Eco Diesel failure

A few years back we were considering a GC equipped with that engine. After doing some homework, I decided against it. IMO it is not a good engine, and the nearly $5K up charge at the time made passing on it real easy.

Diesel for consumers in North America a hot mess. A string of fail in last 10 years with a price premium on top. Great for in warranty people who lease and newish vehicle flippers out there.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by CT8
WARRANTY? The Eco Diesels seem to be trouble some engines per internet blather.

Agreed; I became engaged in a heated discussion in one of the Jeep forums about the issues with modern diesels and was more or less told I did not know what I was talking about. Said that Overkill's experience with constant regens was impossible and DPF/SCR/DEF was not as problematic as I suggested.

I laughed and said I hope you have a great service life with no issues, but I would not hold my breath on it, it is after all, a Fiat diesel.
crackmeup2.gif

Not all diesels are created equal, just ask average taxi owner in Europe.
Also, I had Lancia Lybra with 2.4 JTD 5cyl engine (FIAT) that made some 520k km under my belt, sold it to my worker who drove it until some 700k km, before he got drunk and slammed it into tree. This 3.0 Ecodiesel is outlier in FIAT fleet.

Same experience (albeit not as many km lol) with the 1,9 Fiat diesel, TD then JTD.

Hi
With the gas prices you lads pay I would not even consider an ecodiesel. Having said that I believe that Fiat have even managed to screw the Hemi engine by redesign of the camshaft position. I think that only Fiat could have done that
smile.gif

Fiat are to merge with Peugeot. What could possibly go wrong?

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Originally Posted by cdlamb
My Fathers 2018 Dodge ecodiesel engine failed on him. He purchased the truck new, & he is 77.

He has only got about 32,000 kilometers on it, or less than 20000 miles.

I am not sure which oil he was using in it. Oil changes were being done in a local garage, but I believe he was supplying the oil to be used.

He had been driving a VW TDI diesel prior to this, & was probably still using up the same Diesel oil that was recommended for the VW diesel. Hopefully it meets the Dodge Specs, & they don't deny him warranty. He also had an older Ford F250 diesel.

Looks like the owners manual pretty much recommends Shell Rotella (T6 I assume, as it doesn't really say in the book)

Garbage engine, trade it in for a ford F series diesel. At least Ford can make diesel engines. And use heavy duty engine oil next time.

After the 6.0 disaster and the mess with later diesels the 6.7 looks pretty good, until you have to pay for fixes.

Ford is only up to average on a low scale.

Rod

Last edited:
That is better and improved new technology for you there folks, come get and pay a premium for all this technology to boot!

Big 8 cylinder gassers on these 3/4 and one ton trucks is starting to look like the better choice. Yeah, they will wear out after 200,000 miles of heavy duty use rather than the 400,000 miles that the new technology diesels are supposed to be getting, but never seem to do these days.

Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi
With the gas prices you lads pay I would not even consider an ecodiesel. Having said that I believe that Fiat have even managed to screw the Hemi engine by redesign of the camshaft position. I think that only Fiat could have done that
smile.gif

FIAT hasn't made any changes to the HEMI. The location of the cam in the current HEMI engine hasn't changed.

Originally Posted by javacontour
This is sad. I wanted to like the Eco-Diesel. The 2020 engine is supposed to be improved. I am not in the market any time soon, so I have time to watch how things turn out.

Same here! I was in powertrain at Chrysler when the first engine was coming out and it had issues for sure. Bean counters got in there too much. I no longer work there but I still have good friends and should ask how the new one is handling testing/customer use. I really want that interior and 1000mi range! 40k more miles on my 300S and it's time to start looking...

Hi Edy
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I service a friend's loaded 2015(?) Jeep GC with the EcoDiesel; it has about 85K.
I use Rotella T 5w40 regularly at 10K OCIs. I suggested we shorten the OCIs to 8K or less.
There have been warranty recalls, but so far so good. It was expensive.

That engine likes heavy oil, and heavy oil is band aid. Anything with robust HTHS should work. This new Motul X-Clean Gen2 5W40 looks like good candidate also.

