, a local painting company, to paint the interior of my 1200-square-foot house, and they hit me with a price tag of $7000.
Is this quote in the ballpark of what's considered normal these days? Or am I just way off base here?
A blast from the past thread!! Prices vary, a lot. Shop around and you might find someone willing to paint it for half that cost, or twice as much. Quality as well as the time spent doing the work can vary greatly too. Some people work cheap. I could go on and on, I'll keep it short. Many years ago when I was the President of the PDCA in my area we had a meeting on estimating, and asked the members to price out painting a few areas of where we were meeting. Lets just say prices ranged from about $1,500-$5,000 for the same job.

I was always one of the highest priced painters around according to feedback I got from customers who'd call and tell me they hired someone else. I'd weed customers who were looking for cheap work on the phone. It helped a lot, saved me gas money and time. I got low-balled many times too, it happens. I also had numerous opportunities to see jobs I lost to fly by night workers. Customers would call asking if I could fix shoddy work, by someone that beat me out of the job. I loved that. ;) The best one was a large hallway, for one of my best customers. He bought a house for his daughter for a wedding gift, I did a lot of work for him over the years. He decided to shop around and took a recommendation from a local paint store. Anyway he wanted to paper the hallway. The paper peeled off the walls in sheets with paint attached to the back of it because the guy who low-balled me, by 50% thought he could get away without oil priming the walls. LOL The customer asked if I could fix it. Sure, but sadly there's a lot more work now, the paper couldn't be salvaged, and it's going to cost a lot more. Bottom line to my rant, as with anything else, you often get what you pay for. Check out their work, and their reputation, it could save you a lot of aggravation later on.

What does it cost in your area to paint a single-story, 1800 sq-ft house?

Next door neighbor paid $8k for the interior. He was quoted $11k to do the exterior.

I am a bit surprised by the prices; I was expecting 4 figures not 5.
For a quality interior job that price was good then.
This is how I would rough estimate it.
1800 Sq ft and 4 = 7200
Then take 7200 x $1.25= $9000 in 2024 prices.
So that's pretty close.
This is my own calculation and not a standard.

Sadly, that's the normal pricing trend now, and yes, that's typical of today's price gouging. It's not that hard, does not take all that long, and DIY'ers can pull off a 1200 square foot house in a two weekends.

I just completed painting the white part of the front and 80 foot long garage side of my house. Took a day, and was stupidly easy. No way I'm paying $10K for someone to spray the house, when a small thick roller gets the job done fast, without overspray.

Just got a roof quote to replace the tile, $75,900. That's more than my airplane is worth, and they can finish the job in 4 days. Price gouging, plain and simple.

Before painting:

on0YV12.jpg

Our house is small by most standards; 1200 sq ft. Plus a shed in the back, 200 sq ft. A local gal cleans our house and her hubby does landscaping for our 3 houses; I love their work and always give them a healthy tip. They gotta eat too.

Anyways, our house was painted 25 years ago with 3 coats of Kelly Moore. The paint is still good, but some of the trim needs work and other stuff needs to be done.

Our housekeeper told a friend of theirs to give us a good deal. Ceaser has been painting (and other construction) for more than 25 years. He has a nice work van and good tools; that speaks loudly to me. I was quoted $4800 for Benjamin Moore, 2 coats. More if we want 3, but he doubts it is necessary. Ceasar power washed everything, has been doing small repairs and re-caulked many areas. He is a super worker bee and generally works 2 jobs with his crew. We've had rain the past 2 days, so he will paint next week. I was expecting closer to $7K, in all honesty, especially with top tier paint.

@The Critic dunno if you are still looking, but I will let you know how this works out.

We recently finished painting the interior of our house. No point in having refinished floors and new baseboards if the walls look crappy. Used several hundred dollars worth of top quality paint.

The adventure was painting the 2 story entry. You have to think about how to do each part and then do it very carefully.

Some parts of the exterior (the fascias and some of the trim) should be painted this summer. I'll get an estimate for the fascias, some of which are on the second story. We'll see if anyone is interested in a small job.

Back