Are there synblend 0w20s?

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Till today I was sure that 0w20 is only available in a full synthetic flavor.
Found a blend today @ Walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-GTX-ULTRACLEAN-0W-20-Synthetic-Blend-Motor-Oil-5-Quarts/752307232

So I wonder, is it really syn blend or do they just bottle 0w20 synthetic for marketing/PR purposes?

off topic SlavaB but here's the PDS for the UltraClean 0W-20...

Capture.PNG

Honda used to be stopped blending it and replaced it with full synthetic.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Why would anyone want a SynBlend 🤔

I think the relative low numbers of 0W-20 synblends coupled with only a few of them being readily available answers that question
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Why would anyone want a SynBlend 🤔

No idea really. I just wondered if it's in fact a full synthetic oil since it's 0w20. Just like all conventional became a blend recently

Come on guys!

Again, you know most all U.S. Marketed "Full Synthetics" are only Syn Blends as agreed upon by the NAB ages ago.

You've been running Syn blend in your Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge and Quaker State for well over a decade.

I really only know one True syn and that was M1 0W20 EP.

. Question?

Does synthetic oil offer advantages over the Current Syn Blends markets as "Fully Synthetic Oil"

Challenge:

One of the hIghest performance approval oils is M1 0W40 FS and its is technically a "Syn Blend" .

If you don't know what "Full synthetic" does why keep asking?

This place is becoming like Groundhog Day!

- Ken

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Come on guys!

Again, you know most all U.S. Marketed "Full Synthetics" are only Syn Blends as agreed upon by the NAB ages ago.

You've been running Syn blend in your Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge and Quaker State for well over a decade.

. Question?

Does synthetic oil offer advantages over the Current Syn Blends markets as "Fully Synthetic Oil"

Challenge:

One of the hIghest performance approval oils is M1 0W40 FS and its is technically a "Syn Blend" .

- Ken

I'm sure you're full of scientific insights and ran numerous experiments to prove that the true synthetic oil can cure blown head gaskets and sometimes even blindness. Give me a break

Originally Posted by SlavaB

Come on guys!

I'm sure you're full of scientific insights and ran numerous experiments to prove that the true synthetic oil can cure blown head gaskets and sometimes even blindness. Give me a break

Did I say that?

Or are you just embarrassed and throwing my challenge back in my face?

Let us be SMARTER !

Plus I wasn't targeting you, SlavaB. You just made an observation.

- Ken

Last edited:
Come on guys!

. Question?

Challenge:

- Ken

Stop being facetious. You know good and well he was talking G3 vs G2/G3 blends not G3 vs G4. In the USA G3 is a legal synthetic, get over it.

Last edited:
The way I see it, in the US you can call group 3 or group 3 performance synthetic if they have the purity, volatility, detergency taken care of, instead of the high temperature performance that requires group 4.

For most cars spec for 0w20, you likely can't make it to 10k OCI that they are designed for, unlike 5w20 where most of them only spec for 5k OCI. So because of this reason they do not try to make a low cost "blend" that don't last at least 10k. It might be a group 3 / group 2+ blend that is just good enough, instead of a group 3 only that is better.

As long as not too much burn off from the volatility I'd not worry about it. For direct injection, I'd use something with lower volatility and change often just in case.

Originally Posted by Gene K
Come on guys!

. Question?

Challenge:

- Ken

Stop being facetious. You know good and well he was talking G3 vs G2/G3 blends not G3 vs G4. In the USA G3 is a legal synthetic, get over it.

Thes is NO such thing as a "legal" synthetic, Gene K.

And No, I won't get "over it".

There are too many layperson consumers who still believe they are getting a "technical" synthetic of some sort as had been marketed through the 80's and mid 90's.

- Ken

Ken
You can beetcch and moan for years and Group 3 will still be declared full synthetic. Refinement process and viscosity index lead the charge.
You need to put this complaint in your finished business drawer and Superglue it to the bottom corner, never to be removed again.

Originally Posted by Gene K
Come on guys!

. Question?

Challenge:

- Ken

Thes is NO such thing as a "legal" synthetic, Gene K.

And No, I won't get "over it".

There are too many layperson consumers who still believe they are getting a "technical" synthetic of some sort as had been marketed through the 80's and mid 90's.

- Ken

My point stands. The question was about how many none "Synthetic Labeled" 0W-20 exist. Not really about how many are GIV/GV only.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Ken
You can beetcch and moan for years and Group 3 will still be declared full synthetic. Refinement process and viscosity index lead the charge.
You need to put this complaint in your finished business drawer and Superglue it to the bottom corner, never to be removed again.

Nope.

Like Tom Petty say's, " I Wont Back Down ".

Back