Streaming device recommendations

I have an old ROKU that has served me well and still works fine. Problem is.....it doesn't support HULU anymore. I have no issue with just buying the latest ROKU but I know there are other options. I do have Amazon Prime and Netflix also. So what is the best device?

Stick with Roku. I recommend getting one that supports 4k, not necessarily because you need it but because they have faster processors that make the entire experience more enjoyable. I personally use a Roku Premiere as my main device and a Roku express in my bedroom, plus 2 other Roku TV's in the house. All work flawlessly 99% of the time, and the other 1% requires nothing more than a quick reboot to cure.

My neighbor highly recommends sling tv for the ability to pay for what you want. Not sure if Roku is similar.

I am in the same boat. Netflix doesn't work anymore either. I do not plan to get another streaming device but just use the phone with chromecast. If you are into 4K resolution, a new version of chromecast supports that.

I personally do not see the benefit of having an extra device. Most of them are underpowered and set for timed obsolescence. Almost everything that you can have on Roku has an app in the mobile OS system. You already have a smartphone that you can use. On my phone, I can run Netflix and YouTube simultaneously. Netflix casting on a TV and YouTube with earphones, for e.g.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
I am in the same boat. Netflix doesn't work anymore either. I do not plan to get another streaming device but just use the phone with chromecast. If you are into 4K resolution, a new version of chromecast supports that.

I personally do not see the benefit of having an extra device. Most of them are underpowered and set for timed obsolescence. Almost everything that you can have on Roku has an app in the mobile OS system. You already have a smartphone that you can use. On my phone, I can run Netflix and YouTube simultaneously. Netflix casting on a TV and YouTube with earphones, for e.g.

I absolutely love my Chromecast purchased in 2013 for $24! The in app tablet or smartphone interface is way superior by a long shot vs those other apps. However not sure that will appeal to a remote control interface people seem to like on the other ones.

I have a couple 4k big screens utilized by the family in the living room and a bedroom, they have the ROKU/Netflix/Amazon....built in. I spend my time in exile in the doghouse watching a 2005 vintage DLP . It predated streaming hence the ROKU. I will look into the Chromecast option but am basically lazy and hate most anything if it involves my smart phone.

Get a current Roku that supports 4K. It will work fine for many years and then see what is needed. So it will cost you $10 or $15 a year if you get 4 years out of one before one with newer features is needed.

My old Roku works with Hulu, just not Hulu Live. Which I had then decided it was too much extra to go from Hulu to Hulu Live (about $50) to justify.

We have both a Roku and Amazon Firestick (non-4k). Can't say I notice much of a difference. We acquired the Firestick because Roku was dropping access to Twitch but apparently that came to pass.

I highly recommend Roku. I have the Premiere+ version and it has been rock solid--check at Costco if you have one in your area, I bought mine at a great price there. I also have an Amazon Firestick on a different TV and it can be problematic and have to be rebooted now and again.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
My neighbor highly recommends sling tv for the ability to pay for what you want. Not sure if Roku is similar.

Just to clarify:
Sling TV is a streaming service.
Roku is a streaming device/player.

Roku allows you to take advantage of a streaming service, such as Sling TV, as well as many other streaming services (Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, Hulu, etc.)

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I highly recommend Roku. I have the Premiere+ version and it has been rock solid--check at Costco if you have one in your area, I bought mine at a great price there. I also have an Amazon Firestick on a different TV and it can be problematic and have to be rebooted now and again.

+1

I've had Roku Premiere+ for 3 years now - very happy.

With that said, I would like to get a Firestick 4K as well, just in case I decide to side load some apps. There is no way to side load apps on Roku. Most people don't need it.

I have all of these devices except for the Amazon product. Chromecast has been the best one so far. Apple TV was the most expensive one and the worst.

We have the FireStick 4K since mid/late last year.
It is fast and flawless for us. We run Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, and some other things. It was cheap enough at about 40 dollars at our local Target. It requires an Amazon login/account. The device basically hangs behind the TV out of sight. it does require a direct-powered USB which can be on your TV or, if needed, powered from the wall in some way.
But, it has been great.

We had a Fire TV 4K, it worked fine, but our newest TV came with Roku built in and found that I liked that interface a lot more. We gave away the Fire TV to my dad and bought a Roku for the old TV.

My dad (and I agree) far prefers the Fire TV to the previous Chromecast because of the standalone design and remote. It was a pain to quickly throw something on the tv. And with the Roku, you still have the ability to cast from you phone as well.

As much as I'm not an Apple fan, I was impressed by our Apple TV device. We were using an old smart Blue Ray player and many of the apps were not being updated. So we bought an Apple TV 32gb 4th Generation and it just works. Even my wife can use it.

Costs more, but I don't have to teach her any special tech tricks. One can even speak to the remote and tell it what show or movie you want to find.

I'm not fan of the iPhone, iPad or the Macbook, but for what we need it to do, the Apple TV seems to be reasonably well sorted.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Roku 4k

Yep ... I have a Roku Premier+ which supports 4K. Works with everything I've streamed.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Roku 4k

Yep ... I have a Roku Premier+ which supports 4K. Works with everything I've streamed.

Yes there is so much no human being can possibly watch all the content. Works with anything Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, tons of secondary apps and I see mentioned Apple TV in here. It's important to know that works too.
We have a total of five Roku players the latest being the 4K which is on the main entertainment system.

Last edited:
I love my older model Fire TV (standalone unit), it's still fast and responsive. However, I have an XBox One X that has been fantastic for streaming youtube, hulu, Netflix, and Amazon prime...it really shines when I want to throw in a blu-ray, CD, or DVD. I understand the game consoles cost more and likely draw more power, but that's another route to consider
smile.gif

Cheers,
Jordan

Back