2004 Prius RTOD; battery failure

Thought I would just add this record of my 2004 Prius item in case someone searched the forum.

Purchased this vehicle from my parents in 2016 when they downsized their life; had 65K miles on it, always garaged kept, not really driven in snow .

Repaired the coolant valve for the thermos bottle last fall and it promptly failed 4 weeks later. I believe it had been previously replaced (common issue)

Got the RTOD (red triangle of death) last week; decided to just get it repaired with a Toyota battery; coolant valve will be replaced under warranty.

Car has 136K and burns no oil on 12-15K OCI; OC is decided on 'when best to not have to change the oil during the winter' If it is late October and it has 12K, then it gets changed.

No other issues other than new tires, coolant change, tuneup and rear brake light assembly replacement (LEDs don't burn out but the assembly is soldered badly)

So yes, the batteries fail, but some after 17 years of use.

Around town mileage in the summer is close to 60, highway 54; I rarely exceed 60mph when driving.

-Thomas

Last edited:
60/54 mpg is with the original battery? How do you get that kind of fuel mileage? With my 08 Prius I get around 43 mpg average and I drive it easy. I did get 47-48 after putting some Amsoil Fuel Treatment but that only last for the one tank.

I forgot to add; I've also changed the ATF twice, the first with D4 and the second time with D6

What was the battery replacement cost?

They indicated $1900 for the part

How do you get that kind of fuel mileage?

I am not a hypermiler, not even close, but I've found the key is to 'let the hybrid system work its magic' The engine RPMs are always low and coasting to stops with a light foot on the brake and moderate acceleration is how i drive. No kids, no wife so I don't have to be anywhere and any time. lol It is not really a car that works well @ 3/4 throttle; contrary to popular misconception, it will move if directed to

In retrospect spending a bit short of 2400 bucks on a 17 year old car repair is kinda crazy, but I only paid 4K for it when i picked it up. It is still a nice driving and riding car.

I am 6'3" so 'the yaris doesn't get it done' for certain types of trips.

I've given some thought as well to the cost of replacing the hybrid battery in my highlander (not that it has gone bad, but when it does). I would treat it as any other major repair (like replacing the trans, etc.)--if I can expect a lot more miles out of the car, I'll probably do it, especially when I think of what $2400 could get me if I were to take that and get something else.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
In retrospect spending a bit short of 2400 bucks on a 17 year old car repair is kinda crazy, but I only paid 4K for it when i picked it up. It is still a nice driving and riding car.

The original thermos valve on the earlier years would develop a squeal but work, and the part was updated. After that is done it is not a common issue. It's not something that can really be repaired it is a redesigned part.
That is not a bad price for the battery.

Originally Posted by diyjake
60/54 mpg is with the original battery? How do you get that kind of fuel mileage? With my 08 Prius I get around 43 mpg average and I drive it easy. I did get 47-48 after putting some Amsoil Fuel Treatment but that only last for the one tank.

Isn't the surge forward in Technology just astounding?

In the end this type of car is for people who care only about economy and not driving pleasure. I drove my neighbor's Prius and would never care about driving it again, for him though he was thrilled at playing with the system and see the MPG. NOT FOR ME!

... With my 08 Prius I get around 43 mpg average and I drive it easy. I did get 47-48 after putting some Amsoil Fuel Treatment ...
Why so low? Lots of very short trips?

You can tell the engineered the heck out of the 2nd gen prii.. If it had been a flop they'd have lost so much face.

Originally Posted by CR94
... With my 08 Prius I get around 43 mpg average and I drive it easy. I did get 47-48 after putting some Amsoil Fuel Treatment ...
Why so low? Lots of very short trips?

43-45 mpg seems to be the average for a gen 2 Prius, there are some people that get around 50 mpg but that is usually with a newer hybrid battery. I still have the original battery and my prius was very well taken care of mechanically.

What do you get with your 2011?

... What do you get with your 2011?
Long-term average is about 59 mpg actual overall (which would be about 62 on the lying display) over the ~70k miles I've had it. 4th-generation ones easily beat that.

Originally Posted by CR94
... What do you get with your 2011?
Long-term average is about 59 mpg actual overall (which would be about 62 on the lying display) over the ~70k miles I've had it. 4th-generation ones easily beat that.

That is awesome! I was looking into getting a gen 3 but the head gasket / egr issues scare me a little bit.

I am not sure when this happened but there appears to have been a MAJOR price increase of the Hybrid Battery Packs from Toyota. I just checked my catalog this morning and the list price for Part #G9510-47031 is now $3300. It used to be $1950. There was a similar increase for the Gen 3 pack as well.

If someone quoted you $2K, I would jump on this right away.

... I was looking into getting a gen 3 but the head gasket / egr issues scare me a little bit.
Me too. I didn't know about any of that when I bought the car. The EGR issue is manageable with occasional clean-outs. I believe I could do it myself, if I had a good place to work---which I don't. A head gasket swap, not so much.

Final tally is $2653

$1950 for battery
$392 for removal and install
Misc labor for coolant control valve (part was still under warranty)
Misc shop supplies and new coolant.

In the end this type of car is for people who care only about economy and not driving pleasure.......... NOT FOR ME!

No prius thread is complete without the requisite comment. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Pelican
In the end this type of car is for people who care only about economy and not driving pleasure. I drove my neighbor's Prius and would never care about driving it again, for him though he was thrilled at playing with the system and see the MPG. NOT FOR ME!

When gas prices hit averages around $4.50 a gallon not so long ago when I lived in Chicago I was thinking hard about one.

Back