Trans replacement '04 Toyota Avalon - options?

My work had a dodge truck eat trannies. Turns out it was a check valve in the cooler line not opening fully, and burning them up.

May want to check the rest of the car out while you have it apart. May want to go to the best tranny shop in town.

Originally Posted by eljefino
My work had a dodge truck eat trannies. Turns out it was a check valve in the cooler line not opening fully, and burning them up.

Very common on Dodge trucks.

There aren't many FWD Transaxle units more robust & reliable than an Aisin A541E, Wrecking yard unit!! Or you can probably find a JDM one for $700-$750.

A541E's aren't exactly hot sellers because the failure rate is so low.

If option A is a Jasper remanufactured unit... I'd rather walk. Or.. to put it another way, YOU'LL be walking.

Horrible quality.

Liking the car makes it worthwhile. Good used unit including TC would be my choice. I also would add an external cooler. Maybe a temp gauge. Having Clinebarger agree gives me the warm fuzzies because I know zero about ATs
grin2.gif

If you plan on keeping the car, I'd go with a warranty.

My parents have a 2008 Focus (my old car). Great little car that keeps going and going...until recently. I drove it and noticed that it was taking a long time to shift gears. I checked the fluid and it was pink and at the right level. I figured that it was just a shift solenoid. I dropped the pan and noticed metal shavings. So, my dad took it to a local transmission shop where they put in a used transmission. The car had about 157k at that point. The install only came with a 90 day warranty. Fast forward 4-6 months, I was changing the oil and noticed that the transmission was leaking at the spot between the transmission and engine. I noticed that the original setup had RTV in this location whereas this does not. Long story short, stick with a place that has a good warranty.

Option C - ask the shop to at least warranty the unit for 30 days in case they get a dud.

You can do this twice for the cost of option A.

I'd have to think you could find a transmission shop to rebuild your transmission with a warranty. Who is the rebuilder for option A?

Option C, I highly doubt it'll happen again. And if lightning strikes and it does, you can have it replaced again if need be.

Thanks for the opinions!

I was leaning strongly toward option A....but then changed.

Going with C.

92k used trans from a junkyard plus install from the transmission shop in town. Total should be less than $1500.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Option C. but beware, buying "used" JDM boxes is definitely caveat emptor.

My dad had a shop install a "low miles" JDM tranny into an old Cressida we had. The car was sluggish afterwards. It got better after I adjusted the TV cable but the torque converter was shot.

I bought a used Turbo 400 for my old '73 Fire Chicken, when we rebuilt the '69 400 cu in engine.
The yard told me it was good; it came outta a Grand Prix as I recall.
It was no good; had to have it rebuilt.

I understand this is a different scenario, but this was my experience.
Another time I bought a trans from a Pontiac that was being parted out.
The seller told me he knew nothing about the transmission; it turned out to be strong!

Good luck.

If you're planning on keeping the car then get a new trans. if everything else on the car is fine. I have an 03 Matrix and even if I need to spend $1000 per year to maintain it it's better than $6000 - $7000 in new car payments.

Back