2014 Mercedes-Benz OM651 // 10,000 mi // Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30

Great engine IMO, and a great oil that's easily accessible as well as excellent value. Our Bluetec is pushing past 122K miles and I expect another 120K out of it.

Currently running PP Euro L in our other diesel but may just convert both to PP Euro L for simplicity's sake.

Happy dieseling!

Originally Posted by andreigbs
Great engine IMO, and a great oil that's easily accessible as well as excellent value. Our Bluetec is pushing past 122K miles and I expect another 120K out of it.

Currently running PP Euro L in our other diesel but may just convert both to PP Euro L for simplicity's sake.

Happy dieseling!

I have to ask ,how does one expect another xxx miles from an engine?

Happy dieseling!

Agreed! Yes, there's a lot to be said for simplifying and streamlining maintenance. How do you enjoy the X3 compared to the GLK?

Happy dieseling!

Thats why we do UOAs, they can tell you much about the engine, if the engine has a decent oil analysis and you look at the history of a certain engine design and use that data it is a safe bet to say that if the engine is in great shape at 122k miles, then you likely can expect another 120k miles out of it.

Now if you pull a sample at 120k miles and it has some questionable values And/Or the engine is not known for its longevity, you could surmise that you may not get another 120k miles out of it.

Certain Ford powerstrokes come to mind. Very unlikely to get 200k on one of those in stock form. We have a vehicles with 6.4 powerstrokes at work and once they hit 100k miles its seems like anyday they will have some kind of major issue. The 6.0s were just as bad.

Looks like attachments in posts have disappeared. Re-attaching here unless there's a better way.
PPEL5W30.jpg

I've been a bit MIA here, as work has kept me quite busy.

Easy: based on how well it has run during the previous X miles, except for a catastrophic failure, I expect it to run another X miles. I'm sure wear is occurring, as with all engines, but in my experience the rate of wear in diesels tends to taper off as the miles increase.

How do you enjoy the X3 compared to the GLK?
I'm enjoying it immensely. Both are now tuned, pushing 250hp and 450 ft-lbs tq, returning mid-30s mpg, and have not given me any trouble. The X3d feels much lighter on its feet and agile, better balanced, better gearing and better fuel economy. The engine runs beautifully, very quiet for a diesel (probably due to the aluminum block) and since it's the lower mileage vehicle of the 2 we have, I tend to drive it everywhere.

I just threw out the RFT Pirellis that were unevenly worn and badly out of round with Kumho Ecsta PA51 non-RFT and I have to say, what a difference in comfort and handling. I ditched the RFTs on the GLK long ago, was determined to do the same for the X3d. I'm not worried about flats, as I have AAA and BMW Roadside.

@mosschops, that is an excellent UOA. I plan to switch the Bluetec over to PP Euro L as well, next change. All I need to do is buy a filter pack.

Back