dealer oil changes not worth it

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by Trav
Depending on the country you live in you may have to have the vehicle serviced by a dealer or certified workshop to maintain the warranty. DIY doesn't cut it, no stamp in the warranty book no more warranty.

What countries would that be?

That certainly does not apply in THIS country. "Stamp in the book" replaced by on line entry and tracking of work done by Indy or OWNER.

Some Euro countries do this or do you think this is a USA resident forum only? Some companies put dye in the oil as proof spec oil was used and rightfully so.
IMO manufacturers should not be held liable in the form of honoring a warranty when Joe DIY did the service in his driveway with hammers and salad forks using the cheapest crap from a big box store.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
It's an outrage that the dealer wanted to flush the brake fluid on a car that's 18 months old.

24 months so they are a bit premature. Getting it out of the way in summer may be better than waiting til December. Just sayin.

Last edited:
Just say no... easy peasy.

Better yet, do what I do and tell them they are not authorized to touch anything that wasn't specifically requested by me. That means yes your "courtesy inspection" is declined.

It may sound ridiculous, but check your oil filler cap/gasket. I've seen numerous 2017-2018 models leaking oil from this; and it isn't as obvious as one would think.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
tomcat27 said:
Btw, the vast majority of vehicle owners, such as myself, do not have either the space, the tools, or the capability to perform all of their own maintenance.

Changing oil can require a bit of equipment and space, I agree. Air filter and cabin filter almost always require nothing more than a screwdriver, and each of those parts is like $10-12. The air filter usually takes 3-5min to switch out and the cabin filter can be a minute (e.g. 3rd gen Mazda3) or more involved. It took me about 10min on my '08 TL. Just look up how to do it on YouTube. Dealerships charge like $80+ for either of these.

Originally Posted by user52165
Depending on the country you live in you may have to have the vehicle serviced by a dealer or certified workshop to maintain the warranty. DIY doesn't cut it, no stamp in the warranty book no more warranty.

What countries would that be?

That certainly does not apply in THIS country. "Stamp in the book" replaced by on line entry and tracking of work done by Indy or OWNER.

Some Euro countries do this or do you think this is a USA resident forum only? Some companies put dye in the oil as proof spec oil was used and rightfully so.
IMO manufacturers should not be held liable in the form of honoring a warranty when Joe DIY did the service in his driveway with hammers and salad forks using the cheapest crap from a big box store.

Some hammer and salad fork!

Based on your recommendation, thank you, I, (excuse me, I mean Joe DIY), just received this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-...-mm-to-14-mm-55-Piece-SKT05301/309839219

I will find your post, if you forgot.

Last edited:
Good dealerships will do the work asked - and ask for authorization for the rest and offer the upsells as an option.

Many dealers are in bed with BG, MOC/Granitize or Wynn's and all those "services" using chemicals that aren't much better than off-the-shelf stuff is pure profit, the COGS is low and the labor is baked in the flat-rate time.

I don't trust dealers. Back in college, I had a friend that worked as a technician for the local Oldsmobile/Pontiac dealership, the service writers would take a look at a person's account and if they had been reliably coming to the dealer for all their work, the techs would be instructed to snip the rubber boots on the caliper slide-pins to allow water in. Every spring after an upstate NY winter, everyone would come in to change out their snow tires and magically the service writers would come out with the same story "Oh Mr./Ms. it looks like you must have hit something and it tore the boot protecting one of your calipers and it let salt water in, the caliper is frozen up really good. Because you're such a good customer, we can get you a remanufactured caliper installed today for only $400."

Ford was giving essential employees one free "The Works" service package which includes synthetic blend oil, filter, tire rotation and vehicle inspection.

Never in my life since I started turning a wrench has someone else changed my oil until Ford had that little program going on (ended 6/30). I asked for full synthetic and didn't have any price difference because of the situation. When speaking to the Quicklane advisor, I declined the vehicle inspection as well as the tire rotation since I just had it performed at Discount Tire. They still did the vehicle inspection, but whatever. Apparently I need new rear pads but I looked at them a few weeks ago and they've got plenty meat left.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
I don't trust dealers. Back in college, I had a friend that worked as a technician for the local Oldsmobile/Pontiac dealership, the service writers would take a look at a person's account and if they had been reliably coming to the dealer for all their work, the techs would be instructed to snip the rubber boots on the caliper slide-pins to allow water in. Every spring after an upstate NY winter, everyone would come in to change out their snow tires and magically the service writers would come out with the same story "Oh Mr./Ms. it looks like you must have hit something and it tore the boot protecting one of your calipers and it let salt water in, the caliper is frozen up really good. Because you're such a good customer, we can get you a remanufactured caliper installed today for only $400."

Best reason for getting oil changes at Walmart. They may not be terribly competent (neither are dealership oil change techs) but at least there's not much to upcharge on.

Last edited:
It's really lousy to craft a business model all the way down to the level of the margin of an oil change.

You have to conclude Walmart wants you, your wife and possibly your family in the store whilst they service your car.

An affable guy wrangling the bays efficiently (aka Service Manager) could have a steady job.
Ahhh....the promise of America.

Nothing is "free".... I laugh when anyone thinks this or says it.

When I went to school and qualified for grants... I knew it was not "free"... Other people's money was paying for it. The only way I knew to honor it all was to do the best I could and graduate with a legitimate degree where I could help others. I did that.

I have 4 OCs and tire rotations with the Jeep Wave program, but they will expire without ever being used. I do my own maintenance so that I know it is done correctly.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by bbhero
Nothing is "free".... I laugh when anyone thinks this or says it. ...

This reminded me of back when I bought my GMC S-15 Jimmy. The Chevy Blazer had a starting base price about $50 less than the GMC despite both trucks being made in the same line and the only difference was the grill and badges. I later found out that was because GMC "gave" you the first oil change for "free"...
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
Think I'll stay on the Jeep Waive Program ...Ž
I wonder if they can be "transferred"? I will never use them, but it would be a shame for them to go to waste.

Back