Forums Migration

Please read this thread

Recent Topics
High Flow Thermostats
by Nick1994 - 07/12/20 02:51 AM
Hy-per Lube ZDDP Supplement 6pk $13.00
by alchargo - 07/11/20 10:38 PM
97 Civic HX valve cover pics
by CARJ - 07/11/20 10:22 PM
Time to ditch Speedplays
by UG_Passat - 07/11/20 10:03 PM
Dale L Nuzum
by Dalenuzum - 07/11/20 10:02 PM
*BANG* (Garage Door Spring)
by ctechbob - 07/11/20 09:40 PM
TPMS Sensors
by 92saturnsl2 - 07/11/20 09:16 PM
Chevron Delo 400 XSP 5W-30 XSP
by Gene K - 07/11/20 08:48 PM
LED retrofit for recessed can lights
by Donald - 07/11/20 07:08 PM
PP HM 5W-20 $15 at Wally
by Jackson_Slugger - 07/11/20 07:03 PM
Defeated by roll pin
by bcossa2001 - 07/11/20 06:56 PM
Dexron VI in place of Mercon LV?
by BigLee - 07/11/20 06:50 PM
89 c4 oil
by dogememe - 07/11/20 06:17 PM
Noticed the Titanium info.
by Farnsworth - 07/11/20 06:16 PM
FebiBilstein Parts
by willbur - 07/11/20 06:03 PM
Life goes on
by 53' Stude - 07/11/20 06:02 PM
Lubegard in a GM transfer case?
by BlakeB - 07/11/20 05:21 PM
Is MSO2 Liquid Moly OK in DIG NA engines
by JimPghPA - 07/11/20 03:10 PM
Rider Magazine Question
by Smoky14 - 07/11/20 02:38 PM
Newest Members
cadillactech, ILoveOil111, quantalume, SUmeme22, DaveCaddell
71910 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (Ausfahrt, blufeb95, Danimal1q2w3, carviewsonic, celicaxx, 5 invisible), 575 guests, and 27 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics307,747
Posts5,316,936
Members71,910
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? #5466080 06/30/20 06:27 AM
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 51
V
viscous Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 51
What are the current "levels" of Bosch oil filters? Someone expressed the following equivalencies, but I'm not sure the information is still current. Are the Bosch filters exactly the same as Purolators on the inside?

Bosch Premium = Purolator "Classic"
Bosch Distance Plus = PurolatorONE
Bosch Long Life = PurolatorBOSS

Also, is a Bosch 3311 any better than SuperTech ST4386?

Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: viscous] #5466105 06/30/20 07:04 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,465
B
Bottom_Feeder Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,465
Unless things have changed recently (and I admit I haven't been keeping up on it)

Bosch Workshop = Purolator "Classic"
Bosch Premium = PurolatorONE
Bosch Long Life = PurolatorBOSS
Bosch Distance Plus = no Purolator equivalent

Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: viscous] #5466107 06/30/20 07:05 AM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,469
B
bullwinkle Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,469
Actually Bosch Premium=Puro One
Bosch D+ really has no Pure equivalent
Bosch Workshop=Puro Classic
Bosch LL=Puro Synthetic/Boss
I would consider a 3311 somewhat stronger (standard bypass) than a ST4386 with it's combo valve, I've never been a fan of those.


06 Ram 3500 CTD 4X4(FG Venturi), 89 F-450 7.3, 98 XJ 4.0(XG8A), 05 xB(XG3600), 18 Transit 3.7 (MC), 03 Merc Grand Marquis 4.6 2V(XG2), 11 Express 3500 6.0 (Fram PH10060 for now)
Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: viscous] #5466286 06/30/20 11:27 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,465
B
Bottom_Feeder Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,465
Just to clarify and expand on that a bit, this refers to filter media only. There are some differences between Bosch and Purolator models as far as gasket and ADBV materials go.

Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: bullwinkle] #5466540 06/30/20 05:36 PM
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 51
V
viscous Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Actually Bosch Premium=Puro One

So then the "basic" (not counting "Workshop") Bosch Premium is a well-respected filter, no?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I would consider a 3311 somewhat stronger (standard bypass) than a ST4386 with it's combo valve, I've never been a fan of those

Wasn't aware that ST4386 had a combo valve. Unfortunately, I saw somewhere that the Bosch 3311 has a 14-18 PSI bypass setting. This is significantly higher than the 8-11 PSI bypass called for on a particular application (riding mower), and I'm worried about using it for that reason. Can anyone verify the bypass setting of Bosch Premium 3311?

Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: viscous] #5466573 06/30/20 06:29 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 24,014
Z
ZeeOSix Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 24,014
Originally Posted by viscous
Wasn't aware that ST4386 had a combo valve. Unfortunately, I saw somewhere that the Bosch 3311 has a 14-18 PSI bypass setting. This is significantly higher than the 8-11 PSI bypass called for on a particular application (riding mower), and I'm worried about using it for that reason. Can anyone verify the bypass setting of Bosch Premium 3311?


