Which oil does your GM 1.4 turbo seem to like?

I've been using valvoline synthetic since I had the car, seems to run well. Wondering if you guys had a preference or observations with different brands. Thanks!

Whatever meets 5w-30 Dexos spec. 76,000 miles and not a drop of oil added between changes. Going strictly by the OCM, roughly 6-7000 miles between changes

I have used mostly M1 5w30 for the first 115k, then switched to 0w40 or 5w40 Castrol, Pennzoil or M1. Mainly used the 5w30 for the 100k powertrain warranty, but decided to switch based on UOAs from this site. It seems the 1st gen 1.4l is tough on oil so bumping up to a 40 grade made sense to me. I know this is subjective, but the engine seems quieter and smoother running on the xw40, all you really hear is the injectors.

Originally Posted by c502cid
Whatever meets 5w-30 Dexos spec. 76,000 miles and not a drop of oil added between changes. Going strictly by the OCM, roughly 6-7000 miles between changes

How can they let you be a member here at BITOG?
grin.gif

I've been using valvoline synthetic since I had the car, seems to run well. Wondering if you guys had a preference or observations with different brands. Thanks!
I don't have a GM 1.4 turbo, but do have a set of turbo vehicles. The full synths work best for the oil cooled turbos, but I do also put a oil cooler in there to keep the oil from getting too hot.

I don't have a GM 1.4 turbo, but do have a set of turbo vehicles. The full synths work best for the oil cooled turbos, but I do also put a oil cooler in there to keep the oil from getting too hot.

Interesting. Another member here espouses oil coolers all the time.

How did you add the cooler?

For you who use 0W-40 or 5W-40, what advantage, if any, do they have over dexos 1 gen 2? Is there any penalty for using these over di g2. I'd like to use the thicker oil but the dexos matter hinders it in my mind. Thanks for any info.

I have always gone up 1 grade on the 2nd number 20 to 30 or 30 to 40. I did it religiously on 3 cars and went well into 300-400,000 mile territory. I now have a Chevy with 1.5t and I’m using 5w30 D1G2. Car runs great, can’t hear the engine restart with start stop engaging. 1.4t should do fine with M1 0w40

Back