Hi Edy
May I have your opinion of the following Motul oils suitability for the Ecodiesel please? It looks good to a layman like me. Interesting that it has worse pour point than the x-clean generation 2 even though it is Ester based. No ash content given either.

https://cdn.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/motul/MotulSport5W-40GB.pdf

Many thanks.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi
smile.gif

FIAT hasn't made any changes to the HEMI. The location of the cam in the current HEMI engine hasn't changed.

Yep! The HEMI is made on a transfer line making any changes extremely difficult because it is not like a CNC where you can change a true position. Very very fast manufacturing however! Impressive facility I've been there a few times.

I have the first iteration of RAM Cummins 6.7 with SCR. It was problematic to the point I would not consider a diesel again. These are very complicated systems.
I realize the Ecodiesel is a different animal, but similar overall problem - they need to get their act together.

Another issue is Dodge dealers lack the employees with expertise to work on them.

It's a 183 cubic inch diesel with aluminum heads I believe and a cast iron block? It puts out a lot of torque and it's too much stress for that IMO. What other truck duty diesel has aluminum heads? There is too much heat generated in the combustion chambers and too much power for the small structure, or they wouldn't be failing. Nothing is like all cast iron for stability and strength.
49.gif

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
It's a 183 cubic inch diesel with aluminum heads I believe and a cast iron block? It puts out a lot of torque and it's too much stress for that IMO. What other truck duty diesel has aluminum heads? There is too much heat generated in the combustion chambers and too much power for the small structure, or they wouldn't be failing. Nothing is like all cast iron for stability and strength.
49.gif

The Duramax has aluminum heads.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by CT8
WARRANTY? The Eco Diesels seem to be trouble some engines per internet blather.

Agreed; I became engaged in a heated discussion in one of the Jeep forums about the issues with modern diesels and was more or less told I did not know what I was talking about. Said that Overkill's experience with constant regens was impossible and DPF/SCR/DEF was not as problematic as I suggested.

I laughed and said I hope you have a great service life with no issues, but I would not hold my breath on it, it is after all, a Fiat diesel.
crackmeup2.gif

We had a 2002 Ford p/u with the 7.3 Powerstroke and to date it was the most trouble free / reliable vehicle I ever owned and I have owned 4 Toyota pick ups and 1 Camry. That said we now have a 2018 F350 with the gas engine . The wife and daughter went to a horse show and towing the same trailer and horses etc got 9 mpg with the gas engine instead of the almost 14 on the 7.3 Powerstroke. $9,000.00 buys lots of gas. There is no way would buy a pos diesel engine with all the emission parts and the poor serviceability of the designs. ,

49.gif

As OVERKILL said, the Duramax platform has used aluminum heads and cast iron block since day 1, and they push 350-400 psi. And OP said it was an internal bearing/rotating assembly failure.

Last edited:
I was/am looking at this for down the road in 4-5 years when my wife retires and she wants to go camping.

Of course, we'll rent an RV first and see if she's still up to it after going with a motor home for a week.

If she is, then we can look at a truck and trailer. I was thinking of the Eco-Diesel only because it seems the Ram is the nicest to drive around when you are NOT doing truck things as well as being decent at doing truck things. A turbo engine for those times we might drive at higher elevations appeals to me.

But who knows, in 5 years, the F150 might have the same car-like ride AND offer, what seems to be, a reasonably reliable Ecoboost engine, giving the turbo advantages without all the disadvantages that come with modern diesel powered vehicles.

Or I can just make sure we get a trailer that we can tow with my '99 Grand Marquis and call it a day
smile.gif

Originally Posted by e30m3pilot
Originally Posted by javacontour
This is sad. I wanted to like the Eco-Diesel. The 2020 engine is supposed to be improved. I am not in the market any time soon, so I have time to watch how things turn out.

Same here! I was in powertrain at Chrysler when the first engine was coming out and it had issues for sure. Bean counters got in there too much. I no longer work there but I still have good friends and should ask how the new one is handling testing/customer use. I really want that interior and 1000mi range! 40k more miles on my 300S and it's time to start looking...

Originally Posted by shibby6600
49.gif

As OVERKILL said, the Duramax platform has used aluminum heads and cast iron block since day 1, and they push 350-400 psi. And OP said it was an internal bearing/rotating assembly failure.