Does the ST4386 and Bosch 3311 directly cross-over for the same applications? Bypass valve setting is also dependent on the filter design, and if you take 10 different filter brands/models specified for the same exact application, they will not all have the same bypass valve setting.

Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: ZeeOSix] #5466742 07/01/20 12:19 AM
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 51
V
viscous Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Does the ST4386 and Bosch 3311 directly cross-over for the same applications? Bypass valve setting is also dependent on the filter design, and if you take 10 different filter brands/models specified for the same exact application, they will not all have the same bypass valve setting.

No, neither filter is explicitly specified by its manufacturer for the application at hand. However, both filters are spin-on oil filters with the same threads and are about the same length. They both have ADBV and a bypass valve, although the bypass settings seem to differ. I'd like someone to verify the bypass PSI of the Bosch Premium 3311, as I only saw "14-18 PSI" on a 3rd party site, not directly from Bosch. Good point about bypass setting depending on filter design. I guess there's no way to compare the bypass performance of two different filters unless both are explicitly specified for the same application.

How likely is it that the bypass performance of the Bosch Premium 3311 is equivalent to that of Fram PH4386 or SuperTech ST4386 even though the bypass setting of the Bosch appears to be higher?

Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: viscous] #5466745 07/01/20 12:35 AM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 24,014
Z
ZeeOSix Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 24,014
Originally Posted by viscous
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Does the ST4386 and Bosch 3311 directly cross-over for the same applications? Bypass valve setting is also dependent on the filter design, and if you take 10 different filter brands/models specified for the same exact application, they will not all have the same bypass valve setting.

No, neither filter is explicitly specified by its manufacturer for the application at hand. However, both filters are spin-on oil filters with the same threads and are about the same length. They both have ADBV and a bypass valve, although the bypass settings seem to differ. I'd like someone to verify the bypass PSI of the Bosch Premium 3311, as I only saw "14-18 PSI" on a 3rd party site, not directly from Bosch. Good point about bypass setting depending on filter design. I guess there's no way to compare the bypass performance of two different filters unless both are explicitly specified for the same application.

How likely is it that the bypass performance of the Bosch Premium 3311 is equivalent to that of Fram PH4386 or SuperTech ST4386 even though the bypass setting of the Bosch appears to be higher?


So using Fram's website, it shows that the ST4386 and the Bosch 3311 both cross over to the same Fram PH4396. So that means they are a direct cross over filters no matter the application is - car, truck, garden tractor, etc. Also, any other filter brand that directly crosses over to these three filters will work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]



Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: ZeeOSix] #5466787 07/01/20 06:09 AM
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 51
V
viscous Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
So using Fram's website, it shows that the ST4386 and the Bosch 3311 both cross over to the same Fram PH4396. So that means they are a direct cross over filters no matter the application is - car, truck, garden tractor, etc. Also, any other filter brand that directly crosses over to these three filters will work.

Thanks, that looks promising. However, can we be sure that Fram isn't just saying "Oh sure, just use our filter instead of that SuperTech or Bosch...it'll be fine..." without really caring about bypass specification, etc.? Maybe Fram doesn't have an exact match for either, so they recommend their closest option. Despite differences in filter design, I'm concerned, because the Fram PH4386 has a bypass specification of 14, which I assume is the midpoint (is this accurate?) of the bypass valve range. For the Bosch, I've seen 14-18 PSI, so it looks like 14 may be where the bypass valve starts to open. Are these different bypass settings just attributable to filter design, but yet yield the same performance?

Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: viscous] #5467031 07/01/20 11:53 AM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 24,014
Z
ZeeOSix Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 24,014
Originally Posted by viscous
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
So using Fram's website, it shows that the ST4386 and the Bosch 3311 both cross over to the same Fram PH4396. So that means they are a direct cross over filters no matter the application is - car, truck, garden tractor, etc. Also, any other filter brand that directly crosses over to these three filters will work.

Thanks, that looks promising. However, can we be sure that Fram isn't just saying "Oh sure, just use our filter instead of that SuperTech or Bosch...it'll be fine..." without really caring about bypass specification, etc.? Maybe Fram doesn't have an exact match for either, so they recommend their closest option. Despite differences in filter design, I'm concerned, because the Fram PH4386 has a bypass specification of 14, which I assume is the midpoint (is this accurate?) of the bypass valve range. For the Bosch, I've seen 14-18 PSI, so it looks like 14 may be where the bypass valve starts to open. Are these different bypass settings just attributable to filter design, but yet yield the same performance?


Like I said, you can take 10 different oil filter brands for the same exact application and they will not all have the same exact bypass setting. I'm sure the Fram engineers have specified their filters with some thought, not by using a dart board. Go run your application through Fram's filter finder and see what it recommends. Of course it might have a slightly different bypass setting because it will be a different filter than the ones you are looking at.

