Fixing up a classic Radio Flyer red wagon

I never had one as a kid, but in college I saw one at Target for less than $30. And this really is classic - made in the factory outside of Chicago and not one of the new ones made overseas.

It was stored at my parents' place for years. It's still in pretty good condition. with maybe a bit of rust on the body, but where the bolts are definitely rusted. My parents didn't store it on its side (like I've seen at plant nurseries where they're used in place of shopping carts) and it held rainwater like a bathtub.

I'd like to fix it up. Maybe sand off some of the rust and apply some touchup paint. Mostly I'd like to replace the nuts and bolts with new hardware. Can I just take it into Home Depot and see if they have the right parts? And any suggestions on where I could get touchup paint and what color code?

I can't stand Home Depot for buying nuts and bolts, they're terrible. Go to Ace Hardware. I bet at an Auto Parts store you could buy some GM Red engine paint in an aerosol can that's heavy duty and a nice red.

Just revisiting my old thread. I still have it and the 0890 has still not been fixed. It still works well. I stored it outside under a tarp and some of the rust has flaked, but not all the way through. It still seems like it's in pretty good working condition even with the rusted tub and there's surface rust on the bolts. The wheels turn and the paint on the side and bottom looks almost new. Only the interior is worn. I don't think I really need to replace the bolts, but maybe I need some rust remover for the tub. Maybe Naval Jelly?

Anyone know what spray paint would match? I saw the recommendation for GM Red, but I'm not sure what that is.

My kid realizes that it's irreplaceable since they no longer manufacture in the US.

I used this paint in Regal Red to match the paint on a Radio Flyer metal wagon that had a very rusted wagon pan. The finish was not as glossy as the original paint, I'm pretty sure it was due to the sanding of the wagon not being super smooth and the wagon pan being a little pitted from the rust that ate the metal away,

Rust-Oleum 7565838 Professional High Performance Enamel Spray Paint, 15 oz, Regal Red

Around here, we had "Western Flyers" sold by Western Auto.

Last edited:
Back