2012 Honda Accord Oil

Recently bought a pristine 2012 Honda Accord with 75000 miles. It came from a friend who's also a dealer, so I've got no service records. Carried it to a store I trust for its first service under my care, and to have it checked out.

Everything checked out good, but I need recommendations on the motor oil and automatic transmission service. This is my first Japanese car, and I'd like it to last another 10 years.

Use whatever oil and trans fluid is recommended in the owner's manual. I think it's 0w20. If you don't have the manual, you can look it up online. Only use Honda ATF. some have had good success, but some not, with Maxlife. OCI every 5k miles with a good filter. Wix or even OEM. Trans drain and refill every 30k miles or so. No flush. If you do maintenance drain-fill there's no need to flush or exchange the ATF.

Last edited:
Nice buy! Those Accords are solid little cars.

For oil and filter, cheapest SN or higher rated xx-20 synthetic you can get, change according to OLM. Supertech from Walmart will work well. Use a Fram Ultra filter and replace it every 2-3 oil changes, or the cheapest one available and change it every time if it it more cost effective.

Does your car have the CVT? If so, use whatever your owner's manual recommends for CVT fliud. If it's just the regular auto, drain and fill with MaxLife ATF now and again every 50k.

This maintenance and nothing more will keep that car going much longer than you'll want to drive it
wink.gif

If it is the V6, be vigilant about the transmission and changing the fluid regularly. It will also have a timing belt if it is a V6 and be sure to change that per the manual's recommendation.

If it is the 4-cylinder, which I strongly prefer, it will have the bulletproof K24 engine. Timing chain, so no need to worry about replacing a belt routinely. Very easy on oil and will last forever as long as you change the oil regularly. Mine was changed every 6-9k for its entire life. Once or twice as low as 5k, but usually on the higher end of that mark. The transmissions are also very solid in both manual and automatic form. My 5-speed auto has been changed every 60k with Honda DW-1 (or Z1 when it was still applicable). The CVT came in 2013 and I do not prefer those as I do not believe they will hold up as reliably as the old 5-speeds.

One thing to watch for is some oil consumption. As they get up there in miles, the K24 tends to burn oil. Top it off and it'll run forever.

Per manual it lists 0W20 for all ambient temperatures (although I've used several different viscosities in mine). Fram Tough Guard is my current oil filter. The transmission is super easy to service. It has a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission pan. Drains out three quarts and replace via dipstick tube with three fresh quarts (Honda dealership DW1 is the only one I've used).

I used Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and a Fram Ultra oil filter in mine. I change the oil every 5K / 1 year. The oil filter gets changed every OTHER oil change interval, as recommended by Honda. Doing a transmission fluid drain and fill is super easy on these also, so I change mine every year. Also, coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid should be change also if you don't have the service history. Engine and cabin air filters also.

Google "Honda oil chart". Accords switched to 0W-20 in MY2011. The 2.4L is not hard on oil, any API SN synthetic will suffice. I would monitor for oil consumption since you have no history.

I would use Honda DW-1 for ATF service until you establish a baseline. Typically 3qts out, 3 in on a drain & fill. If you look around you can get it for $8-9/qt. I paid $8.25/qt at the dealer the other day.

You should think about a coolant drain/fill with Type-2 or Valvoline Asian blue since you are at ~ 10 years.

The oil weight in on the oil fill cap; I think it is 0w20. Any quality synthetic will work; I happen to like Mobil1.
I use Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent transmission fluid.

Enjoy your new Accord; they are great cars!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The oil weight in on the oil fill cap; I think it is 0w20. Any quality synthetic will work; I happen to like Mobil1.
I use Idemitsu DW-1 equivalent transmission fluid.

Enjoy your new Accord; they are great cars!

How would you compare the Idemitsu fluid with the oem Honda fluid? How is the shifting,and or any transmission noise vs the Honda oem fluid?

