What to look for in cartridge filter?

Bought a vehicle that has a cartridge filter and looking for good replacements as I don't intend to use OEM. Last time I owned a vehicle with a cartridge filter was around 2002 when they first came out (VW VR6 engine) and you only had one or two options... Now I see there's plenty to choose from, all the way from $2 Rockauto Ultrapowers, to $15 brand name ones.

Is price a good indicator of quality? Looking at product photos, some of the cheapie filters look to have more substantial media than the high dollar ones. Are efficiency ratings usually advertised? I can't find anything of value on Rockauto's website that might help me in quest to find a filter with the best bang for buck ratio. What should I be looking for in a good filter? Any certain brands better than others, or are most created equal? I can certainly see there are less variables with these than canister filters; I suppose it all boils down to the filter media they use, is what I assume. The application is a Kia/Hyundai 3.3L V6 GDI engine.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Are efficiency ratings usually advertised?

If filter efficiency rating is important, then only look at filters that have an ISO 4845-12 efficiency rating.

... Any certain brands better than others, or are most created equal? I can certainly see there are less variables with these than canister filters; I suppose it all boils down to the filter media they use, is what I assume. ...
That's right. Essentially you want the same characteristics you'd want in the media pack of a canister filter. Price is not necessarily proportionate to quality; I've seen some expensive mediocre ones in the size I use (not the same as yours), and well-made moderately priced ones. One not-so-obvious point to watch is that they have proper dimensions and geometry so they fit in your housing without collapsing or bypassing oil around the ends.

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
FRAM is fine. EG TG or XG your chioce.

I am a big fan of Fram spin on can oil filters but truthfully their cartridge oil filters are not something I would consider using, too many issues reported.

For my Mercedes engine I would normally get a Mahle filter from Blauparts, recently I used a K&N filter and thought it held up very well. Mahle (or maybe Mann) will likely have the highest efficiency or at least higher than K&N.

Originally Posted by Danno
Why not use OEM filter? IIRC, its a Mann filter.
It just works.

Yep - the OEM or OE supplier ones are well-made and don't exhibit as much crushing or collapse issue as aftermarket ones.

Bought a vehicle that has a cartridge filter and looking for good replacements as I don't intend to use OEM. Last time I owned a vehicle with a cartridge filter was around 2002 when they first came out (VW VR6 engine) and you only had one or two options... Now I see there's plenty to choose from, all the way from $2 Rockauto Ultrapowers, to $15 brand name ones.

Is price a good indicator of quality? Looking at product photos, some of the cheapie filters look to have more substantial media than the high dollar ones. Are efficiency ratings usually advertised? I can't find anything of value on Rockauto's website that might help me in quest to find a filter with the best bang for buck ratio. What should I be looking for in a good filter? Any certain brands better than others, or are most created equal? I can certainly see there are less variables with these than canister filters; I suppose it all boils down to the filter media they use, is what I assume. The application is a Kia/Hyundai 3.3L V6 GDI engine.

I have used several brands in my wife's 2014 Chrysler T&C. Brands include K&N, Wix, Mobil 1 and Mopar. I have stuck with Mopar (OEM for me) the last several changes as it seems to be the best price and available at Walmart or Farm & Fleet in my area. The Mopar filter structure seemed to hold up better than the Wix. The Wix cartridge showed deformation in the pleats when I used it. The Mobil 1 and K&N seemed to be good but more expensive than the Mopar in my area. I vote for OEM due to cost and quality given my experience.

Last edited:
The napa platinum line doesn't cover many of the cartridge styles, unfortunately. The Gold that fits my 2.7 Ford is still 18.00. Sorry, not adding much to the conversation, I guess, rather lamenting about lack of cartridge options in the upper lines.

Last edited:
Back