You're way over thinking it. If you can't trust a company that's been making and selling filters for decades, don't who you're going to trust. grin

Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: viscous] #5467358 07/01/20 06:36 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,469
B
bullwinkle Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,469
Originally Posted by viscous
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Actually Bosch Premium=Puro One

So then the "basic" (not counting "Workshop") Bosch Premium is a well-respected filter, no?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I would consider a 3311 somewhat stronger (standard bypass) than a ST4386 with it's combo valve, I've never been a fan of those

Wasn't aware that ST4386 had a combo valve. Unfortunately, I saw somewhere that the Bosch 3311 has a 14-18 PSI bypass setting. This is significantly higher than the 8-11 PSI bypass called for on a particular application (riding mower), and I'm worried about using it for that reason. Can anyone verify the bypass setting of Bosch Premium 3311?

The Bosch Premium, just like it's Purolator (Pure)ONE cousin, has shown a penchant for occasional media tears & cut ADBVs from non-deburred baseplates. The Bosch filters are OK, but (IMO) generally somewhat overpriced for what they are. Amazon has them for $8.39, which puts them close to Ultra price range. Bypass looks to be 14-18 PSI.


06 Ram 3500 CTD 4X4(FG Venturi), 89 F-450 7.3, 98 XJ 4.0(XG8A), 05 xB(XG3600), 18 Transit 3.7 (MC), 03 Merc Grand Marquis 4.6 2V(XG2), 11 Express 3500 6.0 (Fram PH10060 for now)
Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: bullwinkle] #5467553 07/02/20 02:01 AM
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 51
V
viscous Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 51
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
The Bosch Premium, just like it's Purolator (Pure)ONE cousin, has shown a penchant for occasional media tears & cut ADBVs from non-deburred baseplates. The Bosch filters are OK, but (IMO) generally somewhat overpriced for what they are. Amazon has them for $8.39, which puts them close to Ultra price range. Bypass looks to be 14-18 PSI.

Thanks for the bypass confirmation. I recently saw some other references to the media tears. Is it safe to assume that a riding mower, my intended application, would not supply the pressure necessary to tear the media? Or could it happen on a cold start in that application? Would you say that Motorcraft or SuperTech are superior to Bosch/Purolator due to the media tear issues?

Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: viscous] #5467626 07/02/20 07:33 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,674
7
77Se7en Offline
Offline
7
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,674
So Bosch Premium similar to Fram Toughguard / Wix and Bosch Distance+ similar to Fram Ultra?


Spiritual Intuitive / Whisperer-Medium (Involuntary & Non-Profit)
Valvoline ME, Mobil-1 EP & Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30s








Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: viscous] #5467865 07/02/20 12:42 PM
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 24,014
Z
ZeeOSix Offline
Offline
Z
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 24,014
Originally Posted by viscous
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
The Bosch Premium, just like it's Purolator (Pure)ONE cousin, has shown a penchant for occasional media tears & cut ADBVs from non-deburred baseplates. The Bosch filters are OK, but (IMO) generally somewhat overpriced for what they are. Amazon has them for $8.39, which puts them close to Ultra price range. Bypass looks to be 14-18 PSI.

Thanks for the bypass confirmation. I recently saw some other references to the media tears. Is it safe to assume that a riding mower, my intended application, would not supply the pressure necessary to tear the media? Or could it happen on a cold start in that application? Would you say that Motorcraft or SuperTech are superior to Bosch/Purolator due to the media tear issues?


You will never know until you use a filter, then cut it open to look. Why all the struggle looking for an oil filter?

Re: Bosch Equivalent to Purolator? [Re: bullwinkle] #5467906 07/02/20 01:23 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,427
JohnnyJohnson Offline
Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,427
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Originally Posted by viscous
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Actually Bosch Premium=Puro One

So then the "basic" (not counting "Workshop") Bosch Premium is a well-respected filter, no?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I would consider a 3311 somewhat stronger (standard bypass) than a ST4386 with it's combo valve, I've never been a fan of those

Wasn't aware that ST4386 had a combo valve. Unfortunately, I saw somewhere that the Bosch 3311 has a 14-18 PSI bypass setting. This is significantly higher than the 8-11 PSI bypass called for on a particular application (riding mower), and I'm worried about using it for that reason. Can anyone verify the bypass setting of Bosch Premium 3311?

The Bosch Premium, just like it's Purolator (Pure)ONE cousin, has shown a penchant for occasional media tears & cut ADBVs from non-deburred baseplates. The Bosch filters are OK, but (IMO) generally somewhat overpriced for what they are. Amazon has them for $8.39, which puts them close to Ultra price range. Bypass looks to be 14-18 PSI.


I don't know were you are shopping for those Bosch Premiums but the last ones I bought were cheaper $4.04 each. Used and cut several of them no rips, no tares, no errors. In fact I've been using the Purolator's since before 2010 and yet not one with a tare? Not saying it doesn't happen but all filter makers have Tare O Lators.

Last edited by JohnnyJohnson; 07/02/20 01:30 PM.

2004 Corolla 140744
Out: Pennzoil Platinum HM 5W-20 ST 4386
In: Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic 5W-30 Purolator PureONE
2006 Duramax 77117
Out: T6 5W-40 XG9100 73909
In: Rotella Dino PH9100 11-3-19
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™