I would change the transmission fluid in accordance with the manual and use Honda DW-1 (Honda transmissions are finicky when it comes to type of fluid). Don't do a flush. I think it's drain and refill 3x driving between changes to mix the new fluid with the old fluid. I have owned several Accords (currently a 2016 Touring) and the non CVT transmissions are simple and it's like changing your oil. I change my transmission every 20,000 miles and skip the 3x drain and refill. I have always used a 0W20 oil that is high in moly. Now you are going to have people talk about the VCM and tell you need to get a VCM Muzzler. Honda had issues with VCM. There are 3 generations of VCM. Your model has VCM-2. The current generation is VCM-3. Me personally, I had considered a VCM Muzzler at one time but after putting 200k+ miles on my last VCM-2 engine with no issues, I felt it wasn't necessary. I have always used use a good synthetic oil and top tier gas on very fill up I'm not talking about higher octane rating i.e. Super unleaded. Top tier gas is a higher detergency gasoline standard than what the government requires and I have never had an issue with VCM-2 and now VCM-3. I am not an engineer and I am just sharing my experience. You will have people try to scare you and say if you don't get a VCM Muzzler you are going to have issues and your engine will blow up. Take it with a grain of salt and do you. There are many people who have had no issues with using a VCM Muzzler but I just have an issue with manipulating coolant temperature and the computer thinking the car has not fully warmed up. Engines are complex and who's to say that that manipulation is not harming things. Again, I am no engineer but the guy who invented the Muzzler supposedly is one and I haven't heard of any issues using a Muzzler at least that I know of. I just never had the issues people are talking about. Not to say there are not any because Honda has had issues with early iterations of VCM. Just do your research and do what will help you sleep at night. I just want to say there are people out there that don't use VCM Muzzlers and have gotten many miles on their vehicle with no issues. My recommendation, use top tier gas and a high quality 0W20 oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Eddddd
I would change the transmission fluid in accordance with the manual and use Honda DW-1 (Honda transmissions are finicky when it comes to type of fluid). Don't do a flush. I think it's drain and refill 3x driving between changes to mix the new fluid with the old fluid. I have owned several Accords (currently a 2016 Touring) and the non CVT transmissions are simple and it's like changing your oil. I change my transmission every 20,000 miles and skip the 3x drain and refill. I have always used a 0W20 oil that is high in moly. Now you are going to have people talk about the VCM and tell you need to get a VCM Muzzler. Honda had issues with VCM. There are 3 generations of VCM. Your model has VCM-2. The current generation is VCM-3. Me personally, I had considered a VCM Muzzler at one time but after putting 200k+ miles on my last VCM-2 engine with no issues, I felt it wasn't necessary. I have always used use a good synthetic oil and top tier gas on very fill up I'm not talking about higher octane rating i.e. Super unleaded. Top tier gas is a higher detergency gasoline standard than what the government requires and I have never had an issue with VCM-2 and now VCM-3. I am not an engineer and I am just sharing my experience. You will have people try to scare you and say if you don't get a VCM Muzzler you are going to have issues and your engine will blow up. Take it with a grain of salt and do you. There are many people who have had no issues with using a VCM Muzzler but I just have an issue with manipulating coolant temperature and the computer thinking the car has not fully warmed up. Engines are complex and who's to say that that manipulation is not harming things. Again, I am no engineer but the guy who invented the Muzzler supposedly is one and I haven't heard of any issues using a Muzzler at least that I know of. I just never had the issues people are talking about. Not to say there are not any because Honda has had issues with early iterations of VCM. Just do your research and do what will help you sleep at night. I just want to say there are people out there that don't use VCM Muzzlers and have gotten many miles on their vehicle with no issues. My recommendation, use top tier gas and a high quality 0W20 oil.

What's your go-to oil choice?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by Eddddd

What's your go-to oil choice?

Amsoil 0W20 on all my vehicles except my 370Z. I use Redline 5W30 for it.

You can use any 0w20 or 5w20 synthetic and I would recommend a Valvoline Synthetic with or without Maxlife. I have used both Valvoline Synthetic 0w20 and 5w20 in my three cars that require either and all like the 5w20 version the best.

Fram Ultra or Fram Titanium is the only oil filter worth considering.

gregk24 said:
I used Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 and a Fram Ultra oil filter in mine. I change the oil every 5K / 1 year. The oil filter gets changed every OTHER oil change interval, as recommended by Honda. Doing a transmission fluid drain and fill is super easy on these also, so I change mine every year. Also, coolant, brake fluid, and power steering fluid should be change also if you don't have the service history. Engine and cabin air filters also.
Agreed!!!
wink.gif

I forgot to add that it has the 2.4 engine. Thanks for all the helpful info!

We had a 2011 Accord SE with the 2.4, and would still be driving it if the wife hadn't wrecked it. Ours ran great on Castrol Edge EP 0w20 with Honda Filters. I'd also use Honda ATF. That car will run forever If taken care of.

I've been using ST 5W/0W-20 for many years in various Honda's - both J-series V6 and K-series 4 Cyl. It's a great oil at a bargain price. I was using the Honda A-01 filter until a year or two ago when they became hard to find. Now I use a Fram TG7317 or Wix 57356 from RockAuto. On all my Honda's I've been religious about the transmission fluid and use only DW1 every 30k or so.

Back