Originally Posted by tblt44
Redline, liqui moly or amsoil

No Royal Purple?

Yeah yeah, I can get RP at Wallyworld.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by Normac
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
As hot as this summer is getting, 15W40 HDEO would even be on my short list.

Funny you mention a 40-wt, I was actually thinking of SuperTech 10w40 as another possibility this summer.

Thats a good choice. Cheap and will stand up great for extended driving at highway speeds. 10K interval & mid-to-upper grade filter (Napa Gold), just perfect.

I agree with you guys...

Like other guys have said those 2.2s can run on anything.... My lady's Pontiac Sunfire had that really great motor in her car. We got it to 214,000+ miles and sold it for $800 running great. A young fella at a local high school got the car and my lady saw it for the next 3+ years after we sold it to him.

One thing of interest is that if that car developes or has a miss in it... It could be the spark plug wires... We changed the plugs and wires and the car developed the miss at idle and running... I had the same phenomena with my Nissan Sentra. It had only been 2 years since the initial change of plugs and wires. I changed the wires and it ran much better and like it did before.

Thanks to all who replied. Each of you has given me something to think about, and the tips are greatly appreciated.

Summary: Cheap Xw30 oil and filter, possibly a HDEO 30 or a 10w40 in the summer.

Good enough for a beater!

Too bad nothing gm has sold for economy cars has been as good as the Cavalier/Sunfire since they stopped making them. I know a guy with an 03 Cavalier ecotec with almost 400k miles. He runs it low on oil all the time and hasn't changed it since he got it from his uncle like 40k miles ago. Timing chain is starting to rattle. The previous 99 Sunfire 2.2/auto he had ran fine until the subframe rusted out. The ecotec probably won't take the abuse as long as the old 2.2.

DiL drove the (blank) out of an Aztek for 13 years ... nothing broke ... Used to ask her to park it in front of the neighbors house 👀

Originally Posted by 4WD
DiL drove the (blank) out of an Aztek for 13 years ... nothing broke ... Used to ask her to park it in front of the neighbors house 👀

You too bourgeoise 4wd for a Aztek to parked in front of your house
lol.gif

Seriously... The Aztek, Sunfire and the Cavalier with that 2.2L motors were truly strong and very reliable great vehicles if taken care of.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Too bad nothing gm has sold for economy cars has been as good as the Cavalier/Sunfire since they stopped making them. I know a guy with an 03 Cavalier ecotec with almost 400k miles. He runs it low on oil all the time and hasn't changed it since he got it from his uncle like 40k miles ago. Timing chain is starting to rattle. The previous 99 Sunfire 2.2/auto he had ran fine until the subframe rusted out. The ecotec probably won't take the abuse as long as the old 2.2.

Sadly would have to agree. All the J bodies I have owned ended up at the yard rusted out, with great running drivetrains.

My Cobalt has been okay- but the Cavaliers outshine it in almost every way. Cobalts were always iffy , and the only good stories I hear about the Cruze was with the 1.8, not the 1.4 Turbo.

Seems like the cars went from junky bodies and great power trains to greater bodies and junkier drivetrains.... Pays to keep it simple with your intro cars!

I'm old school but still mostly avoid 10w40s "because they might shear". Antiquated thinking I know.

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

Sadly would have to agree. All the J bodies I have owned ended up at the yard rusted out, with great running drivetrains.

My Cobalt has been okay- but the Cavaliers outshine it in almost every way. Cobalts were always iffy , and the only good stories I hear about the Cruze was with the 1.8, not the 1.4 Turbo.

Seems like the cars went from junky bodies and great power trains to greater bodies and junkier drivetrains.... Pays to keep it simple with your intro cars!

I had a 2000 Cavalier I bought from my best friend and his wife. 120k miles and we'll maintained. Only one small rust spot near the gas door. They oil sprayed it every year. I only kept it a few months because the fuel savings didn't make up enough for the extra insurance (despite the 140 mile round trip to work). It was an automatic and I would have kept it had it been a manual. it also has no cruise control and the seating position cramped my leg up on that long daily drive. Other than that it was a great car.

Cavalier is much better than the Cobalt, and Cobalt is much better than the Cruze. A significant downgrade for each one when it comes to reliability and longevity.

Btw I ran 0w40 euro oils in mine cause that's what I was running in my old stuff at the time. I think I did 6k mile oci all Highway.

Just any basic oil change kit you can do at Walmart for $30 and change it at 5K, simple.

How does she shift? If it's easy to do, I'd be tempted to get some cheap new MTF in there (or ATF, if that's what it calls for)

I'm sure others will be able to give better recommendations, if she's not shifting well.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
How does she shift? If it's easy to do, I'd be tempted to get some cheap new MTF in there (or ATF, if that's what it calls for)

I'm sure others will be able to give better recommendations, if she's not shifting well.

Actually shifting is quite smooth and easy.
That thought had come to mind (MTF), but I hate to mess with it as smooth as it is right now.

Last edited:
And when you get the chance, throw on a new valve cover gasket, fresh fill of coolant, flush the brake fluid and do the little things.

Originally Posted by Normac
Originally Posted by gathermewool

Actually shifting is quite smooth and easy.
That thought had come to mind (MTF), but I hate to mess with it as smooth as it is right now.

I totally agree. I wouldn't do anything with the MTF in that case. It really seems as if you lucked out.

One thing I would NOT due is assume that this thing is going to die on you in the next six months. If you're able to do the work yourself and things are due, I'd do them (e.g., coolant, timing belt, drive belt, etc.) If you can't do these things yourself, then I'd just let it ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back