KIA 3.3L V6 (Lambda ii) oil suggestions

Just acquired a 2015 Sedona with the GDI 3.3L V6. Was surprised to see in the owners manual that it recommends 5w-30 or 10w-30 in the viscosity chart. I thought all vehicles had transitioned to 5w-20 or thinner a long time ago. It bums me out because I have been picking up 5w-20 and 0w-20 synthetics on clearance (such as the Rotella Gas Truck they were giving away after rebate a few months ago) in anticipation of getting a new vehicle. Not sure I can stomach going down a grade on a newer vehicle with 28k miles.

All my xW-30 oils I have on hand are older stuff that prior to the widespread adoption of GDI, so I think they lack the additive package that prevents against LSPI. Should I be concerned with this in this engine? The owners manual simply states any oil rated ACEA A5 will do, or in the absence of that GF-3 or API SL is acceptable. I believe my older oils meet those ratings but don't have the SN+ and newer Dexos ratings that might offer better protection for DI.

Not sure what to do with my 5w-20 stash as none of my vehicles take it (the Odyssey will be sold soon.) Maybe use it in the cold weather months? I should probably just invest in newer oil for the Kia, rather than use the older stuff that I have. Is this the correct approach? What oils would you recommend for the 3.3L?

I would use up what you have and just add some heavier oil to it. I just bought plenty of 5w20,0w20 and even 0w16 on clearance that I plan to mix with some of the 20w50 and 15w40 that I have on hand. Really doubt that Kia engine will care what goes in there as long as you don't go thinner than what is recommended. Those were great engines and just require oil changes often because of warranty. But you may already be out of warranty so it may not matter. I just wouldn't go thinner than 5w30 if that is what is recommended. Since you will be doing short runs on oil anyway, mixing shouldn't matter one bit. The nice thing about the Kia and Hyundai cars is that they don't really care what oil you use, doesn't even have to be synthetic. I am probably going to buy one of their vehicles next for that reason.

I run conventional 5w/30 in my wifes 2017 (3.3) Hyundai Santa Fe XL. The 3.3 is a very nice motor.

I always like the "look what I bought for my stash"-then later "I don't know what I'm going to do with "whatever weight" motor oil . It's hilarious.

Last edited:
Walmart carries Havoline ProDS 5w-30 in 6qt boxes for $17 at Walmart right now. Buying two would be free shipping to my door. I believe the oil change on this engine is 6qt, this might be just the ticket.

Wouldn't be opposed to mixing grades but Rotella gas truck only comes in 0w-20, 5w-20, 5w-30, so I'd have to blend completely different oils to arrive at a true 30 weight. Not a big fan of mixing different oils, so I'll probably hold onto that and mix some 5w-20 and 5w-30 for use in the colder months.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Just acquired a 2015 Sedona with the GDI 3.3L V6. Was surprised to see in the owners manual that it recommends 5w-30 or 10w-30 in the viscosity chart. I thought all vehicles had transitioned to 5w-20 or thinner a long time ago. It bums me out because I have been picking up 5w-20 and 0w-20 synthetics on clearance (such as the Rotella Gas Truck they were giving away after rebate a few months ago) in anticipation of getting a new vehicle. Not sure I can stomach going down a grade on a newer vehicle with 28k miles.

All my xW-30 oils I have on hand are older stuff that prior to the widespread adoption of GDI, so I think they lack the additive package that prevents against LSPI. Should I be concerned with this in this engine? The owners manual simply states any oil rated ACEA A5 will do, or in the absence of that GF-3 or API SL is acceptable. I believe my older oils meet those ratings but don't have the SN+ and newer Dexos ratings that might offer better protection for DI.

Not sure what to do with my 5w-20 stash as none of my vehicles take it (the Odyssey will be sold soon.) Maybe use it in the cold weather months? I should probably just invest in newer oil for the Kia, rather than use the older stuff that I have. Is this the correct approach? What oils would you recommend for the 3.3L?

