Motorcraft FL820S cut open 2k miles

by the way when I ask around for suggestions on filters to replace the FL810S I get Purolater/No, Purolators are junk, Mobil 1/No, Mobil 1 filters have a new vendor and are cheap, Fram Ultra Synthetic/no, those are problematic, AC Delco E/No, those are cheap, Try WIX/No, those too are new vendor and cheap...so what is the answer???

Bill

Originally Posted by silversport
by the way when I ask around for suggestions on filters to replace the FL810S I get Purolater/No, Purolators are junk, Mobil 1/No, Mobil 1 filters have a new vendor and are cheap, Fram Ultra Synthetic/no, those are problematic, AC Delco E/No, those are cheap, Try WIX/No, those too are new vendor and cheap...so what is the answer???

Bill

I hope the answer, or at least is a decent substitute, is Bosch distance plus. I found a bunch at wallymart for $1 each in the clearance isle.

where is any data on failed FL820s causing any issues with any engine...I have asked this before and I get that a Ford tech says torn filters can cause issues...so can putting diesel fuel in a truck meant to run gasoline...where are all these engine failures that can be attributed to these cheap FL820s filters???...

I am active of Ford F150 forums that have countless members who use the Ford recommended FL820s filters and have never read of one example of an engine issue that was traced to using this FL820s filter...further, several mechanics who make their living on Fords still recommend this filter and I doubt it's because it gets them business...don't you think the story would be out by now if this filter caused issues with vehicles designed to use them???

Bill

LoL ... then put some diesel in the gasoline tank. For the "fans", it's come down to "show me all the blown up engines caused by a filter tearing" before they can see the logic of why using filters that tear isn't the best decision in the world just because it has a certain brand name and model number printed on the can.

I hope the thread migration is not pointed at me (and I'm not saying you did) as I just responded to posts already on this thread and others like it...I did ask of any issues with engines designed to use them...I haven't seen evidence of that...

Just the fact that the Ford Tech Talk video specifically addresses that torn filter media can cause issues by clogging VCT screens would be enough for me to no use filters with known tearing issues. Ford saying that torn media can come loose and go into the engine's oiling system should perk up Ford owner's ears, because where it goes and what is does after that is anyone's guess.

Fram Ultra Synthetic/no, those are problematic ...

Do tell how ... I'm really curious about that.

Purolater/No, Purolators are junk ...

Why? ... because the media can tear?

Try WIX/No, those too are new vendor and cheap...

I wouldn't agree ... a "new vendor"? - details please. The WIX are pretty decent if you want around the Motorcraft level of filtering efficiency. Only rare issue seen with some are they may leak at the base crimp. But hey, it still won't blow up an engine - that's what the WIX fans say, lol. Maybe Motorcraft should get a new vendor besides Purolator.
grin2.gif

When people buy something cheap and local it is a value to them even if it is total crap.
This is the new world thinking. Crap is crap.
So I can buy a FL 820s for under $4 retail its my go to filter on a $75K F350.
I think not.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
IF It were to happen to his engine, it would be the VERY 1st failure from an 820S.
All l see is a few arm chair QB's just being in denial (not the river in Egypt)

Have you verified that every engine in the world hasn't had an issue from a failed oil filter, any brand? 820S are filters that fail, so pose the same risk as any other filter that fails. Even Ford Tech Talk video says a torn oil filter can cause problems to Ford engines, and show why. I'm sure you've seen that video posted here a few times.

Would you use any brand of filter besides Motorcraft if you knew they have a tendency to fail?

Some watch videos, I have used the filter.

No failures in 300,000 miles on my application, where's your application? Or you just throwing info, and videos around with no proof of an engine failure yet?

Like I said, no recalls on this filter either so far as I'm concerned this topic is not worth discussing anymore.

You think Ford is blowing smoke about torn media? Now people want proof that engines blow-up from torn media, otherwise it's just fine for media to tear and potentially send pieces of media into the engine, lol. People can use what ever they want, it's not my vehicle.
grin2.gif
Just funny how some people look at stuff - gotta have a major disaster to make them see the whole picture.

Look carefully at time 0:54.

I couldn't find any words saying torn filter media causes problems in the video. I think they mean media migration, which could be happening with a perfectly untorn filter of questionable origins. USCar 36 tests for media migration. I see lots of filters on here with what looks like fuzzy fibers sticking up all over. If they are glass fibers shedding that's worse than paper fibers shedding. I also saw the 820s he is turning in his hand looks nice until it gets to the wide pleat which has been the curse of this filter. Unless many torn are counterfeits, another unknown. Should keep you busy a few minutes correcting the narrative to your liking.