Good info but aluminum is still not as good as iron when mixed with an iron block on a diesel IMO. I had a diesel car with aluminum head and one hard pull up a long grade in the summer killed it. So that's my bias. No one can convince me it's just the same as iron on iron, it's not. Duramax had issues too, with early versions overheating and head gasket failure and they strengthened the main bearings according to the article. There is a big difference between a 400 cubic inch diesel v8 engine strength and a 183 v6 for heavy use. Isuzu designed the Duramax with GM that makes a difference too. Japan perfectionism. USA conditions where the roads are long, grades steep and people pull heavy loads up mountain passes in the summer is a huge test for engines. People laugh at Fiat, Renault, etc for a reason. they didn't hold up on American roads. There were other reasons besides the engine but I have owned those too and as good as the engine "seemed" it was not up to American conditions. As I said,
49.gif
but I always have reasons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duramax_V8_engine

Originally Posted by Davejam
I have the first iteration of RAM Cummins 6.7 with SCR. It was problematic to the point I would not consider a diesel again. These are very complicated systems.

I talked to a mechanic at the local transit authority while he was waiting to put a bus on the hook back to the garage - he told me they're lucky to see a Cummins ISB 6.7 in their hybrid buses go 30K without a major failure.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Originally Posted by Bjornviken
Garbage engine, trade it in for a ford F series diesel. At least Ford can make diesel engines. And use heavy duty engine oil next time.
After the 6.0 disaster and the mess with later diesels the 6.7 looks pretty good, until you have to pay for fixes. Ford is only up to average on a low scale.
The Ford diesel platform still has issues:

-- The Bosch HPFP pumps have failed due to ULSD fuel (not unique to Ford, Bosch is the problem here).
-- The DPF/SCR/DEF systems have had lots of issues from early plugging of the DPF, to the myriad of SCR sensors that have failed, to the issues with the DEF system often requiring a complete replacement.
-- The system can be caught in a "continuous regen" if only driving in stop and go traffic sending fuel mileage into the toilet.
-- The EGR coolers typically plug or leak and this is exacerbated by stop and go driving.
-- The fuel filter system (at least until 2017 when it was redesigned) has a horrible design such that the WIF sensor sits about 1.25" above the bottom of the filter housing and water is pulled into the system long before it goes off (and damage is not covered by the warranty).

While OTR and other heavy duty machinery may keep diesels alive, for passenger cars and light trucks, I opine they will go the way of the dodo much sooner than later.

Good info but aluminum is still not as good as iron when mixed with an iron block on a diesel IMO. I had a diesel car with aluminum head and one hard pull up a long grade in the summer killed it. So that's my bias. No one can convince me it's just the same as iron on iron, it's not. Duramax had issues too, with early versions overheating and head gasket failure and they strengthened the main bearings according to the article.

The VT365 (6.0L PowerStroke) had iron heads and suffered head gasket failure as well, as well as EGR and oil cooler failures...etc. The 6.4L that came after it was even worse and the reason Ford went in-house to design the Scorpion to replace it. Iron heads and block are not a guarantee against these sorts of issues.

There is a big difference between a 400 cubic inch diesel v8 engine strength and a 183 v6 for heavy use.

Not really. Both are light duty diesel engines. The Duramax in its current iteration is 445HP, at 6.6L, that puts it at 67.42HP/L, but the design spec allows for up to 550HP, or 83.33HP/L. The EcoDiesel, at 260HP and 3.0L is 86.67HP/L in comparison.

Isuzu designed the Duramax with GM that makes a difference too. Japan perfectionism.
Not really, Cummins and CAT have produced some amazing engines over the years and are both American companies. The Japanese don't have any sort of monopoly on quality diesel engines.

USA conditions where the roads are long, grades steep and people pull heavy loads up mountain passes in the summer is a huge test for engines. People laugh at Fiat, Renault, etc for a reason. they didn't hold up on American roads. There were other reasons besides the engine but I have owned those too and as good as the engine "seemed" it was not up to American conditions.

According to Shannow, the VM diesel, prior to its use in the RAM, was a very well regarded engine in Australia, where conditions are just as trying, if not moreso than in the US. I expect the issues with this engine this side of the pond are more to do with "improvements" made to it or "efficiencies" that didn't end out being beneficial.

Back