Echo Power Blend - mess - easier way to measure?

Admittedly dumb question. A few years back I bought this at Home Depot. I figured the dispenser would make measuring easier.

It did - but most leaked all over the shed.

What are you guys using to measure 2 cycle oil? (The plan was to buy a big container and measure from there versus the little premeasured bottles).

I mix about a half gallon at a time (50:1 for a small yard). So, the mixing cups I see on amazon seem like overkill.

Thanks for the help - I missed this life-skill somehow.

echo-oils-lubricants-additives-6450006-64_1000.jpg

At least that bottle is mostly clear, easy to read the side scale. I usually mix 1 gallon at a time, for chain saw & weed whipper. Most all mixes have an easy reference/ adjustment for 1 gallon. If in doubt, mix a tad on the rich side of desired.

I always go by scales, ounces, & the like. I've know some that just ‘eyeball' the mix, no I don't use their fuel.

Your bottle pictured looks easily usable, just with the side scale.

Had the bottle been tipped over or cracked? I've had the same size bottle on my shelf for several years with no leakage or mess when squeezing the bottle to meter out the correct amount for my 50:1 ratio. IDK!

I use a pill bottle with a 1oz mark sharpied on. That way it is kept clean when not in use with a cap. I mix a qt of 32:1 in a Tru-Fuel can. Rassen frassen Mantis likes fresh fuel. Last batch went fast. because I got out the 2 stroke Lawnboy. I'll fill up a 2 gallon jug when I gas up next. When I was just mixing for the Stihl Chainsaw, it was a 2 1/2 gal jug that would often last more than 2 yrs.
grin2.gif

Have an older bottle that was originally the 2.6 ounces per 1 gallon that I use. I took a permanent marker and marked both sides of the bottle. I just take my good ole time refilling the bottle to that mark if I need to do that.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Had the bottle been tipped over or cracked? I've had the same size bottle on my shelf for several years with no leakage or mess when squeezing the bottle to meter out the correct amount for my 50:1 ratio. IDK!

Dunno - I couldn't find a crack or pinhole. It seemed like a cool design. But it was almost as if it was vacuum locked, and kept slowly pulling oil up into the reservoir and leaking around the cap. I ended up throwing it out it was such a mess. Maybe I dropped it or something.

Originally Posted by Chester11
Admittedly dumb question. A few years back I bought this at Home Depot. I figured the dispenser would make measuring easier.

It did - but most leaked all over the shed.

What are you guys using to measure 2 cycle oil? (The plan was to buy a big container and measure from there versus the little premeasured bottles).

I mix about a half gallon at a time (50:1 for a small yard). So, the mixing cups I see on amazon seem like overkill.

Thanks for the help - I missed this life-skill somehow.

I use a cheap $1 kitchen measuring cup from the Dollar Tree.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Have an older bottle that was originally the 2.6 ounces per 1 gallon that I use. I took a permanent marker and marked both sides of the bottle. I just take my good ole time refilling the bottle to that mark if I need to do that.

This is my usual process...Reuse a smaller single use type bottle when dispensing from a larger container.

Originally Posted by Chester11
Originally Posted by gman2304

Dunno - I couldn't find a crack or pinhole. It seemed like a cool design. But it was almost as if it was vacuum locked, and kept slowly pulling oil up into the reservoir and leaking around the cap. I ended up throwing it out it was such a mess. Maybe I dropped it or something.

This is common in Arizona in my detached garage. On hot day the product expands and pressure pushes air from the bottle past seal. At night the product cools down and contracts but air cannot get in so plastic bottle wrinkles up a bit. This repeated process eventually creates a leak where the bottle wrinkles. Solution is to either keep products in a cool dry place OR leave the caps on everything slightly loose so bottle does not stress. A detached garage or shed is a bad place to store product due to daytime heat and nighttime temp change.

I use one of those little plastic measuring cups that came with a bottle of week killer concentrate.

I use a little plastic measuring cups that came with a bottle of week killer concentrate (I mix very small amounts for OPE)

I use a measuring beaker from Pampered Chef that my Wife was going to throw away. Graduated ounce measurements up to 16 oz. Works perfect.
[Linked Image]

L8R,
Matt

Back