What's that look like at time 0:54 (notice the bare metal center tube through torn media) when they talk about a "deteriorating oil filter" (ie, torn media) clogging up VCT screens. The "blindness" never ceases to amaze.
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

What's that look like at time 0:54 (notice the bare metal center tube through torn media) when they talk about a "deteriorating oil filter" (ie, torn media) clogging up VCT screens. The "blindness" never ceases to amaze.
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

Oh I saw that all right. Let's hope someone doesn't think that filter is a ripped open MC. I said can't find the torn media, and still don't. As in "says." Maybe a graph can make it true? This must be for fun.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by bbhero
Ray Charles assessment ability
lol.gif

Exactly, lol ... guess there's a first for everything.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
lol.gif

[Linked Image]

Oh I saw that all right. Let's hope someone doesn't think that filter is a ripped open MC. I said can't find the torn media, and still don't. As in "says." Maybe a graph can make it true? This must be for fun.
laugh.gif

Just keep trolling away, Ray ... lol.

lol.gif

[Linked Image]

laugh.gif

Ray isn't trolling. I chose my words well. I can repeat I see no words about torn media in the video. I said words for reason because Moses said they "say" in the video. No they don't say. Not only that the wide open bottom of the pleat is not the same as a tear at the pleat base where there essentially no other destruction except the tear. I do think there was a Fram Ultra shown here once with the entire pleat bottom missing syndrome. Now that was like the picture in the video. That would a good one to talk about.
cheers3.gif

lol.gif

[Linked Image]

laugh.gif

All filter manufacturers produce some filter sthat fail. Yes all. That's is the reason I always change my filter with every OCI. Yes if you cut one open after its been on for 3 OCI's and it has a tare. Well did it happen 100 miles after you installed it or 100 miles ago?

Last edited:
Not only that the wide open bottom of the pleat is not the same as a tear at the pleat base where there essentially no other destruction except the tear.

Let me get this straight, so a tear at the bottom of a pleat is not the same as a tear at the pleat base. A tear is a tear ... and Ford Tech is saying any "destruction" of the filter (which would include torn media) can cause issues in the motor. Critical thinking seems to be a quickly fleeting thing these days.

Not only that the wide open bottom of the pleat is not the same as a tear at the pleat base where there essentially no other destruction except the tear.

Let me get this straight, so a tear at the bottom of a pleat is not the same as a tear at the pleat base. A tear is a tear ... and Ford Tech is saying any "destruction" of the filter (which would include torn media) can cause issues in the motor. Critical thinking seems to be a quickly fleeting thing these days.

If only the seam comes loose in a very small area, then no fibers running around the engine type-issue? A small opening then increases flow?

This has been going on for almost 10 years. Purolator doing nothing to fix the issue. So to them, it's really no issue. Is there thousands of documented cases where engines were replaced or repaired, due to fibers flying around the engine and creating harm?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

If only the seam comes loose in a very small area, then no fibers running around the engine type-issue? A small opening then increases flow?

This has been going on for almost 10 years. Purolator doing nothing to fix the issue. So to them, it's really no issue. Is there thousands of documented cases where engines were replaced or repaired, due to fibers flying around the engine and creating harm?

That shot from the video is a huge tear almost the whole length of a pleat. Any tear is going to leave ragged edges, which means media fibers can be broken loose from those edges by oil flow and then do down stream. Like discussed in the video, those fibers can be caught by the fine screens inside the engine and choke down the flow to the VCT system. Small fibers like that are not going to "blow-up" and engine (the "new standard" on determining if a product should be used or not, lol), but who knows if critical oil flow is choked down, anything could happen after that.

We all know Purolator doesn't care if their filters tear or not. When the media tearing issue really surfaced with Purolator built filters back in 2014 and went on at a pretty good level for a couple of years, they never admitted there was ever a "problem" - instead they blamed it on people hording and using old filters (deflection tactic) and "revamped" the filter line. Can you imagine the reaction from people who where Purolator die-hards if the company themselves came out and admitted they had problems? Companies keep silent in situations like that, and try let it slowly die off. But, since a lot of people cut and post oil filters here it's hard for it to totally disappear.

Why would Ford Tech even bring up the issue if it wasn't something that can cause engine issues? This must be the dawning of the "Age of Obtuseness" for those who keep thinking torn oil filters are some kind of normal mode of operation because the engine didn't blow-up, lol

This must be the dawning of the "Age of Obtuseness" for those who keep thinking torn oil filters are some kind of normal mode of operation because the engine didn't blow-up, lol

01.gif

Back