Eco Diesel failure

My Fathers 2018 Dodge ecodiesel engine failed on him. He purchased the truck new, & he is 77.

He has only got about 32,000 kilometers on it, or less than 20000 miles.

I am not sure which oil he was using in it. Oil changes were being done in a local garage, but I believe he was supplying the oil to be used.

He had been driving a VW TDI diesel prior to this, & was probably still using up the same Diesel oil that was recommended for the VW diesel. Hopefully it meets the Dodge Specs, & they don't deny him warranty. He also had an older Ford F250 diesel.

Looks like the owners manual pretty much recommends Shell Rotella (T6 I assume, as it doesn't really say in the book)

I think they told him it was a main bearing.

Sounds like they already got an engine on order, but they are apparently on backorder, & don't know how long before it will come in.

He was pulling a light duty trailer with 2 ATV's on it, & engine started to make noise, & just died.

Said there was even a puddle of oil on the road.

That's what I heard. Common internal failures. Keep your mouth shut about the oil unless they ask, but if they ordered an engine no questions asked, then that's also a clue that this isn't a fluke.

the eco diesel engines are garbage, they are so bad the local Maple Ridge Dodge dealer has warranty engines on crates in the back waiting for installation

list of dead engines, many failed just after the first oil change, I have head of them seizing while being backed off the delivery truck, some vehicles already have replacement engines installed before the first test drive

they seem to fail either almost instantly after being installed or just after the warranty expires

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/eco-diesel-engine-failures.8564/

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/2015-ecodiesel-engine-failure-111-000km.64018/

https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/...replacement-engine-any-different.204011/

class action lawsuit

https://www.sauderschelkopf.com/inv...gine-failure-class-action-investigation/

This is very disappointing. I've always been fond of "consumer diesel engines" gaining an edge.

yea that extra $5000 engine buys alot of gas.. and I like turbo diesels.

IIRC they came with 5w30 orig.. then changed it after engines started imploding right and left.

Originally Posted by CT8
WARRANTY? The Eco Diesels seem to be trouble some engines per internet blather.

Agreed; I became engaged in a heated discussion in one of the Jeep forums about the issues with modern diesels and was more or less told I did not know what I was talking about. Said that Overkill's experience with constant regens was impossible and DPF/SCR/DEF was not as problematic as I suggested.

I laughed and said I hope you have a great service life with no issues, but I would not hold my breath on it, it is after all, a Fiat diesel.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Rand
yea that extra $5000 engine buys alot of gas.. and I like turbo diesels.

IIRC they came with 5w30 orig.. then changed it after engines started imploding right and left.

Fairly certain the new spec is for 5W-40, but there are still issues.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by CT8

Agreed; I became engaged in a heated discussion in one of the Jeep forums about the issues with modern diesels and was more or less told I did not know what I was talking about. Said that Overkill's experience with constant regens was impossible and DPF/SCR/DEF was not as problematic as I suggested.

I laughed and said I hope you have a great service life with no issues, but I would not hold my breath on it, it is after all, a Fiat diesel.
crackmeup2.gif

I think during those winter months my wife burned more fuel in regens than she did in driving
lol.gif

This is sad. I wanted to like the Eco-Diesel. The 2020 engine is supposed to be improved. I am not in the market any time soon, so I have time to watch how things turn out.

I service a friend's loaded 2015(?) Jeep GC with the EcoDiesel; it has about 85K.
I use Rotella T 5w40 regularly at 10K OCIs. I suggested we shorten the OCIs to 8K or less.
There have been warranty recalls, but so far so good. It was expensive.

Originally Posted by CT8

crackmeup2.gif

Not all diesels are created equal, just ask average taxi owner in Europe.
Also, I had Lancia Lybra with 2.4 JTD 5cyl engine (FIAT) that made some 520k km under my belt, sold it to my worker who drove it until some 700k km, before he got drunk and slammed it into tree. This 3.0 Ecodiesel is outlier in FIAT fleet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I service a friend's loaded 2015(?) Jeep GC with the EcoDiesel; it has about 85K.
I use Rotella T 5w40 regularly at 10K OCIs. I suggested we shorten the OCIs to 8K or less.
There have been warranty recalls, but so far so good. It was expensive.

That engine likes heavy oil, and heavy oil is band aid. Anything with robust HTHS should work. This new Motul X-Clean Gen2 5W40 looks like good candidate also.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by CT8

crackmeup2.gif

Also, I had Lancia Lybra with 2.4 JTD 5cyl engine (FIAT) that made some 520k km under my belt, sold it to my worker who drove it until some 700k km, before he got drunk and slammed it into tree. This 3.0 Ecodiesel is outlier in FIAT fleet.

Agreed to a point; the diesels of yesteryear are far better than those of today in regards to longevity, though emissions are a different story. With that said, there are a fair number of modern diesels from all of the manufacturers that have issues. Contrary to the baloney on the Jeep forum, DPF/SCR/DEF do not make for a long trouble free life and even once diesel friendly Europe is now starting to tighten the reins on diesels with regulations to the point they will become unaffordable and will slowly disappear. One thing is certain, modern diesels are made exclusively for the open road and not stop and go driving, you are almost guaranteed to have issues with them if they are only performing grocery getting tasks.

I knew a guy who owns a construction company and he had to trade his whole fleet (6 trucks?) 2016? EcoDiesel Rams on hemis because they were all failing around 80k miles and taking forever to get fixed. He bought Dodge because his friend is a salesperson there.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by CT8

crackmeup2.gif

Agreed to a point; the diesels of yesteryear are far better than those of today in regards to longevity, though emissions are a different story. With that said, there are a fair number of modern diesels from all of the manufacturers that have issues. Contrary to the baloney on the Jeep forum, DPF/SCR/DEF do not make for a long trouble free life and even once diesel friendly Europe is now starting to tighten the reins on diesels with regulations to the point they will become unaffordable and will slowly disappear. One thing is certain, modern diesels are made exclusively for the open road and not stop and go driving, you are almost guaranteed to have issues with them if they are only performing grocery getting tasks.

DPF is generally not an issue. I had BMW E61 525d in Europe with DPF, never had an issue, hit 425k km before selling it. Had 2013 X5 35d with same engine just twin turbo version, and in addition to DPF had SCR. SCR is a problem, and I know that newer models of BMW with third generation SCR are hitting some serious mileage in Europe. But, complexity is there. And I agree, it just does not make sense to own such vehicle with such complex system. Yes, in Europe there is huge shift from diesels to gasoline, but that shift started to happen before SCR became household name. Gasoline engines just became really efficient too. Small turbo engines that are as reliable as naturally aspirated but without SCR, why not?
My take: RAM will replace this diesel with gasoline turbo engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cdlamb
My Fathers 2018 Dodge ecodiesel engine failed on him. He purchased the truck new, & he is 77.

He has only got about 32,000 kilometers on it, or less than 20000 miles.

I am not sure which oil he was using in it. Oil changes were being done in a local garage, but I believe he was supplying the oil to be used.

He had been driving a VW TDI diesel prior to this, & was probably still using up the same Diesel oil that was recommended for the VW diesel. Hopefully it meets the Dodge Specs, & they don't deny him warranty. He also had an older Ford F250 diesel.

Looks like the owners manual pretty much recommends Shell Rotella (T6 I assume, as it doesn't really say in the book)

Garbage engine, trade it in for a ford F series diesel. At least Ford can make diesel engines. And use heavy duty engine oil next time.

Back