Bypass Setting: "14-18" instead of "8-11"

Would it be inappropriate to install a filter with 14-18 PSI bypass setting on a riding mower whose OEM filter is 8-11 PSI?

mower pump so low volume of oil, unless never changed hard to imagine it will ever bypass.

Most engines are still splash lube, so even if plugged no harm.

Rod

On a mower I don't think it will hurt a bit.

One place I used to work at used PH3816 (an ag/tractor filter with 19-37 PSI bypass) in place of PH3614 (12 PSI bypass) on all the gas engine welders (typically Onan or Kohler V-twins) and they all ran fine for thousands of hours using the wrong filter. I could never figure out why the maintenance guy used that particular filter.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
mower pump so low volume of oil, unless never changed hard to imagine it will ever bypass.

Not even at startup?

Originally Posted by Eddie
Some riding mower use a full flow oil filter.

Yes, the application is full flow. In this case, is the bypass setting critical?

If for some reason the oil cannot get through the filter media like being too cold and the oil pump does not build enough pressure you could end up running with no oil. I dont know what the pump design is like but I doubt its like an automotive pump that can get 50 or 60 psi and it may even have its own pressure relief valve lower than the new filter bypass which would also result in no oil to the motor.

Back