2020 Ram 1500 Oil

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Originally Posted by JLaw297
I too just purchased a 2019 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi but am leaning toward using Valvoline. I'm surprised the new Valvoline Advanced Synthetic doesn't get noticed much around here.. Based on the VOAs attached, it looks to have almost as much Moly as PP and then outshines it in every other additive (Zinc, Boron, Titanium etc). Although these were for 5w30, I can't imagine it'd be too far off from the 5w20 formulation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w20 is actually better. I don't know if the formulation has changed much with API SP and GF6 standards but the SN PLUS variation of this oil had a 7.6 NOACK value which among 20 weight oils is only matched by Ravenol.

Personally I am of the opinion that NOACK calculation has changed with SP and GF6 and there may be little (or even perhaps nothing) that has changed with this specific oil's formulation. In my mind it is unequivocally the best 20 weight oil available for the price.

I think those are all fair points. SP may or may not have brought any changes, but without any 3rd party testing (or Valvoline providing the exact NOACK information), it is difficult to conclude that this oil is superior to its competitors. I only chose PP because it was on sale at Walmart for $18.XX/jug.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I too just purchased a 2019 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi but am leaning toward using Valvoline. I'm surprised the new Valvoline Advanced Synthetic doesn't get noticed much around here.. Based on the VOAs attached, it looks to have almost as much Moly as PP and then outshines it in every other additive (Zinc, Boron, Titanium etc). Although these were for 5w30, I can't imagine it'd be too far off from the 5w20 formulation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w20 is actually better. I don't know if the formulation has changed much with API SP and GF6 standards but the SN PLUS variation of this oil had a 7.6 NOACK value which among 20 weight oils is only matched by Ravenol.

Personally I am of the opinion that NOACK calculation has changed with SP and GF6 and there may be little (or even perhaps nothing) that has changed with this specific oil's formulation. In my mind it is unequivocally the best 20 weight oil available for the price.

I think those are all fair points. SP may or may not have brought any changes, but without any 3rd party testing (or Valvoline providing the exact NOACK information), it is difficult to conclude that this oil is superior to its competitors. I only chose PP because it was on sale at Walmart for $18.XX/jug.

I bought Valvoline Advance Full Synthetic with Maxlife for 11.00 5w20 SP6 so that will be my next oil change.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well, I am still buying up the highly rated SN PLUS version of Valvoline Synthetic 5w20 while it is out there and available. In fact I have yet to see any API SP or GF6 oils in my area, I don't need'em and I don't really even want'em while I can get something I know is great for cheap.

Oh no, a oil that won't meet a spec.....a Chrysler spec at that......but some of these oils used by porche, Ferrari, Lamborghini,etc. Just like redline omg it didn't pay to have a number on its bottles yet better than 3/4 of the oils you guys need to buy for 99 cents qt in your new 50 g vehicle. Kills me, as I've stated before I'll go with the more expensive oil that has the good additives still in it, not being removed. Regardless of approval. And I'd love for any of you to tell me of a case of warranty denied due to this unless you were a idiot and told them. What they are going to send it to lab only to find it's 10 times better than the bulk junk they put in your truck at dealership.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

The truck calls for a MS-6395 compliant 5W-20. If I am to deviate from this spec, there needs to be a compelling reason for it. Schaeffer's/Redline/Amsoil/Mobil 1 are not MS-6395 compliant.

Baloney

All-3 that I mentioned yesterday ....(Amsoil / Schaeffer /Red Line) are MS-6395 compliant in 5w20
The Mobil-1 EP in 5w20 meets the strictest gasoline specs of GM dexos1:GEN2 Licensed, yet No MOPAR approvals are listed at Mobil's website. That's bizarre.

So no MOPAR engine using 5w20 should use Mobil-1 EP?. Is that because Exxon-Mobil refused to pay a king's ransom for the official MOPAR approval rating? ..........Sounds like it to me. We've seen this happen before in the industry.
Mobil-1 EP is a much better oil than some on the MOPAR Approval list and already has passed the strictest spec...... Dexos..

Mobil=1 EP lovers should boycott buying Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi pickups.

Mobil didn't pursue any of the FCA approvals for their Mobil 1 product line after they had their factory and service fill contract pulled out from beneath them when FIAT bought Chrysler and FIAT already had a contract with SOPUS.

Same goes with Bmw approvals.... Maybe Exxonmobil have some contract with Shell since they buy their GTL base oil from them.

On my third Ram 1500 and Hemi Engine (2019 North Edition 4x4) and it gets Havoline ProDS 5w-20 or 5w-30 every 5000 miles. Order the 6 qt box from Wally World for $18 a box delivered to closest store for free. Have never had any engine issues and it's MS-6395 compliant.
Run the same oil in wife's Hyundai Santa Fe.

Last edited:
I think the key here is just change your oil with your favorite brand that is MS-6395 compliant every 5k while under warranty and save some money. I've used boutique oils in the past with regular maintenance and still had a lifter failure in my 14 Denali at 70k miles. There's only so much oil can do to prevent design flaws. Not worth the additional time and money spent to get those vs something off the shelf at Walmart that is just as good for regular intervals.

