Schaeffers 7000 5W30

Metals (ppm)
Iron (Fe)
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb) Copper (Cu) Tin (Sn) Aluminium (Al)
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Contaminants (ppm)
Silicon (Si)
Sodium (Na)
Potassium (K)
Additives (ppm)
Magnesium (Mg) 902
Calcium (Ca) 1189
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P) 861
Zinc (Zn) 990
Molybdenum (Mo) 347
Boron (B) 10
Contaminants
Water (%) Coolant No
Physical Tests
Viscosity (cSt 40C) 61.4
Viscosity (cSt 100C) 10.4
Fuel (%) Soot (%) Infrared Physical / Chemical
Base Number (mgKOH/g) 5.9
Oxidation (Abs/0.1mm)
E2412/D7414

Lab used was Chevron Lubewatch and the bottle said SN+

One good lookin oil!
grin.gif

I've been using Schaeffer oil for a while now

Originally Posted by BTLew81
The 7000 is a blend and 9000 is full syn, correct?

Correct. The 7000 series base oil is a mix of Group II (approx. 80%) with about 20% Group IV PAO.

The 9000 series base oil is a mix of Group IV-V.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

Correct. The 7000 series base oil is a mix of Group II (approx. 80%) with about 20% Group IV PAO.

Thank you. In that case the 9000 seems like a decent deal, price wise.

I seem to remember a thread comparing to two a while back but I can't find it but I think most people thought the 7000 looked better on paper than the 9000.

Perhaps that's because 'most people' who commented that way don't know anything AND they think the VOAs show them every relevant thing. (-;

The data sheet shows this oil to have a TBN of 7.0-7.5 but the VOA shows my sample to have a TBN of 5.9. Makes me wonder if the lab made a mistake or the oil is off.

Schaeffer's pricing is leaning more towards the fleet end of things. If you want a 12qt case, the oil is pretty pricey, but if you buy a 5 gallon bucket it's actually downright reasonable.

Only problem is that unless you're maintaining a fleet or you drive A LOT, it's going to take a long time to use 5 gallons of oil.

Also, one thing that a lot of tests miss is that Schaeffer uses (or at least used, until recently) antimony in their oils. Most labs dont even test for it, so it gets overlooked. I'm no scientist, but I think the idea is that it has a synergistic effect with moly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by littlehulkster

Schaeffer's pricing is leaning more towards the fleet end of things. If you want a 12qt case, the oil is pretty pricey, but if you buy a 5 gallon bucket it's actually downright reasonable.

Only problem is that unless you're maintaining a fleet or you drive A LOT, it's going to take a long time to use 5 gallons of oil.

Also, one thing that a lot of tests miss is that Schaeffer uses (or at least used, until recently) antimony in their oils. Most labs dont even test for it, so it gets overlooked. I'm no scientist, but I think the idea is that it has a synergistic effect with moly.

I'm only paying $8.30 a quart for Schaeffer at NAPA.

21.gif

Schaeffer 9003D 5w30 is $6.69 my cost direct as a commercial account. Problem is that I have to order $375.00 minimum to get wholesale and shipping free. Their shipping is crazy high for a couple of cases of oil. I like the products but no local vendor to buy from so shipping is a must. Amsoil commercial accounts get $11.99 flat rate until $250 then its free.

Great company OUTSTANDING PRODUCTS . Years ago when we ran all our Industrial fleet from moving equipment to shop machinery all we used with great results thru the years . I sill use NEUTRA to this day .

Whoa! Those Moly numbers are crazy high! Small base number though, so surprised that. I believe even my house brand Napa syn blend has a higher TBN. Thanks for the VOA!

TBN

I can almost guarantee they ran ASTM D4739 (Hard Base).

The Data Sheet number was likely from ASTM D2896 (Total Base).

The labs we use for UOA usually only do D4739. D2896 is preferred for new oil and is what you will usually find on the Datasheet.

7000 has always had a relatively low TBN to the best of my memory. Back in the SL days it still performed a lot closer to M1 than Mobil Drive Clean in OCI length. It may be a blend but it's the Cadillac of Blends. I'm sorry to hear they are no longer 30% PAO. I guess even they have had to cut a few corners.

Bob's Oil, may it always be a great product.

Last edited:
TBN

I can almost guarantee they ran ASTM D4739 (Hard Base).

The Data Sheet number was likely from ASTM D2896 (Total Base).

The labs we use for UOA usually only do D4739. D2896 is preferred for new oil and is what you will usually find on the Datasheet.

7000 has always had a relatively low TBN to the best of my memory. Back in the SL days it still performed a lot closer to M1 than Mobil Drive Clean in OCI length. It may be a blend but it's the Cadillac of Blends. I'm sorry to hear they are no longer 30% PAO. I guess even they have had to cut a few corners.

Bob's Oil, may it always be a great product.

You are correct. I called the lab and they run TBN as if it were a UOA. They said new oil will always show a point to a point and a half lower using this test. I think its a good buy for a high quality blend that's probably better than most group 3 syn.

You are correct. I called the lab and they run TBN as if it were a UOA. They said new oil will always show a point to a point and a half lower using this test. I think its a good buy for a high quality blend that's probably better than most group 3 syn.

As I recall (I am getting old,)
350 TBI Chevy Truck had TBN numbers of just above 2.0 (Old Blackstone method reputed to be near 1.0 with their newer method) at 4500 mi - Mobil Drive Clean (Group 1+), 9000 mi - 7000 (30% PAO / Group 2+) and 11,000 mi - M1 (PAO, POE, AN) of course none of those formulas exist today but it provides some insight why many of us still have a fondness for Bob's Oil.

I was a member long ago but lost access to my account and started a new one. I remember seeing Bob's post. When did he pass?

I was a member long ago but lost access to my account and started a new one. I remember seeing Bob's post. When did he pass?

As far as I know Bob Winters is still alive and living in Ocala FL. However it's been a couple of years since I heard from him. He has not been associated with the site in many years. I know Schaeffer's got pressure from other dealers after he started the site and so he couldn't sell from.here. My understanding is he still felt pressured over the site and eventually sold it for that reason. He still posted after that time to time but just kind of got less and less.

He's a great guy. He never overtly tried to sell you on his products. He always let them speak for themselves and would.happily recommend a good Mobil or Amsoil product if you asked without interjecting Schaeffer's unless asked. He is a true class act.

Back