Does your 3.3 engine hold five quarts? There are a couple 5w40s out there that are SN Plus. I would blend 1-2 quarts of 5W40 with your 5w20s from your stash.
Keep doing it, until the stash is gone.
Congrats on the ride. That 3.3 engine is supposedly the best of the S. Korean bunch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2

Does your 3.3 engine hold five quarts? There are a couple 5w40s out there that are SN Plus. I would blend 1-2 quarts of 5W40 with your 5w20s from your stash.
Keep doing it, until the stash is gone.
Congrats on the ride. That 3.3 engine is supposedly the best of the S. Korean bunch.

It holds 6 quarts.....

Blend it off 50/50 with heavier oils. Blend with 5w-40 for the winter months and 10w-40 for the summer months. Don't stress too much, as even the high quality oils of today still shear, and you end up with thinner oil near the end of the interval anyway, Your the Kia will be fine, no need to waste perfectly good oil.

I have the earlier version of that engine in ours and it is extremely tolerant of about any oil you would care to put in it. Back in 12 KIA was pushing 5w20 for the engine in the "me too" that was all the rage. But they also allowed just about any other grade except 0x anything.

They must have wised up on the thinner oils, even my manual quickly recommends jumping to a 30 grade for towing or a warm environment, that says it all right there.

I have run mostly 30 grades with great success, two runs of 20s and the engine did not grenade but I ran it over winter. Like I said it's a very tolerant engine though, I've run 0w40 and now 5w40 you can't tell one whit of difference.

Home blending turns into a crap shoot, I know I used to do it all the time and the one UOA I did was a surprise. Save the 20s for something else or run it in winter.

That motor is fine with API SL oil.
Being a GDI engine, I would stick with an xw-30 oil. I would not use 5w-20 in it at all, not even blending (and I am one that has been know to do a frankenbrew a time or two (or 10).)
The 3.3 is a good motor despite the GDI (from what I have seen, they have a 2 stage injector that does get fuel on the backside of the intake valve) and don't have LSPI issues.
Interesting note is that in my '18 Santa Fe with the same motor owners manual allows 5w-30 and 5w-40 for all temps, and 10w-30 for temps above 0°F. SM recommended, but even SL is allowed if SM not available.

IMO, throw that xw-20 on craigslist or facebook for a few bucks more than you paid for it and but the correct weight. I think Mobil still has some rebates going on for a decent deal, or just grab a 6 qt box of 5w-30 synthetic Havoline @ Walmart for ~$17.

Originally Posted by CKN

I always like the "look what I bought for my stash"-then later "I don't know what I'm going to do with "whatever weight" motor oil . It's hilarious.

If done correctly, it is not an issue.
I have quite a stash, but also have multiple vehicles that use different oil weights (with one that can run anything from 0w-20 to 15w-40).

But I agree, some get caught up in the sale and end up with something they don't need or can't use.
I admit have done that before, but not anymore, I passed on the 0w-16 deals lately, just no use for it, even if it is free.

Originally Posted by blupupher
That motor is fine with API SL oil.
Being a GDI engine, I would stick with an xw-30 oil. I would not use 5w-20 in it at all, not even blending (and I am one that has been know to do a frankenbrew a time or two (or 10).)
The 3.3 is a good motor despite the GDI (from what I have seen, they have a 2 stage injector that does get fuel on the backside of the intake valve) and don't have LSPI issues.
Interesting note is that in my '18 Santa Fe with the same motor owners manual allows 5w-30 and 5w-40 for all temps, and 10w-30 for temps above 0°F. SM recommended, but even SL is allowed if SM not available.

IMO, throw that xw-20 on craigslist or facebook for a few bucks more than you paid for it and but the correct weight. I think Mobil still has some rebates going on for a decent deal, or just grab a 6 qt box of 5w-30 synthetic Havoline @ Walmart for ~$17.

Originally Posted by CKN

If done correctly, it is not an issue.
I have quite a stash, but also have multiple vehicles that use different oil weights (with one that can run anything from 0w-20 to 15w-40).

But I agree, some get caught up in the sale and end up with something they don't need or can't use.
I admit have done that before, but not anymore, I passed on the 0w-16 deals lately, just no use for it, even if it is free.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for your honesty. I too-believe there are those on this board who (brag) buy oil "they think somewhere they might to be able to use" and post the low (or free price if a rebate) of the oil-only for it to become a problem later on. Even free oil can be a problem.

Back