I think the key here is just change your oil with your favorite brand that is MS-6395 compliant every 5k while under warranty and save some money. I've used boutique oils in the past with regular maintenance and still had a lifter failure in my 14 Denali at 70k miles. There's only so much oil can do to prevent design flaws. Not worth the additional time and money spent to get those vs something off the shelf at Walmart that is just as good for regular intervals.

Couldn't agree more.

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
I would just use the spec'd Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 for the warranty period at least, and buy lots of it now as it's $18.85 at Walmart and on Amazon. It's just over $16 for a jug if you buy in bulk...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-5W20-Full-Synthetic-Platinum-Motor-Oil-5-qt/35930940

^Ultra PP also meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec...

That's exactly what my plan is.

It's all about money from the "specs" Mopar wants. Wife's 2019 Charger SXT 3.6. Mobil1 0W20 "NOT" approved. BUT!!!!! Mobil Super Synthetic 0W20 is !!! You can't tell me that the "Super" is better than the Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by oldhp
It's all about money from the "specs" Mopar wants. Wife's 2019 Charger SXT 3.6. Mobil1 0W20 "NOT" approved. BUT!!!!! Mobil Super Synthetic 0W20 is !!! You can't tell me that the "Super" is better than the Mobil 1.

Again, Mobil has chosen to not pursue any of the FCA approvals for the Mobil 1 product line and it has been that way since they had the factory and service fill contract pulled out from beneath them when FIAT bought Chrysler and replaced them with SOPUS. It has nothing to do with the cost and I expect the FCA approvals are very inexpensive.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by oldhp

Again, Mobil has chosen to not pursue any of the FCA approvals for the Mobil 1 product line and it has been that way since they had the factory and service fill contract pulled out from beneath them when FIAT bought Chrysler and replaced them with SOPUS. It has nothing to do with the cost and I expect the FCA approvals are very inexpensive.

Post Of The Day and it's only 9:28AM.

Yeah … and I'm loaded to the top with clearance oils like M1 AP, RGT, VME, and M1 T/S … so whatever is on the end of my shelves is plenty good oil for a 3.6L N/A (mild, not wild) engine …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah … and I'm loaded to the top with clearance oils like M1 AP, RGT, VME, and M1 T/S … so whatever is on the end of my shelves is plenty good oil for a 3.6L N/A (mild, not wild) engine …

Yup, I stocked up on M1 EP 0w-20 when it was on sale and still have a few OCI's left. Will snag some more when I can. I expect we'll be sticking with it in the truck for the sake of consistency, but you are 100% correct that any major that's on sale is likely sufficient, as the FCA spec's are not demanding.

"Mobil didn't pursue any of the FCA approvals for their Mobil 1 product line after they had their factory and service fill contract pulled out from beneath them when FIAT bought Chrysler and FIAT already had a contract with SOPUS."

I heard people say the above quote before but it sounds fishy, Did "Mobil 1" ever have the Chrysler MS-6395 approval? Maybe on their Super line or Mobil branded conventional line but I dont recall it ever on "Mobil 1", and what's even sillier is even if they are mad why not get the Chrysler MS-6395 certification on "Mobil 1"and sell more oil making more money so who cares about hurt feelings.

Originally Posted by Toto

"Mobil didn't pursue any of the FCA approvals for their Mobil 1 product line after they had their factory and service fill contract pulled out from beneath them when FIAT bought Chrysler and FIAT already had a contract with SOPUS."

I heard people say the above quote before but it sounds fishy, Did "Mobil 1" ever have the Chrysler MS-6395 approval? Maybe on their Super line or Mobil branded conventional line but I dont recall it ever on "Mobil 1", and what's even sillier is even if they are mad why not get the Chrysler MS-6395 certification on "Mobil 1"and sell more oil making more money so who cares about hurt feelings.

You might want to think about that statement for a second. If Mobil 1 was both the factory and service fill for numerous Chrysler vehicles, do you perhaps think they might have been approved for that application?
smirk.gif

There's nothing fishy about it. Mobil had the contract with Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Plymouth during the Mercedes period and during the Cerberus period. Every SRT vehicle came with a pan full of Mobil 1 0w-40, every SRT vehicle was serviced with Mobil 1 0w-40. The dealerships were stocked with Mobil and Mobil 1 product and the 0w-40 was even used on the Sprinter vans. When FIAT purchased the package during the bankruptcy to form FCA, FIAT, who already had a relationship with SOPUS, cut the ties with Mobil almost overnight. They also re-numbered the approvals so that, at the time, the only 0w-40 to carry the appropriate SRT approval was the new "SRT 0w-40" and the approval carried by Mobil 1 0w-40 no longer applied, and was of course dropped.

Mobil has not approved a single Mobil 1 product against an FCA MS spec since, but they continue to maintain them on the lower tier product lines like Mobil Super.

I have a bottle of SM vintage M1 0w-40 in front of me which still has the (obsolete) Chrysler MS-10850 approval on it. This spec was replaced by MS-12633 when FIAT took over.

I said did any weight "Mobil 1" oil bottle ever state Chrysler MS-6395 approved not Chrysler MS-10850! I'm well aware Mobil was the factory fill at one time, I'm not disputing that.

Back