Honda A/C question

So while debugging the O2 sensor I started the CRV. After a while I realized the a/c was on--only because I looked at the dash. It was set to a/c but blowing warm air. With the compressor being replaced last year I was mildly surprised. While testing the O2 sensor I goosed the throttle and while holding the rpm's up I got cool air to come out. Later I asked the wife about it and she said it does that--this CRV was her mothers and it was just handed to us. Apparently it doesn't work at idle.

Low charge or normal to a 2003 CRV?

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Are the condenser fan(s) running with the ac on?

I thought I heard them running. I plan to check.

I don't have any gauges to check with--is it worth buying any? Not looking to go crazy here, but it's worth a few bucks for a/c.

My 2016 Honda CR-V EX has an ECO mode to get better gas mileage. I read somewhere that when the ECO mode is on one of the things it does to get better gas mileage is cut back on when the AC runs. Also along with that I read that on a hot day if you really want maximum AC, (along with selecting MAX on the AC console and turning the fan on the highest setting), you should also turn off ECO mode.

OP, I do not know if your 2003 CR-V has an ECO mode, but if it does you might try turning it off to see if the AC compressor runs at idle with it off.

The article on black death of 2002 - 2006 Honda CR-V's is interesting. A clogged screen in-front of the orifice might cause too high of a pressure on the discharge side of the compressor. If the system has a high pressure limit switch that could turn off the compressor. But I do not understand the connection to an increase in engine (and drive belt and compressor drive) speed causing the compressor to only run at the higher RPM's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JimPghPA
My 2016 Honda CR-V EX has an ECO mode to get better gas mileage. I read somewhere that when the ECO mode is on one of the things it does to get better gas mileage is cut back on when the AC runs. Also along with that I read that on a hot day if you really want maximum AC, (along with selecting MAX on the AC console and turning the fan on the highest setting), you should also turn off ECO mode.

OP, I do not know if your 2003 CR-V has an ECO mode, but if it does you might try turning it off to see if the AC compressor runs at idle with it off.

The article on black death of 2002 - 2006 Honda CR-V's is interesting. A clogged screen in-front of the orifice might cause too high of a pressure on the discharge side of the compressor. If the system has a high pressure limit switch that could turn off the compressor. But I do not understand the connection to an increase in engine (and drive belt and compressor drive) speed causing the compressor to only run at the higher RPM's.

Correct ECO Mode cuts the compressor cycling dramatically.

Its pretty useless at idle or when cooling down, but OK on the freeway after you are at temp and at speed.

UD

Originally Posted by miden851
be on the look out

https://www.bkhondaparts.com/honda-crv-black-death

Interesting link. Have heard about Honda and a/c problems, wife's Civic certainly couldn't keep its a/c working and was the worst part about that car.

Wife and I talked about it already, and if the a/c conks out, that's it. The vehicle is nice enough to justify some repairs but it's not going to be a daily driver for either of us. An entirely new a/c system in a 17 year old car from New England? Doesn't seem wise.

Most shops guarantee their work for at least a year, some 2. I'd take it back to them and let them figure it out.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Most shops guarantee their work for at least a year, some 2. I'd take it back to them and let them figure it out.

Hmm. Was done 11 months and 11k ago, and it says it's warrantied for 12k/12months. So there is that. Workorder only lists the a/c compressor so anything else that should have been replaced--wasn't. $400 for the compressor and $405 to install (3 hours).

Just have to drive 200 miles to get to the shop (and 200 to get back home). Might be nice to get out of the house and visit family, but then again, traveling a couple of states just to get a/c fixed...
21.gif
Have to think about that one some more.

Originally Posted by supton
So while debugging the O2 sensor I started the CRV. After a while I realized the a/c was on--only because I looked at the dash. It was set to a/c but blowing warm air. With the compressor being replaced last year I was mildly surprised. While testing the O2 sensor I goosed the throttle and while holding the rpm's up I got cool air to come out. Later I asked the wife about it and she said it does that--this CRV was her mothers and it was just handed to us. Apparently it doesn't work at idle.

Low charge or normal to a 2003 CRV?

I'd say low charge, my 2004 was always cold. Be warned, that vintage is known for compressors that grenade and spread metal fragments throughout the lines. If it's still making cold, yours may be OK... For now.

Originally Posted by miden851
be on the look out

https://www.bkhondaparts.com/honda-crv-black-death

You sir, are most correct. Ask my son-in-law how he knows. Thank goodness he had Honda
replace his first AC and it had a 3 year, 36K warranty. Only replaced the compressor first time.

As we speak, I believe the same thing is happening to another CRV. AC compressor was replaced
one year ago and it's now blowing warm air. Owner is taking it in to Honda to check the charge. Thank goodness,
hers is a Honda REMAN as well with the same warranty.

IF I had a CRV with the problems in the AC, I would only take it to Honda Dealer.

I'm supposed to pick up my CRV from the dealer today, AC compressor failure.

2016 with 9,100 miles.
1 year warranty on the new OEM compressor.

$1,500

The AC system has been a week link in the Honda line.

Originally Posted by ondarvr
I'm supposed to pick up my CRV from the dealer today, AC compressor failure.

2016 with 9,100 miles.
1 year warranty on the new OEM compressor.

$1,500

The AC system has been a week link in the Honda line.

Honda here gives 3 year, 36k warranty. But that only applies to a Honda Reman.

Sorry about reviving this but I found it doing a search. My son just called about his 2017 Honda Civic. Had the compressor replaced 14 mos ago under warranty and just heard from the dealer that it is bad again. When he complained the dealer told him that Honda would pick up 50% of the cost so he would only pay $500. Seems high for 1 year of AC. Now he is worried this will be part of annual maint.

Sorry about reviving this but I found it doing a search. My son just called about his 2017 Honda Civic. Had the compressor replaced 14 mos ago under warranty and just heard from the dealer that it is bad again. When he complained the dealer told him that Honda would pick up 50% of the cost so he would only pay $500. Seems high for 1 year of AC. Now he is worried this will be part of annual maint.
If they don't flush and replace contaminated parts it will be annual maint.

Back